Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Couple of questions on Eldo...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

munckee

Jun 3, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Couple of questions on Eldo...  (North_America: United_States: Colorado: Boulder_Area: Eldorado_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking at stopping at Eldorado Canyon over 4th of July weekend.

What's the best guidebook for the area?

What's the camping situation like?

Will the area be massively crowded over that weekend?

crankenstein

Jun 3, 2004, 7:10 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Re: Couple of questions on Eldo... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All the guidebooks are about the same. Boulder Climbs South is the most comprehensive probably, but there are others. Also check out ClimbingBoulder.com and search for Eldo 3 star climbs for the best.
The camping sucks, or more accurately is non-existent near the canyon.
It will be crowded, but an early start and/or doing climbs farther from the car will help.

bolder

Jun 3, 2004, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best Guidebook: Richard Rossiter's Climbing Eldorado Canyon

Camping: Check out this link http://www.neptunemountaineering.com/activities/camping.html

Nothing in Boulder, but a few nice spots about 45 minutes west. Rollins pass and Apex road are two of my favorites.

Crowds: Maybe. It can be really hot in Eldo in July, but it is Eldo so people are always climbing there.

Have Fun!!!

munckee

Jun 3, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm. Didn't realize it would be so hot. Perhaps Lumpy Ridge would be a better destination?

I'll be on my way to Wyoming, but I want to stop in Colorado over that weekend so I'm not on the road in the middle of "vacation traffic". Basically I'm looking for about a 3-4 day stopover in Colorado. Any recommendations?

holmeslovesguinness

Jun 3, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also check out: http://www.climbingboulder.com/rock/db/eldorado_canyon/ - lots of good route beta there.

There is a good chance it will be crowded, particularly down near Wind Tower and the Bastille. We went Memorial Day and were able to walk right up to one of the more popular routes on WT and start climbing, so you never know. If you are willing to hike a bit the Rincon Wall or Cadillac Crags are good places to escape the crowds.

If the parking lot is full just park along the road about 200 yards or so from the park entrance (just make sure you're not in someone's driveway, etc). Have fun!

crankenstein

Jun 3, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lumpy Ridge will definitely be crowded on the 4th, but there are many climbs at both Eldo and Lumpy, so crowds shouldn't be the deciding factor. It should be cooler at Lumpy. Looking at your profile, I see you have climbed at E-Rock. The granite at Lumpy will probably feel more secure and there are more moderate climbs to do there. You might consider climbing in Boulder Canyon and camping south of Nederland also.

holmeslovesguinness

Jun 3, 2004, 7:40 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, crankenstein makes some good points. Don't let the potential crowds deter you from spending a day at Eldo, it's an incredible place to climb, if you are flexible you can definitely find something to climb. Getting there early in the morning would be a big help.

Lumpy would be a great place to go and explore also. There are definitely some nice easy moderates there (although Eldo has it's fair share as well). The scenery can't be beat, it's gorgeous.

One thing you might consider is just hitting Eldo early the first day, then motoring up towards the park and finding a place to camp, then spend a day or two at Lumpy. You could also hit Combat Rock, it's about 10 miles from Estes on Hwy 34, some fun moderate granite one and two pitch routes there, perfect place for a day trip.

esoteric1

Jun 6, 2004, 3:26 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hot schmot, take a dip if it gets bad...

munckee

Jun 6, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to skip eldo this year in favor of slightly cooler weather (and maybe fewer people) @ Lumpy followed by a run up Longs Peak before heading north into wyoming.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook