RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

mush

Jun 6, 2004, 4:21 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Lawrence, KS
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hey all,

I'm moving from Windsor, Ontario, Canada to Lawrence, Kansas in late July/early August for school. Aside from the climbing gym on campus, do any of you climb outdoors in the nearby and surrounding area or know of places to go or who to contact about that?

Thanks,

Eric

phillygoat

Jun 6, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Lawrence, KS [In reply to]
Report this Post

God, I am SO sorry! phillip PS: Colorado?

scoppa

Jun 6, 2004, 5:11 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There isn't much in KS I'm afraid, it is very flat. But, on the good side, Arkansas is not that far of a drive, and there is some great climbing there. Right around the Fayetteville area there is bouldering, sport, and some trad too. Much of the climbing is not even discovered, or is known by only a few people. There is lots to explore. You can probably go to the Arkansas travel site, something like www.arkansas.com and find some stuff posted there, or try and get a hold of some Arkansas people on here. I go to school elsewhere, or I'd be down to climb with ya.

rockbel

Jun 6, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

there is some stuff around, mainly in KC...go ahead and check the database, it'll be quicker then writing it out again. Yeah, KS is kinda lame for climbing BUT KU is an amazing school. Lawrence is one of the best college towns in the nation! Have fun and see as many basketball games as possible.

Rock Chalk (oddly enough that does not referance climbing at all)
Jayhawk!

edge

Jun 6, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

edge moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post

edge moved this thread from General to US - MidWest.

pneumoped

Jun 7, 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #6 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I once drove from Colorado to Lawrence in about 6 hours. When you get desparte that will seem "close to Lawrence KS."

nailzz

Jun 7, 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #7 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

There's an old grain silo right off a that there highway two sixty four. Just go on past old man Crunky's place and turn left when you see the old tire swing hangin' from the oak tree.

redtail

Jun 8, 2004, 1:51 PM
Post #8 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey, I live just west of Lawrence in Topeka. All I can say is that I hope ya got a reliable car because you're going to have to do a bit of driving. There are a couple of places over in KC that offer a small selection of short routes. As I recall the rock is short and the top is real dirty. Head south a few hours to Arkansas for some nice rock, (or) head SW about 6 hours to the Wichita Mountains in south Oklahoma (my personal favorite) (or) head north about 6 hours to SE corner of Minnesota to either Blue Mounds and/or Palisades State Parks (or) head west about 9 hours to Denver. So you see you're in the center of a mini "climbers black hole"!There are some short (up to about 50 feet) sandstone cliffs I know about that are about 3 hours west of Lawrence. They aren't well known for some reason but do offer some possibilities. Some at Kanopolis Lake (Horsethief Canyon) and some at Lake Wilson along the south shoreline and nearby bluffs. Both are not far off I-70. Even though there isn't much in the way of local climbing possibilities, you'll like living in Lawrence. Cool town!

jer

Jun 8, 2004, 3:01 PM
Post #9 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I'm surprised noone has listed any climbing in Missouri, next door.
I'm not entirely aware of what the scene is like in Lawrence, but in KC (30 minutes +/-) it is thriving. The KC climbing club is active and growing, and plans many outings, and also has monthly meetings where it is easy to hook up with partners. From Lawrence, it is 30 minutes or so to scuzzy, slick limestone at cliff drive in downtown KC. It's ugly, but it's climbing and hey- you're getting a workout. Another 15 minutes east on 70 is the best KC has to offer- Ibex Rock Gym. Trace your finger south or East an hour and a half from KC and you have numerous day trip options, which are primarily limestone sport climbing hanging over lakes and rivers. Most options are in the 5.10/11 range; but there are choices as easy as 5.4 and hard as 5.13. Another 3 1/2 hours south and you are in the SUPREME sandstone climbing arena that is northern Arkansas. I recently traveled from the front range of Colorado if that tells of it's worthiness.
I also hear the buildering on KU campus is "world class", and about 2 hours (?) west is Rock City, a midwest oddity of sandstone boulders scattered across a field which makes for a fun day trip.

jer

gradstudentclimber

Jun 8, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

mush, don't despair. Your climbing options are many with some not-so-bad driving -- and one option is just down the street.

1. Blue Mounds in Minnesota offers a super-easy approach to many dozens of routes on slippery quartz, which makes for an interesting challenge as smearing is tough. But it's a great place to practice setting up top ropes, as there are walk-ups or scramble-ups to the top everywhere. For easily burned redheads like me, Blue Mounds also offers some routes shaded by tall trees.

2. Halfway to Blue Mounds is Lincoln, Nebraska, where a strong climbing community offers many partners you could meet there on your way to Blue Mounds. Take a half-hour or one-hour rest in Lincoln, and your six-hour drive won't seem nearly as bad.

3. On Lawrence's excellent Massachusetts Street, one of America's best pedestrian malls, there's an outdoor store with a small bouldering wall. It has a challenging overhang and really thick crash pads, and you can use it to try out the shoes they have for sale.

4. Everything others have said about the proximity of good (and bad) climbing is true. Rock City's apparently quite fun, nearly all of my friends have gone. It's a day trip for once or twice a year, they say.

I can offer many more details about Lawrence, Lincoln and Blue Mounds if you want, just message me.

--gradstudentclimber

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook