RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

trailbound71

Jun 2, 2004, 2:44 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Ice screws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone got a chance to use the petzl laser sonic yet ? Let me know what you think as I am looking to buy a set of screws and I dont want to buy the wrong ones.

arun

Jun 3, 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice screws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally got my ordered Laser Sonic screws the other day, after waiting since November last YEAR!!!
and I don't like them. Basically the swiveling(sp?) hanger was a neat idea, as I thought you'ed be able to twist them out, while still having them clipped into the QDs and the rope! However, the amount of flex between the hanger and the screw, makes it stick a lot eg doesn't turn nicely, so I have decided to leave them and stick with proven worth of the BD Turbo Express screws. Perhaps its just me handling of them but...thats my $0.2 cents worth

iceclimber

Jun 3, 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ice screws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Picked up a 17 cm in January and I wasn't overly impressed. The swiveling hangar was a little on the small side for my miitts and the angle of the hangar made it that much tougher to hang on. If the hangar was slightly more of a 90 degree angle this might improve the situation. I found that placing and cleaning them using an attached quickdraw wasn't particularly smooth or quick either.

One very nice feature of the Sonic's is that they actually start better than my BD Turbo Expresses thanks to the deeper, more aggressive teeth, however the BD's are easier to drive and clean, which is much more important to me on lead.

The Sonic will remain on my rack, but only as a belay screw and based on my experience my recommendation would be the Turbo Expresses.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook