RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

janiszewski11

Jun 16, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #1 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

melting rubber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I'm curious if anyone knows how you would go about melting C4 climbing rubber. Any info. such as the rubbers melting point, or a technique on how to melt it without burning it would be great. Thanks.
-chris

renhoek

Jun 16, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #2 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Re: melting rubber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

out of plain curiosity alone, why?

tech_dog

Jun 16, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #3 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This gave me a great idea for "spray-on climbing shoes".

I'm off to the patent office right now.

runningclimber

Jun 16, 2004, 6:16 PM
Post #4 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm curious if anyone knows how you would go about melting C4 climbing rubber.

See thread: The Sexy Bivy

:twisted:

janiszewski11

Jun 17, 2004, 4:00 AM
Post #5 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

renhoek,
Two reasons:
1. Want to be able to neatly fill in small holes in the rand.
2. Thinking that since climbing steep rock is sometimes easier (for me) barefoot, I could somehow get rubber on each individual toe so that I could still still grip with them. Specifically I was thinking rubber on toe socks which would be secured to the foot... I don't know how but simply wearing the socks probably would be too loose of a fit.

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 17, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #6 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like you sense of imagination, but what you're thinking about seems a bit far-fetched. I've caused VERY sticky racing tires on sportbikes to melt on the edges from friction on corners, but it honestly tends to be less smooth than the rest of the tire when it cools and actually hinders performance when they're not already super-hot again. Rubber is not like candle wax. You're more likely to burn your rubber than melt it in the real world. It's feasable that manufacturers of shoes might try something like what you're talking about. Mad Rock already makes finger condoms made of climbing rubber, but it would take a lot of money to try to reproduce yourself.

saskclimber

Jun 17, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to fill in small holes, exposing the rubber to flame will just burn it (because of the carbon black added). The easy way to go is to buy a tube of poylurethane construction adhesive from a hardware store, use a bit of that to fill in the hole, and smooth it flush to the existing rubber with a credit card or somthing. Although it's not as sticky as climbing rubber, it would do far better (and alot more convenient/cheaper) than melting rubber onto your shoes. Also, if you're wanting to melt it onto you toes...umm...isn't melted rubber hot?...

tech_dog

Jun 17, 2004, 5:20 AM
Post #8 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thinking that since climbing steep rock is sometimes easier (for me) barefoot, I could somehow get rubber on each individual toe

Two words: Genetic Engineering

musicman

Jun 17, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #9 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
umm...isn't melted rubber hot?...

just what i was thinking... :shock:

korporal

Jun 17, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck with that toe-shoe-sock-thingy-magigy. As for fixing small holes in the rand shoe goo should do the trick. This stuff is druable and flexible. Stickyness shouldn't matter because the rand is not going to be touching the rock. Unless you wear you shoes out until there is no sticky rubber on them the sole of the shoe should be touching the rock. If the holes are so big that you can't fix them with shoe goo it is time for some new shoes.

saskclimber

Jun 17, 2004, 6:06 AM
Post #11 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're getting holes at all, that means it's probably time for a resole job. All that will happen if you keep patching it and patching it is your shoes will turn into garbage, and your climbing will suffer. Pay a bit of bux, get resoled, save money (and frustration) in the long run.

szen

Jun 17, 2004, 9:57 AM
Post #12 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, if you ever get rubber on your toes, would u help me by going one step further and turning that rubber into suction pumps
that would be really helpful

janiszewski11

Jun 18, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #13 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To those of you who were feeling very smart at the time I thank you for your oh so very intelligent insight ... that melted rubber would be hot. On a more serious note I was planning on applying the rubber to a mold and not directly to my foot. Thanks for your concern though.
-Chris

Partner okie_redneck

Jun 18, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #14 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry that some people are being a little obnoxious. That's just the way people can be here. Like I said, rubber is not like candle wax. You're not gonna buy a relole kit, melt it, and mold it. It simply wont happen. I don't make plastic holds by melting plastic into a mold. I mix resin and hardener. Rubber is a similar thing. To make something out of rubber, you must manufacture it from scratch. Good luck if you can get 5-10 to tell you how to manufacture stealth rubber (or any similar type from another company).

vulcan

May 4, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #15 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

elotomeric rubber, which is what climbing soles are made of, will not melt 100%. It will burn before it reaches a liquied point. However, it can be heated and formed. But it will not flow. Your best bet if you are still interested in this, is to use a heat gun and press it into a mold. This is called hot forgeing.

thegreytradster

May 4, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #16 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Read up a little about Charles Goodrich and a little process known as vulcanization.

You can only melt rubber once.

For pre resole repairs of gaps etc. use Seamgrip/Aquaseal (same thing different package).

Don't use it for contact with the rock it's slicker than owl shite.

kubi

May 4, 2005, 1:30 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
elotomeric rubber, which is what climbing soles are made of, will not melt 100%. It will burn before it reaches a liquied point. However, it can be heated and formed. But it will not flow. Your best bet if you are still interested in this, is to use a heat gun and press it into a mold. This is called hot forgeing.

With a nickname like that, he's got to know what he's talking about.

dynosore

May 4, 2005, 1:54 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okie wrote:

In reply to:
I don't make plastic holds by melting plastic into a mold. I mix resin and hardener. Rubber is a similar thing. To make something out of rubber, you must manufacture it from scratch. Good luck if you can get 5-10 to tell you how to manufacture stealth rubber (or any similar type from another company).

Rubber is NOT a similar thing, as far as processability. Ever here of injection molding? That's exactly how most plastic objects are made, melt the plastic and ram it into a mold. Most rubbers can't be remolded or formed because it is cross linked, vulcanized, whatever you want to call it. Basically, the polymer chains are tied together by "bridges". It's permanent, save thermal or UV degradation. Most plastics are not crosslinked, and can be melted and reformed over and over. FWIW

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook