Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mowgli_z

Jun 7, 2004, 8:53 AM
Post #1 of 50 (9309 views)
Shortcut

Red, Pink, Yellow, & Brown point
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Red point: leading and clipping draws on to the bolts.
Pink point: leading and clipping pre-hanging draws.

My new scale = for people who top rope only.

Yellow Point: top rope, cleaning draws with no resting, or taking on the rope.
Brown Point: top rope, "route variation style", NO draws hanging to clean just anchor draws, with no resting, or taking on the rope.

This scale could apply to Trad Climbing too.

It’s the difference between pissing or crapping yourself.

Do you think there is room in the “Point Scale” for us ‘Top Roping People’ to get a “Point” too~???

Mowgli Zettabaud

overlord

Jun 7, 2004, 9:10 AM
Post #2 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Re: Red, Pink, Yellow, & Brown point [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

T0.

anyway, pink point is mostly nonexistent in sport climbing, mainly because some hard routes have fixed gear, not to mention that WC is an onsight comp and they have preplaced draws.

mowgli_z

Jun 7, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #3 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for confirming that “Pink Point” does still exist. Only exception to the “pink point” is when there is fixed gear, which is a forced “pink point” and competitions. Everything else is PINK if the draws are pre-hanging for the lead. (outdoor climbing)

My original question: “Is there room in the ‘point scale’ for Yellow & Brown point”?

mingleefu

Jun 7, 2004, 6:13 PM
Post #4 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My original question: “Is there room in the ‘point scale’ for Yellow & Brown point”?

Yes, but not for toprope. Giving a "point scale" to toprope offers too much legitimacy to the style which in turn will encourage boulderers to take it up since they would then have slang with which to spray about it.

A "yellow point" is a climb that scares you out of your mind and makes you lose bladder control. a "brown point" is similar, except worse because your shorts get filled with a more solid form of bodily waste.

You can make up different colors if you want. Like purple and teal, or something. Consider the pastel color chart. Pastel colors would fit better into the toproping scene because they are more sissy.

markc

Jun 7, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #5 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you think there is room in the “Point Scale” for us ‘Top Roping People’ to get a “Point” too~???

No, no I don't. I think it's silly, but thanks for asking. If someone starts bragging about brownpointing a climb on TR and he doesn't have a load in his pants, I'm tying him off, escaping the belay, and going for a sandwich.

mowgli_z

Jun 7, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #6 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All forms of climbing is good fun. I've been climbing since 1992 = 12 years.

I'm no sissy because I personally bolder V4 & lead climb = sport 5.12a, Trad 5.9, Ice WI4, and spend a lot of time “top roping” variations. I think if someone can call a pink point a red point (5.15a) then I should get more credit for cleaning your Pink draws without resting or taking on the rope. Because I did more work then you except with less risk of falling.

If the only threat of Yellow & Brown Point is the Boldering community will add more style to Sport Climbing. Then I say bring on the Styling Sport Climbers.

Mowgli Zettabaud

Partner j_ung

Jun 7, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #7 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's a little outdated. :wink: Although, I guess you could make a case for it in a trad context.

markc

Jun 7, 2004, 8:58 PM
Post #8 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
All forms of climbing is good fun. I personally bolder & lead climb = sport, Trad, ice, and spend a lot of time “top roping” variations. I think if someone can call a pink point a red point (5.15a) then I should get more credit for cleaning your Pink draws without resting or taking on the rope. Because I did more work then you except with less risk of falling.

More work except with less chance of falling? That's not the same work, that's completely different. That's like doing a solo time trial and comparing it to racing. "I did the same work, just with less chance of crashing into people." That's like standing in an empty lion-tamer's cage, cracking the whip and poking the chair at nothing, and claiming you're just as bad as the guy who gets in there with the cat. Haul my f'n rack up there and lead it yourself if you want more credit. Sheesh.

jv

Jun 7, 2004, 9:28 PM
Post #9 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No, no I don't. I think it's silly, but thanks for asking. If someone starts bragging about brownpointing a climb on TR and he doesn't have a load in his pants, I'm tying him off, escaping the belay, and going for a sandwich.

What he^ said! Tell me you led it clean, or TR'd with no falls. Otherwise, please, spare me the details. I don't give a shit.

JV

afiveonbelay

Jun 7, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #10 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe we should use brownpoint for a trad lead that you complete with no falls, but it scares the @^$^%%)@& out of you. You know the kind when your're in the middle of it and have a religous conversion and/or a promise to finally set up that account on e-bay and sell all this junk and take up golf

ullr

Jun 7, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe we should use brownpoint for a trad lead that you complete with no falls, but it scares the @^$^%%)@& out of you. You know the kind when your're in the middle of it and have a religous conversion and/or a promise to finally set up that account on e-bay and sell all this junk and take up golf

The above quote is describing climbing in Sedona. Always bring a change of underwear for every pitch lead.

mowgli_z

Jun 8, 2004, 5:34 AM
Post #12 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I “on-sited” this 5.11c on ‘Brown Point’. It was an up-hill battle and when I got down, I had dotted my short with some solid waist. So it had to count for something because there was poo in my shoes.

I got a 5.11c On-Site, Brown Point. Plus it’s a variation and no one could lead it because it’s not bolted yet, but I know I did not rest on the rope. I did it clean on Top Rope.

Climbing Rules

halcyon

Jun 8, 2004, 6:23 AM
Post #13 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always thought a greenpoint was a send on top rope, green meaning safe because topropers are sissy (I can say that becuase I have led).

mattiem

Jun 8, 2004, 12:58 PM
Post #14 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

click - click

i can hear the flame throwers now

mcmartin27

Jun 8, 2004, 3:20 PM
Post #15 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Halcyon I’m so happy you have led... makes me feel all warm inside... As to everyone else... WTF! Top-roping is a necessary step in climbing that will never go away. So suck it up and give the man some f’n credit. I personally like to lead, but someone has to clean it. And if it’s a nice .11c lead to which makes me brown point my pants than I ain’t bloody cleaning it when someone would just as happily go up after me. So Yellow and Brown Point on TR Guys...

mowgli_z

Jun 9, 2004, 6:52 AM
Post #16 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that top roping is a part of climbing that is not going away. So I like to give credit were credit is due. There is not a point scale to better describe what type of top rope was done. For leading there is a point scale to better describe how you led it. It only seems reasonable to have a more descriptive point scale for top roping.

Leading Point Scale:
Red Point: Lead climbing, placing draws or gear.
Pink Point: Lead climbing, pre-hanging draws or gear.

Top Rope Point Scale:
Yellow Point: top rope, cleaning draws or gear.
Brown Point: top rope, NO draws or gear to clean

This new Point Scale does not take any glory away from the art of climbing. It just better describes the art of climbing by separating Lead points from top rope points. Adding a new dimension to the sport and conversations at the watering hole.

Mowgli Zettabaud

hishopper

Jun 9, 2004, 7:07 AM
Post #17 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And by a concensus the TR point extention is approved... I can see the headlines now, Top Ropers earn Brownie Points!

Sport Climbing is neither

jonf

Jun 9, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #18 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mowgli,

why is it important to be getting credit.

Having those definitions is just pointless, its a waste of time.

gumbobob

Jun 9, 2004, 9:02 PM
Post #19 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay, this is silly...
toproping is never a viable ascent--its jsut getting ready to lead--sussing out the moves, whatever...
toproping an "alternative" route is just for fun adn the workout--it is not a "send" or x-point--just a toprope...and if the alternative heads into the regular route--its just being too scared to run it out till then...that's fine, it's just not a real ascent

bigo

Jun 10, 2004, 2:56 AM
Post #20 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget the Green Point - walk up to the climb say "I could do that - easy" and then move on. And there it is, another Green Point added to the list.

gumbobob

Jun 10, 2004, 4:42 AM
Post #21 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love the greenpoint idea--
yeah, i could do that!
man i have sent so many 13d's now!!!

kalcario

Jun 10, 2004, 5:46 AM
Post #22 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about we describe a successful ascent of a boulder problem as a "Whitepoint", you know, like when you raise the white flag of surrender? Since boulderers have *given up* on being climbers, for one reason or another... *cough (chickenschitt posers) cough*... seems appropo to me...

ikefromla

Jun 10, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #23 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If nobody else is gonna say it, I will.. You are an idiot.

In reply to:
That's a little outdated. :wink: Although, I guess you could make a case for it in a trad context.

Correct. The idea of a redpoing versus a pinkpoint is only relevant in trad climbing these days. If you wanna argue otherwise, build a fizzucking time machine.

mcmartin27

Jun 10, 2004, 4:45 PM
Post #24 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, WTF??? Are you people really going to be that self righteous about who leads what and who gets TR credit? WTF! The man simply asked a question as to whether or not this is a plausible scenario. Not once did I see him ask whether or not he was intelligent, (ikefromla), or who can lead climb what, or even whether or not who has the best form of sarcasm. Its quiet simple to say, “Hey I think we should leave it the way it is,” or, “maybe there should be some clarification as to what kind of a TR you did.” Quite frankly I don’t give a shit, but if someone else does, starts a new lingo and it catches on... great then. So all you bad ass climbers that think bouldering sucks, F*** you, the same applies to what you think about this TR discussion. Do you know what serious Trad climbers think about sport climbers? If you do than you’re all dumb as SH**... Why? Because your continuing the segregation attempts within a climbing community that needs to stay united. All forms of climbing are sweet, and all have there purpose, and if you can’t see that then... Well I don’t think I need to go there. Okay maybe I should... F*** OFF!

vertical_reality

Jun 10, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #25 of 50 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Top Rope Point Scale:
Seconding: top rope, cleaning draws or gear.
Toproping: top rope, NO draws or gear to clean

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook