RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tplg00

May 12, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #1 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Soft Shell Pants
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for soft shell pants, and I only have the internet as a choice for purchasing, nothing close that has the pants I am looking for.
I am considering: BD Alpine Pants, Mountain Hardwear Alchemy Pants, Cloudveil Symmetry, and OR Granite Pants. I like them a little loose, so if any of you have suggestions I would really appreciate any help.
Other suggestions would be appreciated too.
Thanks,
Tim

vegastradguy

May 12, 2004, 12:10 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Re: Soft Shell Pants [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the BD Alpine and wore them exclusively until just recently. (i'm trying out the REI Mistrals...got 'em mad cheap...)

The BD is a good pant, the only things i dont like are 1) they are baggy and a bit loose in the waist (i have the small size, still loose). 2) The elastic band on the bottom of the leg. i'd prefer a pull cord here with a side zip (like the mistrals have), but hey, they're alpine pants, so i cant complain too much. Other than that, a good pant that has survived an entire season of offwidth and chimney trad fests and lived to tell the tale. They're still in great shape, i expect at least two or three more seasons out of 'em. I use them year round, so they see plenty of abuse!

My next pant, however, is the Cloudveil. i prefer their fit to BD, and i'm a bit of a Cloudveil whore. heh.

Good luck choosing, they're all amazing pants!

harrisha

May 12, 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #3 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Backpacker reviewied soft shells and soft shell pants a while back.

tplg00

May 12, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #4 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do the mistrals fit?
I looked them up and they are MUCH cheaper than all the others,
by less than HALF!
Thanks for the tip.

tplg00

May 12, 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How do the mistrals fit?
I looked them up and they are MUCH cheaper than all the others,
by less than HALF!
Thanks for the tip.

vegastradguy

May 12, 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They fit nice. I actually prefer them to the BD's since they're a little snugger in the waist and fit my leg better. They also come in a nice light khaki so i dont roast in them as easily. they also zip off at the knee to b/c shorts! woo!

the only thing is how sturdy are they? single stitching in alot of places, so i dont know. either way, they're a nice summer pant, and i got them for 20% off, so they're worth it.

i'm not concerned about the fabric (they're schoeller), but more the stitching. time will tell!

paulraphael

May 13, 2004, 3:28 PM
Post #7 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one suggestion ... make sure whatever you order has a fly. it's easy to overlook details like that when buying online, and those kinds of omissions drive me crazy.

also, make sure you know what kind of fabric you're getting. schoeller's fabric line is very confusing. lots of pants advertise "schoeller dynamic," for instance, but they're not made out of exactly the same version. there are versions that go by that name that are of slightly different weights and have slightly different finishes. some seem much nicer to me than others.

at least make sure you know the general weight of the pants. if they're for summer, they shouldn't weigh more than a pound or so. if you see 20oz pants made out of schoeller extreme, then they will be heavy and warm--maybe not what you're looking for.

the best quality i've seen is the mammut pants--courmayeur for lightweight, champ for cold. pricey, but they have the nicest fabric of any i've seen. mammut's version of schoeller dynamic is brushed on the inside and feels nicer (and wicks better) than anyone else's that i've found. it doesn't feel like plastic against your skin. also their fit and construction are excellent. might be a bit on the slim side for your preferences, though.

mountaintools.com sells both. they come in a million sizes.

beyondfleece.com makes custom schoeller pants for not a lot of money, but beware that they use a very simple pattern for their pants ... more of a blue jeans cut than a climbing pants cut. i've never had a pair, but i can't imagine they'll be as nice to climb in unless you have very unusual size requirements.

tobym

May 13, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like with many bits of gear, fit is key. I like my Marmot ATVs a lot, slightly more generous :oops: than other brands, and the construction is exellent

tplg00

May 16, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to thank you all for the excellent advice.
One more question for everyone: Do any of these pants come with suspenders or the ability to place suspenders? I'd like to have the ability to place suspenders especially with a large rack, pack and harness which can at times be uncomfortable with strenous climbing especially if your pants are falling down.
Any thoughts? Thanks to all in advance.
Tim

paulraphael

May 17, 2004, 4:25 AM
Post #10 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

never used them, but there are suspender loops on the mammut pants.

gottarock

May 17, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #11 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Schoeller is magic stuff...
Have been wearing a pair of Cloudveil Symmetry's for last 3 winters, have served me well backcountry skiing and ice climbing. They are still in great shape, plan on getting another few seasons out of them. They are way too warm for late spring through early fall, even here in Colo.
Also have a pair of Mammut Courmayeur pants. They fit slightly baggier than the Symmetry's but are great for climbing and hiking during the warmer month's. Am not crazy about the velcro at ankles but otherwise a great product.
You might check out the Moonstone 'Cirque' pants... trim fit, same weight as Mammuts with ankle zip instead of velcro.

rockit

May 17, 2004, 5:44 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mantra pants by golite are by far the best I've seen: schoeller extreme, 3xdry, and some other features, gusseted and tapered ankle closures.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook