Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tmcphail

May 11, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Johnny Vegas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lost: Rock Empire cams & Black diamond quickdraw on pitch 3 to 4 in January 04. Lead route and left gear in place for a second rope team to follow up and clean. While following they missed some cams in a crack and assumed we ran the route out. No one missed the gear until we got back from trip. By chance did anyone recover the gear?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Awesome route, especially the continuation up solar slab!

vegastradguy

May 11, 2004, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Re: Johnny Vegas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

serves you right for not doing a gear check as soon as you finished the climb. i'm sure that cam and draw have a new, happy home.

last time i checked the rulebook of trad leading...finders keepers.

tmcphail

May 12, 2004, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, because after rapping down in the dark I would have been all gung ho to climb back up for it in the dark!

I'm glad not all climbers share your view. I know this for a fact since last week while I was out there another group found some gear that they were asking everyone they came across trying to find it's owner.

cloudbreak

May 12, 2004, 8:50 PM
Post #4 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
serves you right for not doing a gear check as soon as you finished the climb. i'm sure that cam and draw have a new, happy home.

How about "it really helps to do a gear check once you've finished a climb, preventing things like this from happening."

But no, you had to word it like a punkass.

Partner climboard

May 12, 2004, 8:53 PM
Post #5 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, that sounded a bit harsh.

If I come across a piece of gear I'll grab it and keep it BUT if I run into someone afterwards who said they are missing a piece of gear I'd gladly return it.

vegastradguy

May 12, 2004, 8:57 PM
Post #6 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first of all, you do a gear check at the top of the climb, not the bottom, that way you can pickup any lost gear on the way down.

second, if i find a cam in the rock, its mine. if i bump into someone who said they lost their gear and it turns out i found it, of course i'll return it. but hey, if its booty, its booty, and its finders-keepers.

you're a moron for waiting MONTHS after your climb to ask if you can have your cam back. hows that for harsh?

sandbag

May 12, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #7 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
first of all, you do a gear check at the top of the climb, not the bottom, that way you can pickup any lost gear on the way down.

second, if i find a cam in the rock, its mine. if i bump into someone who said they lost their gear and it turns out i found it, of course i'll return it. but hey, if its booty, its booty, and its finders-keepers.

you're a moron for waiting MONTHS after your climb to ask if you can have your cam back. hows that for harsh?

Two points for the take down...
Score 2 points for major reality check....

sticky_fingers

May 12, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #8 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Considering he joined rc.com on April 29, I'd say his post was pretty timely. Maybe he didn't know of rc.com when he climbed it. Maybe he tried asking through other venues and somebody pointed him here.

Agree with checking at the top though...

There was something stuck in the rock when climboard and I were on it, but it wasn't your piece, tmcphail

addiroids

May 12, 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #9 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Come on guys, you will find and booty enough gear in your life that it is better to be decent in your responses, lest someone not return you the favor.

I didn't find one, but if you come to Tahquitz and let me sandbag you for a weekend, I will give you a Rock Empire cam to replace the one you lost. Your choice of cam, my choice of routes.

I'm serious about this.

And John, the offer stands for you as well, however, you must follow ME up some routes for a weekend. Bring some batteries for that headlamp for Saturday night, but don't bother bring a sleeping bag. There will be no sleeping. You can keep up, I will give you a Rock Empire cam of mine, again, your choice.

I'm serious about this one too.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

flamer

May 12, 2004, 10:41 PM
Post #10 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I didn't find one, but if you come to Tahquitz and let me sandbag you for a weekend, I will give you a Rock Empire cam to replace the one you lost. Your choice of cam, my choice of routes.

I'm serious about this.

And John, the offer stands for you as well, however, you must follow ME up some routes for a weekend. Bring some batteries for that headlamp for Saturday night, but don't bother bring a sleeping bag. There will be no sleeping. You can keep up, I will give you a Rock Empire cam of mine, again, your choice.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

HaHa!!

And Paul throws down the gauntlet!!!

good stuff!!

josh

vegastradguy

May 12, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #11 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pffft...what am i going to do with a rock empire cam? use it as a paperweight? no thanks. :lol:

paul, i still owe you a speed ascent of something out here in RR, but i dont do belay b*tch.

josh, you call that a gauntlet? please. :roll:

finally, if i'm dumb/unlucky enough to lose a cam on a climb, i chalk it up to a loss and go buy another. i'd never hold my breath waiting for someone to return it to me....

flamer

May 12, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #12 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
paul, i still owe you a speed ascent of something out here in RR, but i dont do belay b*tch.

josh, you call that a gauntlet? please. :roll:

So you're saying you'd have no problem keeping up with paul?

Paul- I think he's challenging you.

josh

moof

May 13, 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #13 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...While following they missed some cams in a crack and assumed we ran the route out.

Was this 2 parties of 2 with the second party pink pointing? Or was this a party of 3? I'm curious as to why you had gear that wasn't clipped to the rope.

The big wall mantra of "If it's not tied it's gone." comes to mind. If it's a party of 3 then the second should have reclipped the second rope into the gear. No more lost gear. If it's 2 parties of 2 you should have had separate racks. The only thing that comes to mind is if the second on the first party was a worthless gym rat and couldn't figure out how to clean a piece or two.

dirtineye

May 13, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #14 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Come on guys, you will find and booty enough gear in your life that it is better to be decent in your responses, lest someone not return you the favor.

I'm serious about this.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Hey dipstick,

IT's been said already, but who would want a crappy robot cam anyway?

Feck speed ascents, I got stuff you will be lucky to get up at all. Maybe they are sandbags, maybe not, you'll just have to come see hahahahaha.

Bring your lard-butt back to the south this fall.

Maybe I'll get busy and post some pics as bait..

addiroids

May 13, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #15 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, I like to get my FA's without leading on aids too "clean" the route ("Let's clean all that 5.12 off that and get to the 5.7 holds underneath"), then headpointing, then preprotecting it for a lead, THEN after working the new 5.4 into submission, finally leading it. Besides, how high is that choss out there on them river banks anyways Sonny-boy? Like 15-20 feet?

No thanks, come to California where the rock is big, the cracks are vertical (a horizontal crack isn't even a crack, it's a granny-rail), and the "hot" chicks are the ones with scars on their elbows, triceps, and backs of their hands, not the ones with greater than half of their teeth still there and a family tree that looks more like a braided and intertwined rope than a forked tree.

Come out to here, where we use aid to make stuff harder, not easier.

Can your Governor bench press 500 pounds?

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

sarcat

May 13, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #16 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An entertaining flame fest this post is.

cloudbreak

May 13, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #17 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dirtineye

May 14, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #18 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sorry, I like to get my FA's without leading on aids too "clean" the route ("Let's clean all that 5.12 off that and get to the 5.7 holds underneath"), then headpointing, then preprotecting it for a lead, THEN after working the new 5.4 into submission, finally leading it. Besides, how high is that choss out there on them river banks anyways Sonny-boy? Like 15-20 feet?

No thanks, come to California where the rock is big, the cracks are vertical (a horizontal crack isn't even a crack, it's a granny-rail), and the "hot" chicks are the ones with scars on their elbows, triceps, and backs of their hands, not the ones with greater than half of their teeth still there and a family tree that looks more like a braided and intertwined rope than a forked tree.

Come out to here, where we use aid to make stuff harder, not easier.

TRADitionally yours,

Cali Dirtbag

Well lest's see, here we climb 5.4 with NO hands on lead, think you could 'handle' that? I doubt it.

By your rediculous ranting I gather that you are some sort of 5.7 top roper... OR an A0 kind of guy.

If you ever do make it east and south you will surely go home with your tail between your legs.

flamer

May 14, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #19 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you ever do make it east and south you will surely go home with your tail between your legs.

And your mom on his tick list....

josh

timstich

May 14, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you ghey spraylord guys no split this thread and skullfuk each other under the appropriate subject line? Is that not in the TOSser? It should be. FECKHEADS.

To the guy who lost the cam: Get good at cleaning gear; I mean learn all of the tricks. Like the two nut tool technique of working triggers. Then you can clean all of those pieces mere gumbies thought hopelessly lost. Then you can supplement your lost cams on one side of the ballance sheet, lose a few biners on the other side. It all evens out. The booty universe once gave me a Spyderco parachuter's knife. But alas, it took it away one fine day. Maybe you will find it and claim it as yours.

dirtineye

May 14, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #21 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can you ghey spraylord guys no split this thread and skullfuk each other under the appropriate subject line? Is that not in the TOSser? It should be. FECKHEADS.

To the guy who lost the cam: Get good at cleaning gear; I mean learn all of the tricks. Like the two nut tool technique of working triggers. Then you can clean all of those pieces mere gumbies thought hopelessly lost. Then you can supplement your lost cams on one side of the ballance sheet, lose a few biners on the other side. It all evens out. The booty universe once gave me a Spyderco parachuter's knife. But alas, it took it away one fine day. Maybe you will find it and claim it as yours.

Party Pooper!

mother_sheep

May 14, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #22 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

And your mom on his tick list....

josh

And your mom has a nice house with a very, very warm shower. ..

As you were. . .

sarcat

May 14, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #23 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found a Spyderco knife once. Maple Canyon, UT circa June, 2002.

Partner j_ung

May 14, 2004, 3:45 PM
Post #24 of 38 (3870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
finally, if i'm dumb/unlucky enough to lose a cam on a climb, i chalk it up to a loss and go buy another. i'd never hold my breath waiting for someone to return it to me....

Haw haw! I'd be too embarrassed to ask for it back, especially if I lost several on one route! Get smarter partners. :P

pettsnjam

May 14, 2004, 3:49 PM
Post #25 of 38 (3867 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy
I feel that maybe you need to rethink what the climbing community is all about. If you find someone's gear the right thing to do is ask the party ahead of you if they lost it. Don't wait until someone ask you. Next time you lose something on a climbing I hope someone returns it to you then you will relize it never about booty

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook