Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

capn_morgan

May 25, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #51 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Re: ELDO Free Solo Accident - Rescue at the Red Garden Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

to all you guys bitchin about people soloing.....if half the posters here on RC.com are half as dumb as they seem...there are probably more accidents waiting to happen here than there are people who solo on a regular basis. I think I would rather solo than climb with alot of the people on this site...would probably be safer.

sharpie

May 25, 2004, 3:10 AM
Post #52 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"Show the injured some respect"

some sympathy -- yes -- I've participated in rescues and would help rescue any injured climber, roped up or not.

some respect -- I respect the decision he made not to rope up and to endure any consequences

I think the rule is if they die you need to show respect and solace, but if they just get injured you can laugh at them and call them idiots... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm joking, of course, I don't want to see anybody get hurt. And I have a great deal of respect for any climber who has the head for free soloing.

But, I will say that this accident, and other incidnets like this, just reinforce the old climbing addage...There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old bold climbers.

Funny that I put that in bold, huh?

sharpie

May 25, 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #53 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"Show the injured some respect"

some sympathy -- yes -- I've participated in rescues and would help rescue any injured climber, roped up or not.

some respect -- I respect the decision he made not to rope up and to endure any consequences

I think the rule is if they die you need to show respect and solace, but if they just get injured you can laugh at them and call them idiots... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm joking, of course, I don't want to see anybody get hurt. And I have a great deal of respect for any climber who has the head for free soloing.

But, I will say that this accident, and other incidnets like this, just reinforce the old climbing addage...There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old bold climbers.

noshoesnoshirt

May 25, 2004, 12:44 PM
Post #54 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

what about bridwell? or bacher? or donini? or any of those crusty old bastads in Alpinist?

timstich

May 25, 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #55 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
timstitch - The biggest thing was they had one static for 2 people with no backup, which is totally unsat aswell as only one anchor.

It appears that your observations may have been in error from what I have just heard. You got the same PM as well I understand.

Partner climboard

May 25, 2004, 1:48 PM
Post #56 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As long as the money isn't coming out of my pocket in taxes - fine.

I know it's blunt, but whatever happen to taking personal responsibility for your own actions?

Give me your address and I'll send you the two pennies that'll come out of your tax bill to pay for saving this guy's life.

craggincragin

May 25, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #57 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Comparing free soloing to heroin is pathetic. Having grown up in the shadow of Mt. Washington, I have seen, and taken part of, uncountable incidents of rescue teams risking their lives for the sake of one. Ambulance crews don't risk their lives to save those who OD, do they?

They sure as F**k do!!!

As a fireman/Emt who has run on countless medical calls(and plenty of OD's) I can tell you everytime we step foot on that rig to go on an emergency run we are risking our lives.

The case of a herion OD is even riskier. Ever been in the residence of a herion user?? Ever "patted" one downand gotten stuck with a dirty needle?
They risk a slow and painful death from things like Hepatitis and HIV.
Or they might risk getting shot by the druggy in the next room....
These are all VERY real situation's that happen to ambulance crews every day....DON'T EVER TAKE WHAT THEY DO FOR GRANTED!

josh

I'd still have to say that rock climbing to save one's life is a bit more dangerous than patting down an incoherent OD. That's why they have rubber gloves...and it's heroin, by the way.

This isn't to say that any rescue team works harder than the other, and I'll never take anything relating to rescue for granted. I take my hat off to all those who "give their lives, so that others may live."

j_dub

May 25, 2004, 2:13 PM
Post #58 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm with Phil. The rescue guys I know love to get out and have an adventure. It's either that or not get paid, or give traffic tickets or something boring.

It doesn't cost enough to hurt your poor tax bill either. I'd complain about the hundreds of billions going down the drain in Iraq for nothing.

When do we stop offering a rescue? Cause it's a soloist? Cause it's a rockclimber. How about motorists? Should the Fire Department conduct a responsibility interview before they put your house out. I guarantee that most fires and car accidents are every bit as stupid as some guy falling climbing.

It's easy to be cold and say screw the soloist, until it's your bro out there, Then you care

Peace

karl

Well said. I just got my WFR certification. Why? So that if anything goes wrong out there, I can help. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I have my skills for a reason - to practice and USE them. People who do rescues ENJOY doing it. Sure, it could be dangerous (we did our big scenario in a severe thunderstorm with high density lightning strikes, and that was just training). But the FIRST rule of rescue is that the rescuers safety comes first. If the scene isn't safe or if we are at risk at becoming victims ourselves, we have no obligation to rescue you. It's a choice. The people who did this rescue evaluated the situation and decided to do the rescue. Saying that they 'had to risk their lives' for someone is incorrect.

Also, saying that people who do dumb things shouldn't get help or that people without insurance shouldn't get help is the most ridiculous thing I've seen anyone write on this forum. Everyone deserves LIFE, liberty, and happiness. This is, after all, America.

Accidents happen. To everyone. I put myself in a dangerous spot and I am incredibly grateful to the ER and hospital staff who saved my life. I plan to return the favor if I ever can, by helping someone else. Errors in judgment should not be death sentences. EVERYBODY deserves a chance.

And Sawdust, who are you that you get to decide who lives and dies?

crimpandgo

May 25, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #59 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amber_Chk, Well said. I think you summed it up best. being one that has been on the injury end of the arguement lately, you have the best chance to put this issue in the proper perspective. Regardless of how I feel about the way people climb and what risks they take, I would help out the best I could. And I would hope I could trust all other climbers/people would be there for me if I were in the same situation.

robmcc

May 25, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #60 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Regarding taxpayer dollars and rescues. . .

last I looked, all the climbers I knew (self included) pay a F*&k load in taxes each year, since none of us are millionaires.

I hate to introduce some reality into the soak-the-rich mentality, but if you pay a F*&k load in taxes, they pay a metric F*&kload. Low income==low taxes. I have some relatives who fall into that category, and they pay more in a year in taxes than I net in 2 years.

Back to topic, personal responsibility is great. This stuff doesn't have to come out of taxpayer dollars, it _could_ be insured. Go from a very small percent chance of a big loss to a certain tiny loss of $X per year. Paying for it with tax dollars just makes it mandatory and charges people based on their income or wealth.

Rob

sharpie

May 25, 2004, 3:34 PM
Post #61 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
There are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old bold climbers.

what about bridwell? or bacher? or donini? or any of those crusty old bastads in Alpinist?

You're right, some guys just defy all of the rules...But on the other hand you have Lowe, Stump, Kukuczka, Boukreev, Kropp, Hall, Bridges, Fischer...on...and on...and most who have died being bold are relatively unknown because their faces didn't ever grace the pages of climbing mags and/or other commercial endeavors.

Obviously this is way off the original topic, but a good discussion nonetheless; I think we all (or most of us anyway) understand the risk involved in our various pursuits in the vertical world, and for most of us that is also a primary motivating factor for doing what we do – facing and dealing with the inherent danger that is.

I think the thing that sparks such interest in a topic like this is that the climber’s ethic is first and foremost one of self-reliance, and when a climber has to be rescued it goes against what we like to believe ourselves to be. Self-rescue and wilderness survival should be basic knowledge for all climbers (not just Alpinists). But, how many of the people you see at the crags do you believe could rig a self-rescue if they or their partner(s) was injured?

Obviously the rules of self-rescue change when you decide to free solo, but even though it may or may not be an available option, you should never depend on a rescue (regardless of who's footing the bill for the rescue expenses).

I’m rambling, and I really don’t know what my point is…but have enjoyed reading everyone’s opinion, even Sawdust’s.

Partner tgreene

May 25, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #62 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is free-solo...

nut_tool

May 25, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #63 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bouldering is free-solo...

Wading in the kiddie pool is like swimming the English Channel. :roll:

No. Bouldering is bouldering. Free soloing is climbing.

sharpie

May 25, 2004, 5:54 PM
Post #64 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Update [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.dailycamera.com/...2422_2911880,00.html

The Daily Camera

CU student climber fell 60 ft., remains in serious condition
Accident brings risk of solo-climbing into question for some

By Chris Barge, Camera Staff Writer
May 25, 2004

A 22-year-old University of Colorado photography student who fell while solo-climbing high above Eldorado Canyon Sunday remained in serious condition Monday at St. Anthony's Central hospital.

Brandon Robert Fritts, from Columbus, Ohio, was free-climbing without ropes, harness or helmet on a very difficult pitch when he fell about 60 feet before landing on a ledge, some 1,200 feet above the canyon floor.

Cynthia Monnet, a fourth-grade teacher from Boulder who was climbing with her husband nearby, chatted with Fritts briefly as he climbed in the same area prior to the accident.

As soon as they heard Fritts fall, the couple rappelled down to him, where they discovered he was badly injured and couldn't move his legs. Monnet said Fritts was conscious and remained so while volunteers from Rocky Mountain Rescue negotiated his safe passage down from Red Garden Wall.

"He really is a wonderful young man," Monnet said. "I don't criticize him for taking the sport to another level than others take it to. He felt pretty confident that he could do that."

The phone rang constantly at Mic Fairchild's house Monday morning as news spread in the climbing community that Fritts had fallen from the crux of the solo route that Fairchild pioneered.

In 1998, after climbing in Eldorado Canyon for about 30 years, Fairchild completed the first solo ascent of the crag from which Fritts fell. The next year, he received permission to place three safety bolts on the route, which he named Smoke and Mirrors.

Many inside and outside the climbing community have questioned the validity of solo-climbing — a sport that some of its participants, including Fairchild, vigorously defend.

"In the annals of climbing literature, the ultimate expression of the sport is stepping up solo and having the strength and control to pull it off," Fairchild said.

It's up to each climber to determine whether they have the strength, wits and ability to free solo, he said. Those qualities require skill and experience. But he said they are achievable.

Others, however, question whether that's not a selfish approach. In a message posted to the www.climbingboulder.com list-serve Monday, climber David Schmid raised several of the questions that seem to get asked whenever something like Sunday's accident occurs:

"If you solo-climb, what is your responsibility to the general public? Should rescuers put themselves at risk to rescue you? If so why? If not, are you willing to evacuate yourself or possibly die in the pursuit of your chosen activity?"

Contact Camera Staff Writer Chris Barge at (303) 473-1389 or bargec@dailycamera.com.

Copyright 2004, The Daily Camera. All Rights Reserved.

dirtineye

May 25, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #65 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a member of the American Alpine Club, you get rescue insurance up to so many meters high, and can buy more.

It does not pay for medical care after the rescue I think, but at least if you want to be responsible for the cost of the rescue you should join the alpine club.

jcinco

May 25, 2004, 6:20 PM
Post #66 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The interesting thing here is that when I was at Eldo, there were a number of climbers freesoloing. One appeared to be an instituion there (Flamer can tell you his name), if *that* guy had fallen, you all would be a lot more sympathetic.

Yes, he did everything wrong in terms of "climbing" that is, minus a rope . . . but was he an idiot? Nah. Think about how many soloers there are out there and how many accidents you hear reported. I'd wait to judge.

Out of all the climbing areas I've visited, Eldo is the area that most lends itself to free soloing: short approaches, easy to link up multiple routes, and pretty secure climbing at the moderate grades. Nearly every day I climb in Eldo, there is someone free-soloing something. Usually it's stuff 5.8 or easier. There are several moderate (5.8 and lower) routes that finish in the vicinity of Smoke and Mirrors, which are quite popular among soloists. Body Tremors, which is pretty much a 5.8 solo when you have a rope anyway, ends almost where Smoke and Mirrors, a bolted 10a face climb, starts.

My guess is that the climber had soloed several 5.8 climbs to get there... lower Ruper to Body Tremors, perhaps? Feeling pretty dialed-in at this point, Smoke and Mirrors looks pretty inviting to finish off the solo journey. I've been there. One friend of mine has been in the same place, gone for Smoke and Mirrors, pulled it off, and then really regretted putting his neck on the line and feeling slightly out of control, later. This is pure speculation, but I suspect this climber was seduced by the feeling of control after the long moderate solo, and proceeded to get in over his head.

Like it or not, soloing is a part of climbing. At some point, all climbers who climb traditionally will eventually be in situations which are, for all intents and purposes, "soloing". For most this will probably involve unroped, exposed, scrambling; but for a few it will involve fifth-class routes. However, soloing at, or anywhere near, your limit should be left to experienced climbers who have been around the block; those who can recognize the illusory feeling of control and stop themselves from being seduced into getting in over their heads.

hugepedro

May 26, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #67 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who advocates charging climbers for rescues is ignorant of the issues doing so would present to all parties - victim, rescuers, and resource managers alike. Climbers, especially, ought to know better.

Here is one of my favorite pieces on the subject, written a couple years ago by then Superintendent of Mt. Rainier National Park, Jon Jarvis. Read, and learn from someone who knows what he's talking about.

In reply to:
Managing Risk on Mount Rainier
Guest Editorial by Jon Jarvis
Superintendent, Mount Rainier National Park

The most recent tragedies on Mount Rainier and Mount Hood remind us that climbing season is here and with it comes risk. Also come the questions of “how could this have been prevented, who let those people climb to their deaths, and why should the tax payer foot the bill for the rescue? As the Superintendent of Mount Rainier National Park, I respond to these questions each time we activate our highly trained teams to either rescue or recover those who get into trouble on this great mountain. These good questions deserve thoughtful answers.

First, let me speak to prevention. We expend a great deal of effort in educating the prospective climber about the inherent risks of mountaineering. We talk with them during their permit registration, we gain some understanding of their experience, their plans and their chosen route. We inform them of specific risks of the route, of current snow and weather conditions, of proper equipment, and the skills they need. If we sense they may be attempting a route well beyond their skill, we will recommend a different route. If they are a true novice, then we steer them to one of our concessioner guided trips or training days with groups such as the Mountaineers. But ultimately, it is their decision, and we will not deny them the right to climb, for the mountain is public land and we believe our responsibility is to educate them about the risk but not deny access.

The second part of the question often posed is something like “if the mountain is so risky, why don’t you just close it, particularly during big storms?” As a 14,410 foot glaciated peak, Mount Rainier is always dangerous regardless of the weather. Mount Rainier even creates its own weather. If we did “close it” (which would be practically impossible) for some set of safety considerations, under what circumstances would we reopen it, since it is always dangerous? By the act of “reopening” the mountain that has been closed, we would be implying to the public that it is now “safe” to climb.

The last question, and perhaps the most frequently asked is “why the taxpayer should foot the bill for rescuing those people who, by choice, subject themselves to a known risk?” The first part of the answer is to examine for whom we, as public land managers, spend most of the taxpayers’ money searching. Statistically, on a national scale, and even here at Mount Rainier, we spend more money searching for the lost hiker in the forest, or the child who walks away from a drive-in campground, than we do for the mountaineer. The most expensive search in Mount Rainier’s recent history was for Joe Wood, Jr., the writer who disappeared in the lower forests of the park in 1999 (and was not found). The risk mountaineers face is often one they have calculated, trained for, experienced in the past, and have brought along a lot of equipment to specifically help them survive. A visitor who heads off into the forest without even a jacket, food, water or any of the other ten essentials is actually taking on a higher risk than the risk faced by the mountaineer. Poorly equipped to survive a dramatic change in weather, subject to hypothermia, this hiker is also facing a risk by choice. We cannot single out any one group, such as the climbers, and say that they should pay for their rescue and not apply the standard to everyone who is lost.

The second part of the answer, is that as the responsible officials for initiating the rescue and also for making the very tough decision to stop a search before a person has been found, we do not want “ability to pay” to be a factor in those decisions. Nor do we want “ability to pay” to be a factor in the visitor’s decision to ask for our teams to rescue them. Imagine the scenario of a visitor in the forest, out of food, cold, wet and lost, with a cell phone, worried that they may be facing a bill for tens of thousands of dollars, reluctant to call for help, waiting perhaps until it is too late. Imagine too the climbers in trouble, worried about the bill for a rescue, waiting until their physical condition and the weather get horrendous to call for help, forcing our teams to respond in the worst possible situation. We use many factors to both launch and to suspend a search, and they are all about risk, probability of survival, probability of success, our teams’ capabilities and fatigue, and the capabilities of our cooperators like the military helicopters. But not cost. To put cost into the formula would require that our teams search harder and longer for those that have the money than those who do not. Mount Rainier is a great equalizer, the risks are shared by everyone, regardless of their financial status.

Mount Rainier National Park is a gift to us all, set aside for our preservation and enjoyment over 100 years ago, still wild today, offering a range of risks for each of us to experience. It is your responsibility to learn about those risks, whether they come from a day hike to Comet Falls or an independent summit bid, and it is our responsibility to help you learn how to experience the park with an appreciation of those risks. But also, should you get in trouble, whether by your own fault or the tricks of nature, one of the finest rescue teams in North America will be gearing up and we won’t be asking for your credit card number.

Partner climboard

May 26, 2004, 1:01 PM
Post #68 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent post Hugepedro- do you have a link to the original article?

ironhawk

May 26, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #69 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockymountainrescue.org/html/faq.html

Q: "Will I be charged for a search and rescue in Colorado?"

A: In most cases, no, you will not be charged for the actual search and rescue effort. The volunteer mountain rescue teams in Colorado, including RMRG, do not and most likely will never charge for services. There have been some cases where a county sheriffs have charged for SAR operation. The Boulder County Sheriff has not and does not plan to charge victims of search and rescues. See the next question. Patients are usually responsible for emergency medical transportation (ambulance or helicopter) fees.

You will get charged for the ride in colorado and may get charged for the rescue.

swede

May 26, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #70 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jcinco However, soloing at, or anywhere near, your limit should be left to experienced climbers who have been around the block; those who can recognize the illusory feeling of control and stop themselves from being seduced into getting in over their heads.
This will bring "some" flame on me - isnīt it quite evident that soloing (almost always) per definition means that you CANīT resist the illusory feeling of control and CANīT stop yourself from being seduced into getting into something where some "unexpected" will tip the balance into something that is over your head?

I would still help out in a situation like this - but I would also ask a question: still pretty confident you can do it?

mworking

May 26, 2004, 3:31 PM
Post #71 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, soloing at, or anywhere near, your limit should be left to experienced climbers who have been around the block; those who can recognize the illusory feeling of control and stop themselves from being seduced into getting in over their heads.

Same old story again and again and again. Who decides what our limit is or whether you have been around the block. I have that illusory feeling of control every time I step on the gas pedal - but something unexpected and out of my control can change things quickly. I have never gottten that "heart in my throat" feeling from climbing - ever.

jajohnst

May 26, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #72 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hugepedro,

Thanks for a great post. It is easy to over simplify these issues or have a knee jerk reaction. I appreicated having the chance to hear a well thought out clear explanation of the issue from the perspective of those on the front lines.

flamer

May 26, 2004, 4:46 PM
Post #73 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
However, soloing at, or anywhere near, your limit should be left to experienced climbers who have been around the block; those who can recognize the illusory feeling of control and stop themselves from being seduced into getting in over their heads.

This will bring "some" flame on me - isnīt it quite evident that soloing (almost always) per definition means that you CANīT resist the illusory feeling of control and CANīT stop yourself from being seduced into getting into something where some "unexpected" will tip the balance into something that is over your head?

Kind'a sounds like climbing in general doesn't it?

That "illusory" feeling of control is easier to take for granted when you're wearing a rope.
I solo, and I've never been more focused and mentally on top of my game then when I'm ropeless.
Ever consider Chaos theory? That feeling of control is nothing more than that...a feeling....

josh

flamer

May 26, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #74 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Same old story again and again and again. Who decides what our limit is or whether you have been around the block. I have that illusory feeling of control every time I step on the gas pedal - but something unexpected and out of my control can change things quickly. I have never gottten that "heart in my throat" feeling from climbing - ever.

So?
What's your point?
We decide where our limits are, indiviually. That's the beauty of SOLOing anything- from a bike ride to a climb. YOU make your choice's and YOU deal with the consaquence's!

News flash...we are all going to die!!
Should you do everything "safe" and still die? Or should you do the things you enjoy, regardless of the safety concerns, and still die?

josh

hugepedro

May 26, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #75 of 120 (14714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Excellent post Hugepedro- do you have a link to the original article?

No link. I'd actually been searching for it online for some time. I think the article appeared in the Tacoma Tribune or the Seattle PI or Times, but I couldn't find it in their online archives. It ran about 2 years ago after the Pavehawk rescue chopper crashed on Mt. Hood.

I finally emailed the office of the Superintendent of Mt. Rainier NP and they emailed the article to me.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook