Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
How to "Feel Pretty" On A Climbing Trip?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gradstudentclimber

May 12, 2004, 1:11 AM
Post #1 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

How to "Feel Pretty" On A Climbing Trip?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ladies,

I'm a guy lucky enough to have a wonderful wife who has recently come to share my obsession with climbing. Her patience and endurance on the rock are superb and I expect she'll soon surpass me in climbing ability, but that's not why I'm writing.

My wife is bothered by not "feeling pretty" when we're out camping and climbing, often in areas lacking running water and certainly lacking showers. The problem seems to mainly concern her hair, which is beautiful and which she (justifiably) likes to show off. She prefers not to hide it under hats, and doesn't do scarves. Her normal hair-doing involves a blow dryer and curling iron.

I'm at a loss to fully understand exactly what "feeling pretty" means, because I think she looks great all the time. But can anyone offer advice on tips and tricks for "feeling pretty" on camping/climbing trips? Could there perhaps be gear or a gadget that would solve all our problems?
:D

Thanks.

maww

May 12, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #2 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Re: How to "Feel Pretty" On A Climbing Trip? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if she is concerned with not being able to wash it often enough, there are products out there. They absorb oil and dirt and come in a powder form which can then be brushed out of your hair. She may have to go to a bigger store to find it - I have yet to see anything on my shelves. Or maybe a salon would have something?

Other than that, I'm not really sure what else would make her feel pretty. Try baby wipes to clean off dirt & such without running water, that might help too!

Anyone else have ideas??

moabbeth

May 12, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #3 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The problem seems to mainly concern her hair, which is beautiful and which she (justifiably) likes to show off. She prefers not to hide it under hats, and doesn't do scarves. Her normal hair-doing involves a blow dryer and curling iron.

Try a travel store, they'll likely have battery operated curling irons so she don't have to worry about finding a socket to plug it in to. I'd imagine they probably have battery powered hair dryers as well. That should solve her hair primping needs.

rockchickar

May 12, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #4 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though I cannot identify with her concerns- I have wonderfully low maintenence hair- have her try an french braid or other way of keepin it up- it decreases the messy/grease monkey look while hoding on to the graceful femininity she is searching for. I highly reccommend the baby wipe method of keeping clean in the outdoors. I commend you for posting inthe ladies room- being so concerned is great- your wife is lucky for you to be so concerned-- great for you both :righton:

mountainchick82

May 12, 2004, 3:12 AM
Post #5 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but personally I feel that going out on a climbing/camping trip that is going to be many overnights and out in the backcountry is to get away from modern day items. Though I have low maintenance hair and sometimes blow dry it I don't know what the hang up is with women who want to look their best while dirt baggin it. She should "feel pretty" knowing she is hauling herself up this rock, living in the dirt and doing things a lot of women can't do. I feel my best up on the rock, strong and beautiful.

I agree with rockchickar as far as your concern and posting in the ladies room :) kudos! And good luck to your wife in climbing, I hope she comes to love it as much as a lot of us women on here do.

gradstudentclimber

May 12, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, if she is concerned with not being able to wash it often enough, there are products out there. They absorb oil and dirt and come in a powder form which can then be brushed out of your hair. She may have to go to a bigger store to find it - I have yet to see anything on my shelves.

This sounds like one part of the solution. Anyone have any idea what this powder product is called, and where I can find it?

gradstudentclimber

May 12, 2004, 3:48 AM
Post #7 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
She should "feel pretty" knowing she is hauling herself up this rock, living in the dirt and doing things a lot of women can't do. I feel my best up on the rock, strong and beautiful.

I think she's beautiful any time of the day, including when she's covered in dirt and chalk and reaching for the next hold. Nevertheless, it's all about her feelings, thus my inquiry ...

climbingurlie

May 12, 2004, 4:46 AM
Post #8 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Baby wipes are nice; dove also has some "body refreshener" wipes. With the hair, normal baby powder can absorb oil. I know that travel companies do sell curling irons that you can just plug into the cigarette lighter in your car. Although I've never known any woman to always keep her hair down while on a climbing trip. Pony-tails are a nice way to keep your hair outta your face while you climb, yet still shows off dazzling hair. Braids are nice and very feminine.
PLUS, it's outdoors! If she's just going to end up sweaty and dirty by the end of the day. I'm sure her hair won't look any better than the rest of her after a long day. But, I guess it's just her decision.

timstich

May 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
Post #9 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

My wife is bothered by not "feeling pretty" when we're out camping and climbing, often in areas lacking running water and certainly lacking showers. The problem seems to mainly concern her hair, which is beautiful and which she (justifiably) likes to show off. She prefers not to hide it under hats, and doesn't do scarves. Her normal hair-doing involves a blow dryer and curling iron...

My wife used to have the same concern with the long hair. Now that she got it cut short, she doesn't need that high maintenance routine anymore.

As for showers, invest in a larger sized solar shower.

http://www.realgoods.com/...fm?dp=606&ts=1090416

If you aren't backpacking, you can always have a shower. Bring an s-load of extra water of course. You can make a circular shower curtain to hang off of a pole on the roof of the car as well. Power inverters will allow you to use hair dryers and curling irons, if you aren't totally embarassed to run those things in a campsite. I doubt running a hair dryer in the morning would endear you to any tent neighbors. Ha ha ha!

granite_grrl

May 12, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #10 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing that I have done to try to keep my hair a little less greasy while travelling and not showering is to try not to brush it too often. I find brushing will help spread oils from your scalp through your hair. I know that this is no way to feel pretty, but it can help you feel a little less gross.

crazygirl

May 12, 2004, 6:55 PM
Post #11 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i bring a headband with me for those bad hair days. but in my case, its not much of help.

katydid

May 12, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #12 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well, if she is concerned with not being able to wash it often enough, there are products out there. They absorb oil and dirt and come in a powder form which can then be brushed out of your hair. She may have to go to a bigger store to find it - I have yet to see anything on my shelves.

This sounds like one part of the solution. Anyone have any idea what this powder product is called, and where I can find it?

Unfortunately I don't know the name of it, but I know that you can find it at most medical supply stores (waterless shampoo, basically) and at some beauty supply stores, as well. You might also want to check at larger outdoor stores.

k.

indigo_nite

May 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #13 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read in a fashion magazine that you can put talcum powder in your hair and wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. That is supposed to be a cheater method in place of shampooing, for nights that you partied too long and couldn't shower. I haven't tried this b/c of concern about flammability but someone brought up that the alcohol evaporates and your hair doesn't remain flammible (flamable?) for long.

doesn't your wife wear a helmet though? my hair looks horrible after a day w/o washing but I shower right when I get home. a cool bandana could help. maybe you should just get one of those shower simulation bladders (or large cyclist's water bottle) so she can just wash her hair and be happy.

maculated

May 13, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #14 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cornstarch will do it.

That said, she'll adjust. I used to be one of those nice nails, perfume every day, won't see daylight without makeup kind of people. Heck, I couldn't even pee outside. After a while, she'll adjust to the new life or give up going with you if it is that important to her.

diana

May 14, 2004, 4:13 PM
Post #15 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if she would appreciate knowing you discussed her hygiene concerns on the Internet. I probably wouldn't bring it up. ;-)

That said, being smothered with compliments and affection would work for me, if I weren't an outside kind of girl!

(I always wonder, "who am I trying to impress? My man loves me, however my hair looks!")

Diana

estherator

May 14, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #16 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your wife is going to have to reexamine her concepts of what makes her feel pretty. She should learn to take joy in her strength and skill. Solar showers are great-bring extra water, if that's a necessity, but I'd like to point out, regarding the hair issue, that a bun, ponytail, braid, or updo of some sort is going to be a necessity if you are roping in. Long hair left loose to get caught in a belay/rappell device is not merely vain, but dangerous-I doubt your wife will feel very pretty when she loses a large hunk of hair and scalp in a bloody mess. My tone may sound harsh, but I think that the first hand lesson learned would be infinitely more so. The upside to putting her hair up? It's going to hold up to the wind and whatnot (heat/ humidity) longer. So she'll look less bedraggled at the end of the day. No point getting gussied up to look wrecked-worse than if you hadn't done anything in an hour or two.

bluesage12

May 18, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #17 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about propane shower? Hot water, clean hair - in the middle of nowhere. This thing changed my life:) Takes less than a few minutes to set up.

Partner holdplease2

May 18, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #18 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like your wife probably gets plenty of positive commentary on her hair from her friends/colleagues, and probably you, which is great.

What portion of the compliments that your wife gets, would you say have to do with her hair or other potentially "high maintainance" aspects of herself? (I don't mean high maintainance in a negative way.)

Many people depend on just one or two aspects of themselves to define them...their income, their car, their x-treme sport, whatever. Women do this with their appearance.

Part of helping your wife to redefine her beauty in her own mind is to perhaps give some more positive reinforcement of her other qualities...to compensate for all of the attention that her hair/nails/whatever get.

Do you love her shoulders? They will look great, dirty or not. Does the color of her favorite climbing shirt bring out her eyes? Maybe get her a climbing outfit that she looks fantastic in and tell her so.

Suggest that she wear her hair back or up when you go out one night...this will show her that you think that climbing-friendly hairstyles can be hot, and are not just for backcountry application...then give her the attention she deserves when you get home.

This will take time, but may serve you well.

Just my two cents.

-Kate.

aleclimb320

May 19, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #19 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are some helpful products I have found -

Pond's Cleansing and Makeup Removing Cloths - perfect for face washing, they don't need water and don't dry out, can even be used on the rest of the bod

Visine - great for brightening eyes and the one made specifically for allergies is great for outdoors

Tinted Moisturizer with an SPF - Avon makes a great one

Tinted Lip Balm with an SPF - Kiehls makes a great one, can even be rubbed into cheeks

Cornstarch - makes a great dry shampoo - sprinkles some in, let absorb a few mins, brush it out

Bandana Headbands - can't miss, especially with a braid or two

Tea Tree Oil - dab some on an oily face, also smells good and makes a great foot rub and massage oil

Climb On Creme - Best Moisturizer on the planet - rub some on your hands and run the rest through your hair - it'll smooth it and make it smell nice

ratherbe

May 19, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #20 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*soap box mount*
Sounds like you've gotten a good number of responses... just please please please be nice to our environment. If you go the shower route, use bio soap and use it sparingly. If you go the baby wipe route, just make sure you pack it out....

*soap box dismount*

(just felt like no one had mentioned this end of getting pretty)

raelinn

May 20, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #21 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

permit me a teensy hijack as well...

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE PACK OUT AAAAAAAAALLLLLL FEMININE PRODUCTS!!!!!

I cannot tell you how many times I've VERY CAREFULLY packed out someone else's gross leftovers and TP. eeeeeeeeeew.

thanks. that's all.

troutboy

May 20, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #22 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK, I'll put myslef up for ridicule here:

1) Baby Wipes for cleaning. You can get the individually wrapped wipes or the larger boxes. The individual wipes are great for the day out or backpacking. The box is great for the car or camp.

2) There are gas powered curling irons out there. The power comes from small gas (propane ?) cartridges. Pretty widely available. One cartridge should easily last a week or more.

3) For hair washing, fill up two 1 liter bottles with water and place them on the rear window of your car (or other sunny location) inn the morning. At the end of the day you have 2 liters of hot water. If its really sunny, you might actually need to cut the hot water with cold water to make it tolerable. This even works in cooler temps, as long as it's sunny (greenhouse effect).

4) Don't ask me how I know this stuff :D

TS

keste

May 20, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #23 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd hafta agree with most posters that baby wipes/flushables are wonderful for a wipedown and that nice clean feeling.

As to hair, I would caution any hairstyle that allows your hair to get *anywhere* near your belay device. I don't have extremely long hair, but once I looked down at my climber from a top belay position and had my braid got sucked into the jaws. Happily, once my climber understood what happened, he was able to unweight the rope, but, man, it was unpleasant until then.

She could use some cutie barrettes or something to decorate her bangs. There are some books that show different braid patterns, which, I've done at the crag. Generally, I'm fairly vain about my hair and it gets set into a different style every day. A good brushing with a boar bristle hairbrush will allow those scalp oils to spread out over hair shaft to the ends. My ends are often dry so while camping I'll rub them against my scalp and then brush everything out. Gross, huh? Of course, when its helmet time, it just gets hidden beneath a bandana prior to me donning the brainbasket (some say brain bucket, but mine has ventilation holes that'll let the fluids leak out).

raelinn

May 21, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #24 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yah. she is gonna have to keep that hair back and put away. the first time she gets it all jammed up in the belay device and you have to hack her out of it, she will be sick.

Braids are far better than ponytails but are still a risk. The cute little eurobun might be the way to go. Just suck all the hair up into a ponytail holder. This looks awesome on most of us and keeps it out of the way.

I just take a very small moisturizer with spf in it, some chapstick with spf and that's it.

Dr. Bonners pure castille soap is bio, can be used for shampoo (works great on curly hair) and the lavender smells wonderful, but you can use the peppermint as toothpaste too.

I have short hair so I just get it wet, put it back where it belongs from the very frightening bed hair scene that always happens post-mummy bag and I'm on my way. Or she could just do the bouldering thing... wear a beanie. Even if it's like 80 degrees out! LOL just kidding.

I think that over time when she sees more women at the crag and on trips, she will relax her standards a little too and be more comfortable dirt baggin.

maculated

May 21, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #25 of 56 (4804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) There are gas powered curling irons out there. The power comes from small gas (propane ?) cartridges. Pretty widely available. One cartridge should easily last a week or more.

Oh my God. If I EVER meet a woman who takes one of these things camping, I will die.

Honestly, the very nature of this thread is driving me crazy. Women should be able to realize that they are beautiful without having to wear cute barettes and use gas powered curling irons. Damn Cosmo. ::shakes fist:: damn Cosmo!

I bring with me camping: moisturizer with SPF15 in it, organic face wash pad thingies to get rid of oil, baby wipes for my hands, and a bunch of ponytail holders and a bandanna. That's all you need. And I know lots of women who get by on less. PLEASE, you beautifully coiffed and made-up women, realize you're beautiful WITHOUT it! Make up is a tool, not a neccessity.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook