RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mrock14

May 31, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #1 of 2 (937 views)
Shortcut

sewn runners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey
i'm a noob and I was wondering if sewn runners were necessary for trad leading i have plenty of tied webbing runners but i've always been curious about sewn runners. Also if you have any other tips for a noob just starting out like me i'd love the advice.

petsfed

May 31, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #2 of 2 (937 views)
Shortcut

Re: sewn runners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sewn runners are great once you can afford them. However, for just starting out, the versatility from a tied runner (eg instantly adjustable, can tie several together to make longer) far outweighs the benefits of a sewn one. Once you get past the learning/toproping/following phase, you should consider sewn slings for the vast majority of your slings. They're lighter, stronger, less bulky, and lower maintence. The knot takes up quite a bit of sling material, so if you've got 20 sewn slings, they'll be noticably lighter than 20 tied slings of the same length. Moreover, a bartack is low profile and does not weaken the webbing as much as a knot does. Lastly, while you should be checking your gear thoroughly on a regular basis, when a sewn sling goes bad (too much wear, cut, etc) you just throw it away. With a tied sling, you have to check to make sure the knots have sufficient tails so the sling doesn't come undone as the tails creep when the knot tightens under load. Checking doesn't take much time, but fixing can.

9/16" webbing is standard fair, make sure you get the nylon stuff for making your own. Spectra tape is ultra strong but too slippery for water knots. Minor, but no need to complicate your life now with too many knots, when its easier to remember double/triple fisherman's for cord, water knot for webbing.

Do NOT stitch your own slings. Easier/cheaper to buy sewn slings, and you're virtually garunteed they'll hold. Hand stitching slings sucks. I've tried, and that thing rarely leaves my closet, and never leaves the car.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook