RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

athikerol

May 31, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #1 of 3 (3330 views)
Shortcut

EPL tendon rupture
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently recovering from an EPL rupture (extensor pollicis longus - in the thumb) on my left hand. I had an EIP to EPL tendon transfer done, where they take a *spare* tendon from your index finger & attach it to the EPL on your thumb. Has anyone else had anything like this done? Should I tape when I start climbing again? Of course I'll be asking the Doc, but he's not a climber, as a matter of fact he's not crazy about ME being a climber, but he says I shouldn't have any problems as long as I rehab properly, i.e. don't rush it. Prognosis is good as new after some PT & strength training. Just got into climbing and pretty bummed about being out for 6-8 weeks, but looking forward to the after-healing fun. I posted this in a different thread before, but thought this one may be better. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else has had thumb and/or hand tendon problems and how they made out.
Thanks!
Kevin

sgdevil

Apr 6, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [athikerol] EPL tendon rupture [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to need the exact same procedure on my left hand as well. I'm a little hesistant about getting the surgery because my doc also seems to know nothing about rock climbing. So yeah, I was hoping you (or anyone else) could tell me how the procedure and recovery turned out.

Thanks,
Michael

tigerlilly

Apr 11, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgdevil] EPL tendon rupture [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sgdevil wrote:
I'm going to need the exact same procedure on my left hand as well. I'm a little hesistant about getting the surgery because my doc also seems to know nothing about rock climbing. So yeah, I was hoping you (or anyone else) could tell me how the procedure and recovery turned out.

Thanks,
Michael

In case the OP doesn't see your post, I'll share my experience.

I shattered my distal radius in a road biking crash in 2002, and the EPL tendon later severed by being dragged over a sharp bone fragment. During surgery to rebreak the wrist (it healed crooked, very long story), the doc found the ratty end of the EPL tendon and performed the EIP-EPL transfer. It is apparently the standard protocol for an EPL rupture. In my experience, it sounded much worse than it actually was. The bottom line is that I have 100% function of the thumb, index finger and also the wrist (I had an excellent hand surgeon). In PT, they will re-train your brain to associate the EIP muscle/tendon with thumb movement instead of index finger movement. I was able to do this in my first day of PT, though this is not always the case. The remaining tendon/muscle to your index finger will take over all former duties of the transfered EIP. It's amazing just how flexible your brain is! Both the EIP and EPL are used to extend the digit, and therefore don't impact grip strength. You won't be able to flex your thumb right away, as the seam between the two tendons needs time to heal, but you'll get there. Just do what your PT says and don't rush things.

FWIW, my hand surgeon was anything but an athlete himself, and rolled his eyes at my biking vacation descriptions, but he was sensitive to the fact that I was active and needed excellent hand and wrist function to enjoy life in my style. I took up rock climbing only recently, and the whole wrist, tendons and etc. has not bothered me in the least, though admittedly, I am not climbing at a very high level. I do lots of bike riding and race BMX, and I pretty much forget about the whole broken wrist episode.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Let me know how you are doing. Typing with one hand isn't much fun!

Kathy

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook