RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jimmyv

May 24, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1000 views)
Shortcut

buying some new etriers...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, i have two metolius eight step ladders. i find that works, however, i would like to buy some more (ones that i can use for alpine rock/ice with sections of mixed) that are beefy enough for an aid wall, but not too bulky for alpine. i was also thinking abou splitting the metolius pair up and putting one long ladder with a short one: this would mean that the ladders would have to match up to get equal balance...any ideas???thanking you very much and have a nice day. james

lambone

May 24, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Re: buying some new etriers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not another "which aiders should I buy" post!?!?! :roll: :twisted:

JEEZUS CHRIST!

No offense James...you seem like a nice guy, but how many more "which aiders should I buy" threads do we need on this godamn site?

The Search Button, it sucks yeah, but it sorta works. Try it.

Anyway, sorry for my sarcastic rant, I use BD and they work fine, anything works...one short, one long works great, but they need to be the same kind, otherwise your feet are offset.

Aiders are fairly cheap pieces of equipment. Buy the Metolious pocket alpine aiders for alpine stuff, they will hurt your feet after a long time on a wall.

crotch

May 28, 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Re: buying some new etriers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
beefy enough for an aid wall, but not too bulky for alpine. i was also thinking abou splitting the metolius pair up and putting one long ladder with a short one: this would mean that the ladders would have to match up to get equal balance...any ideas???

Although conventional wisdom says to get matching pairs of aiders, I don't really think that's necessary (for easier aid). As long as the second steps are reasonably close together (a couple of inches), you'll be fine. I find that it's even nice to have slightly different steps as I can pick and choose which topstep to use based on how far I have to reach. And you won't preferentially fatigue one leg because it's fairly random which aider ends up on the left or right for each placement.

I use 1 standard metolius 5-step aider, and 1 metolius alpine aider on each daisy. That way if I'm going up on a pitch that's mostly free, I can just bring the alpine aiders, stuffed in their sacks and clipped out of the way. I haven't used this system on very akward aid (lets say in a funky corner or under a long, weird roof) but for steep general aid it works fine.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook