RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

dynamic

Apr 23, 2002, 8:59 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Atkins diet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Atkins diet (protein diet) is a recent fad in weight loss. In it, (correct me if I'm wrong) the dieter restricts carb intake with the goal of burning fat as the main source of energy.

Many climbers might want to lose extra pounds for pushing limits, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this diet.

Some experts are opposed to the diet. jt512 is one who can probably explain the benefits/drawbacks of such a change in diet. Anyone with experience should fire away.

Thanks,
d

bradhill

Apr 23, 2002, 9:44 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Atkins diet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe if you're a fat boulderer....

The Atkins diet is for people who want to lose weight without a lot of exercise by tweaking their metabolism. When you don't have carbs for energy, your body breaks down fat and muscle. Ketones, one of the byproducts of fat metabolism, can lead to fatigue and fluid loss.

In other words, it is not a diet for ATHLETES. If you're an athlete, you need a good balanced diet, especially protein and carbs- that's where you get your energy from!

roclymber

Apr 23, 2002, 10:36 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right now the search function is disabled, but awhile ago there was another post about this high-fat and high-protien no carb diet, and some very interesting and long list of reasons to NOT do it. Look for it, I think it is entitled "Carbos, Carbos, Carbos" You will learn a thing or two.

Also, every and any nutritionist out there disagrees with this stupid idiotic plan. it makes absolutely no sense, and works for those people that do absolutely nothing, but it will kill a rock climber.

thats what i got out of it.

matt

dynamic

Apr 23, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone.

holygecko

Apr 24, 2002, 3:13 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would go with the diet called get out and exercise more works for me i run alot of track and cross country though I am under weight even my g/f is out weighing me

jt512

Apr 24, 2002, 7:11 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

The Atkins diet is a high fat and protein, low-carbohydrate diet. Most of the calories in the diet come from animal foods, and red meats are unrestricted. Although, Atkins encourages dieters to eat fresh vegetables and some fruits, I doubt that many of his followers do, and so, in practice, the diet is full of not particularly healthy animal foods and low in vitamin-, mineral-, and antioxidant-rich plant foods. In short, it's unhealthy.

As Brad said, the Atkins diet will be detrimental to athletic performance, and especially to rock climbing, which is largely anaerobic. Muscles require carbohydate to perform anaerobically and the Atkins diet doesn't provide enough of it.

Furthermore, despite the high protein intake, the diet is likely to cause loss of muscle. Because carbohydrate and total calorie intake are low, large amounts of protein must be burned for energy, and some of the energy deficit is likely to be made up by burning protein from the body's protein stores, ie, its muscles.

The only way to reduce body fat is by consuming fewer calories than you burn. This is easiest to accomplish by increasing the amount of exercise you do and reducing caloric intake moderately. In fact, dieting alone, rarely works in the long-run. Exercise is a key component of weight reduction.

For an athlete -- and this includes a rock climber -- calories should be reduced mainly by reducing the amount of fat consumed. Protein and (whole, complex) carbohydrate intake should remain high in order to spare muscle.

-Jay

mikedano

Apr 24, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a little off-topic, but my wife is doing Weight Watchers, and I think that's a stellar weight loss program. The basics of WW is: eat a regulated amount of healthy food and excercise. That's it. It's slow and not easy, but that's I think the healthy way to lose weight.
However, my wife is not a serious rock climber and is just doing it to lose a few pounds. Serious climbers already in shape should probably take a different approach (i.e. more protein and exercise).

deblaunk

Apr 24, 2002, 8:21 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know I always hear people going on a diet and trying to lose weight... I am trying to figure out how to gain weight. I can only eat food when I am hungry and the more I work out the more food I eat. But I still can not seem to gain any weight. Makes it good for climbing but hard to build muscle.

Luke

andy_lemon

Apr 24, 2002, 9:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever heard of Urea?

This is taught in basic elementary Nutrition class... this is also the only drawback to the Atkins diet, that I've studied.

When you consume a quantity of protein, FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, it may damage your liver and/or kidneys. When that much protein is filtered through your body and turned into Urine, it is in the form of Urea... pure protein. This is what golf courses put on their turf... look up Agronamy and you will find this out for yourself.

Urea bad...

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook