RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

far_east_climber

May 28, 2004, 3:05 AM
Post #1 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Tight rope - difficult?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've heard many times that slacklining is harder than tight rope walking - although I believe the statement... I have come to think it must still be pretty damn hard because with a slackline you can control it to suit your body movement and stance whereas a tight rope is mostly static and there's no room for control on the line - so it's 100% body control and no line control. I don't know what my point is but has anyone here tried tight rope walking or have any comments/comparisons between the two?

areyoumydude

May 28, 2004, 4:08 AM
Post #2 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tight rope - difficult? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you tight rope you carry a long pole. This pole puts the center of gravity down by your feet. Lowering the center of gravity makes tight rope walking easer.

far_east_climber

May 28, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #3 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's say it was done without a pole?

areyoumydude

May 28, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #4 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you ever walked railroad tracks. Walking something that is static will be easier than something dynamic. Tightropes are guyed down so that they don't move. Now walking a loose cable is a different story. That is much harder than a slackline. Check out Black Diamonds website. I has a vidio clip of Dean Potter walking a high cable. Sweet.

jeremy11

May 28, 2004, 3:55 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

walking handrails is good balance practice too, and there is nothing to set up! small diameter round rails are the hardest. if I've just been slacklining and get on a rail it feels weird becuse it doesn't move (they can vibratate a little). also, length doesn't change difficulty the same way as with slacklines. I think round rails are almost as hard as a shorter slackline, but they are different enough its a hard call. I've also walked cable on a low ropes course that was a little loose(tight, but it still moved a bit). it is a different feel than webbing, but the same skills apply.
Jeremy

dredsovrn

May 28, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The difference is that on a tight rope you don't have to control the rope and your body. The rope (usually a wire) will have very little or no flex or movement. A slackline takes much better balance and control. Kind of like climbing 5.5 or 5.10. Both climbing, but not really the same.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook