Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Slacklining:
Who is the best slackliner in the world today?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

areyoumydude

Jun 9, 2004, 8:37 PM
Post #26 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Re: Who is the best slackliner in the world today? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Coylec, you sounds like you love to hear your self talk. maybe you should put your mouse down and get outside and enjoy life instead of b---- about something you don't even do. there's nothing like friendly competion it makes us work harder to be better.

What's up Tom, I couldn't agree more. I would not be as good of a slacker if it wasn't for my slack partner CHill. We even compete in a game we call slack. Like the basketball game horse.

climbingpride

Jun 9, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #27 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After scanning this thread quickly i'm shocked to see that no one has put down Noah Kaufman! Check out his site really quick and watch some of the videos he has. He does some pretty insane stuff. Ever since i saw him at PBC a year back I have not disputed his ability to slackline over the heads of all.
http://www.geocities.com/...st/2021/slacker.html

Partner coylec

Jun 9, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #28 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Coylec, you sounds like you love to hear your self talk. maybe you should put your mouse down and get outside and enjoy life instead of b---- about something you don't even do. there's nothing like friendly competion it makes us work harder to be better.

There is a difference between friendly competition and a ranking of supremacy. I'm indoors because its raining in portland and my fingers are shredded bits of meat because of the bigwall fun I'd been having. Nothing in my posts has anything to do with either competition or "friendly competition".

coylec

gogo

Jul 13, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #29 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, I'll give props to Jim, too. Crazy hippie.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 13, 2004, 5:16 AM
Post #30 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vote would be Noah... And I think that would be "catching" Noah, if anyone knows that story. He's got pics on this site, but I can't remember his username.

crazycarl54

Jul 13, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #31 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In re: to Coylec -- It is a ranking system that ALLOWS us to engage in any type of competition - friendly or otherwise. And it is that competition that consistently drives me to be better at climbing/slacklining.
Without any set of standards or measuring scale for difficulty, there is no way for me to accurately judge my progression. More importantly, for me, it is comparison of my skills to those of others that gives me the motivation to truely push myself into new levels of skill. Without some sort of ranking system (even if only subconsciously) the "comparison" would be possible, but the motivation would not.
I am well aware that many people dont require competition or comparison to push themselves, however, I choose to use it as a tool to spur myself to greater feats. Competition is a force that can be intelligently harnessed for additional motivation and innovation.
That said -- competition also has the potential to become a devisive influence in any sport, particularly when it is forced upon those who are not competitive by nature.

Partner coldclimb

Jul 13, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #32 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am the best slackliner in the world today.

Have any of you slacked with me? Can you deny it?

End of discussion. :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

healyje

Aug 24, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #33 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The primary difference is that the tighter the line gets, the more upper body balance is used as opposed to lower body balance.

I would probably have to beg to differ on this statement. I've been primarily walking cranked down 11mm climbing rope and tight wires for 25 years or so and I would say the opposite is true.

The tighter the line the less you want any slop or movement at all up high. Your body does more and more fast twitch tuning as you go down the body so that on a tight line or wire you're calves are getting a fairly merciless workout compared to webbing.

healyje

Aug 24, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #34 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best I've seen is Adam Grosowsky. He pioneered many of the big walks in the 80's and he can still get a slackline swinging way side-to-side in a handstand.

He also used to get way above the horizontal side-to-side and originally set up the Monkey Face walk at Smith to get enough ground clearance to try to push a full loop.

micronut

Aug 24, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #35 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For O.G. ers, Crazy Patrick from Telluride was mad surfing way back in like '85. He also busted the 30' unicycle while juggling in his jester outfit, did a hundred 360's down the Alley (sick bumb run) on skis, ruled the trampoline, and made his own false teeth when he knocked 'em out.

Now a days in the age of specialazation, you gotta break it down, are we talking sport slack liners, high liners, Solo (leashless) liners, or what?

musicman

Aug 24, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #36 of 36 (5248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't want to be dissing anyone's accomplishments, but since this is a climber's sight, does it really matter who is most probably going to get a call from Wringling Brothers in the next few weeks?

yeah, i dont' want to be "dissing your accomplishmentes," or anything, although this is a climbing site, i'm not sure that your'e aware that it is in a SLACKLINEING forum!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook