First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

musicman

May 21, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #1 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

any skateboarders??
Report this Post
Can't Post

so, i was just curious, any skateboarders out there?! how long have you been doing it? i've been skating on and off for about 3 years,

knuckles

May 21, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Re: and skateboarders?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

20+ years of tresspassing in backyard pools...

5 minutes before the neighbors figure out you're there
5 minutes for them to decide to call the cops
another 5 for the cops to get there
gotta be out in 15 baby!

musicman

May 21, 2004, 4:07 AM
Post #3 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes!! i was hoping an old pool skater would reply, i'm just 16 so i've never ridden anything like that, its freakin' tough, i've tried to pull some Dogtown moves at the skateparks in bowls and stuff, i always end up hurting myself, me and my friends always are getting cops called on us, its SUPER lame, but living in Utah there a church every 2 blocks which makes for great skating,

ps have you ever seen the documentry Dogtown and the Z Boys,

pss i heard they were making it into a feature film, my neighbour told me (also an old pool skater)

beyond_gravity

May 21, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #4 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used too...don't have any time now.

now for some reason I haven't seen a doctor at all in the past year...funny how that works.

musicman

May 21, 2004, 4:10 AM
Post #5 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Re: any skateboarders?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its true, i've always got a sprained something or other, you should start up again man, just do soem driveway sessioning, 20 minutes a night and you be back in! ( i have to do this every time i dont' skate for a few months/suffer from Winter-Itis)

knuckles

May 21, 2004, 4:12 AM
Post #6 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

great doc... those guys were, and are, the real deal

at 31 I'm ancient as skaters go, but TA was old when I was a kid and he's still out doin it...

go cruise neighborhoods for "for sale" signs, most states insist that you drain any pool during sale...

(just a tip)

micronut

May 21, 2004, 4:17 AM
Post #7 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i used too...don't have any time now.

What a frickin' poser! No real skater ever quits. :D

I mostly ride longboards these days, and I carve my Black 29 with style. Been ska8ing over half my life.

musicman

May 21, 2004, 4:20 AM
Post #8 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, in some ways over the past 25 years skateboarding has progressed more than anyone could've ever imagined, yet in other ways its totally gone down, no one, well, that was born in the last 20 years, can pull the stuff that the z boys did, these days bigger=better, which i , i'm more of a technical skater, but, i do it for fun, it is fun, hopefully when i'm older i can talk to young kids and they'll be like, "you mean you acually rode THOSE kinds of skateboards, way back in the 2000's!!" haha, this is a fun thread, keep it going!!!

knuckles

May 21, 2004, 4:30 AM
Post #9 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skating is always gonna have that balance between big and gnarly and purely technical.... there are those that do both but they are a rare breed... I just can't believe the damage some of these kids are doing to themselves trying to combine the 2

Between bouldering and skateboards I had permanently damaged both my ankles by the age of 16 and I'll always walk funny. I had a Dr. ask me once if I was a motocross racer or a roofer once because of my x-rays. Once I explained, his instructions to me were, "No more climbing without ropes and no more jumping off the roof on your skateboard."

screw that guy

boss

May 21, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #10 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use to skate every day...then broke an ankle kick flippin' over a rail. Started skatin' again...later that winter, broke ankle on my snowboard off a kicker. Never had either of em checked out until it started hurting again. Doc said it was broken but it managed to realign itself :D Anyway, it's been a while...I do have new wheels and bearings on my deck...maybe I should break it out again. Long boards sound sweet. Maybe that's the ticket?

Boss

Edit because I'm tired of studying and apparently I had new wheels and "bears" on my deck :?

alvchen

May 21, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #11 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I skate around school, but I'm not very good when it comes to tricks.

zozo

May 21, 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #12 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to skate all the time. It's funny cause I was just thinking about picking it up again after I was channel surfing and saw this show on MTV with Hawk and some others road tripping in some RV's. There is a skate park not to far from where I live with some mellow stuff I could start on.

It would be funny cause now I would be the old ridiculous looking guy I used to make fun of!! Ironic!

knuckles

May 21, 2004, 11:58 AM
Post #13 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

boss, I love the longboards but getting any pop out of them is tough even if they have a decent tail... Black Label makes some 'adult size' decks... almost all production decks these days come with 14 inch wheelbase, pretty tight... bump that number up to 15 or 15.5 (vert sizes) and that front foot comes down on wood instead of pavement, saving you the rolled ankles...

musicman, same deal... vert and pools just need more stable decks, so if you wanna do it then build a dedicated board... 15 inch wheelbases, go wider than your street setup and throw a pair of Indy's and big wheels on there... like 60mm and 95 or 92 durometer... the thing will feel like a tank when you first pick it up but you won't notice it once you get it moving... you aren't looking for 'pop' in pools, you're after momentum...

and pay your health insurance, it's cheaper that way

musicman

May 21, 2004, 8:52 PM
Post #14 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
and pay your health insurance, it's cheaper that way

its so true, yeah, longboarding is SO fun, on the weekend nights me and my friends generally go out looking for good hills, we found one and my friend did 47 mph down it! it was nuts, he crashed and i got it on film, he slid on his butt for like 50 feet, almost broke his hand too. anyways, yeah, thanks for the tips on pool boards, hopefully i can get over my winter-itis which i suffer from greatly in utah, i'm going out with my friend on wednesday to skate, he's friggin' good, got a couple of sponsorships, but anyways, it should be good!

Partner macherry

May 22, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #15 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been skating for over 25 yrs. started as a teenager.......even competed for a while. Got out of it when i had kids, etc., but i'm back at it, skating street and park with my daughter. I am definitely lusting after a longboard.

I still look in backyards for empty pools! :lol:

danooguy

May 22, 2004, 1:53 AM
Post #16 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
we found one and my friend did 47 mph down it!

That's nuts.

Love to try it one time.

flamer

May 22, 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #17 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm an Old School skate kid myself.

I still hit the parks a few times a year, generally on my long board.
I've got 2 long boards- one for carving and one for gettin techy.

The first time you throw a rock 'n roll in the pipe with a long board you think It's never coming back in!!

josh

far_east_climber

May 23, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #18 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I mostly ride longboards these days

Mmmm yes, few things better than the free-flowing, carving nature of a longboard.

Partner tattooed_climber

May 23, 2004, 5:59 AM
Post #19 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

The first time you throw a rock 'n roll in the pipe with a long board you think It's never coming back in!!

josh

don't get me wrong..oldschool skatin rocks....i use to have some longboards and bannana boards as a kid...BUT ALL THE SHAGGY HAIRED MINSY F*G skaters around the world can just be napalmed for all i care...i just want to destroy them...(why is it cool to have chick's hair, wear tight bright green corded pants, an ugly skate gear tee, and wear shoes 6 sizes too big, with the pants around their pinner legs and the boxers pulled up to their pinner chest..proudly bearing acne that puts flesh-eating Disease to shame and an elaborate system of braces.....! :shock: i can't believe this sh*t is mainstream)

!!i just want to beat their @ss everytime i see them earing a metal band shirt!

(***Ozzy rolling in his grave everytime NEOBOY wantabe "punk" "skater" boy wears a black sabbath shirt)....wait a sec....ozzy's still alive.....well, in body but not in mind...

what the hell is wrong with this!!!.....

:x :x :x i just realized something!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"M OLD!!!!!!!!!!!(@age 19)!!!like "parents..." :shock:

well...i can remember when i was a little lad, running around the world, my folks hated:
http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/...s/082903/nirvana.jpg
kurt

http://members.tripod.com/~rubies/mag/1aic694.jpg
Alice in chains

and of course
http://freethemes.forthnet.gr/...per/acdc-640x480.jpg
...my highway to hell...

yup...rough childhood....by at least my dad supported my ....
http://www.pcentral.biz/stairway/stairway.gif
many times, my dad walks pass my room and says, "phil, i remeber when this zeppelin song was released".......thats cool...

so maybe this is some sort of generation gap thingy....ie my folks hated my generates' sh*t, ..i hate the next generations musics and culture..etc etc etc...?

maybe....

i don't want to put thought into this post....i'm tired...

dc

May 23, 2004, 11:21 AM
Post #20 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Re: any skateboarders?? HELL YEAH!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:P yeah! its awesome to hear from some other longboarders!! :D 8^) far_east_climber and andyw and myself stayed up all night last monday (our last day of school) and we carved up the streets all night!! (and abseiled early morning from a highway overpass) it was sweet...

and 'apparently' matt (far_east_climber) has topped 60kmph!
...he was also sponsored and featured in several ads.. he probably wants me to it all hush hush though as hes not one to boast...

PS. old school skating is definately rad too... you cant help being inspired by rodney mullen..

knuckles

May 23, 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #21 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rodney's a freak... he lives close and I see him in restaurants from time to time, always alone, always scribbling in his little notebook... creeping out his waitress...

...but the stuff he can do with a board is phenomenal, transcendant....

even though he's old, you can't call him old school... tech skaters are just now being able to functionalize some of the things he came up with back in the Bone's Brigade days... and the stuff he's doing now is just bizarre... he's really on a whole different level

I can't think of another sport (or whatever it is) that offers such a degree of personal style and self expression and I'm glad to see it being as accepted as it is now. I've lived through some dark periods in skating when it was just totally dead (the early nineties come to mind) and I'm just genuinely happy to see all the public parks and stuff today... enjoy 'em while you can kids, I skated the old parks (Upland, Del Mar, etc.) and I remeber when they bulldozed them too.

I think I'll go do slappies on the curb in front of my house until I wake up the neighbors now.....

mike

May 23, 2004, 11:55 AM
Post #22 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 40 years ago (seriously) I read and saw some pics of guys skating on boards in California. You couldn't buy a skateboard around here so we took the wheels off of shoe skates and bolted them to a piece of planking. Turning was considered a trick. Losing the entire front or rear end was a frequent occurrence. All we could figure out to do with the things was downhill racing. My skatewear consisted of a pair of shoes orange, purple, and green stripes painted on with model airplane paint.

knuckles

May 23, 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #23 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My skatewear consisted of a pair of shoes orange, purple, and green stripes painted on with model airplane paint

...you really should wear pants. Roadrash is drag.

flamer

May 24, 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #24 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

josh

don't get me wrong..oldschool skatin rocks....i use to have some longboards and bannana boards as a kid...BUT ALL THE SHAGGY HAIRED MINSY F*G skaters around the world can just be napalmed for all i care...i just want to destroy them...(why is it cool to have chick's hair, wear tight bright green corded pants, an ugly skate gear tee, and wear shoes 6 sizes too big, with the pants around their pinner legs and the boxers pulled up to their pinner chest..proudly bearing acne that puts flesh-eating Disease to shame and an elaborate system of braces.....! :shock: i can't believe this sh*t is mainstream)

!!i just want to beat their @ss everytime i see them earing a metal band shirt!

Umm, kid?

Are you saying this is me??

Cause I was punk when you were born.
Skating too.
I'm not some neo-trendy-hippie-freak!
Not trying too turn this into a flame war but, seriously, why the attitude?

josh

Partner tattooed_climber

May 24, 2004, 7:08 AM
Post #25 of 40 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Umm, kid?

Are you saying this is me??

Cause I was punk when you were born.
Skating too.
I'm not some neo-trendy-hippie-freak!
Not trying too turn this into a flame war but, seriously, why the attitude?

josh

nothing personal or too serious (joking mostly)...i'm personally feed up with alot of the skaters in my area...i was basicly venting in that post....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook