Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

peroxide

Jun 1, 2004, 2:29 PM
Post #151 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do climbers "slackline" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Q: Why do climbers "slackline"?

A: Primarily, because what was practiced by a small subcommunity of climbers has evolved into a full fledged activity.

Other examples:
1) Drinking Olde English on big walls (why oh why)
2) The silly biner on the rear view mirror thing
3) Wearing leather pants in C4 like Mr. Huber (ok...not yet)

But it is simply fun and great when your tips are shredded or the crags are wet. A line goes up pretty much anywhere.

AS FAR AS BENEFITS....WELL....
The only clear benefit I have had in my climbing is the ability to achieve mental focus more quickly.

When you get on a slackline, from moment 1, you have to have your game face on. No breaks. This requires immediate focus. A beginning slackliner will see this right away. They cannot get up on the line because they are flooded with "ambient noise".

I found that in the months after learning to slackline I was able to more quickly calm down in the heat of a crux. My brain would go to a very similar place to what I feel when I am in the "zone" while slacklining.

Outside of this there are more efficient techniques for improving your climbing ability. But then again the intent of the post was just to ask why.... I will say that all the step ups onto the line when you are starting out gives you one serious a** workout...its like doing a 100 one legged squats...ouch.

Peace
Peroxide

vertical_reality

Jun 2, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #152 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining is as relevant to climbing as ballet is.

Get over it.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 2, 2004, 8:51 PM
Post #153 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure ballet would help your climbing a lot too. Seriously. Those dancers are in really good shape, and forming good technique is nothing new to them... :wink:

jt512

Jun 2, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #154 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm pretty sure ballet would help your climbing a lot too. Seriously. Those dancers are in really good shape, and forming good technique is nothing new to them... :wink:

I've discussed this with several ballerina-climbers, one of whom I dated. In some ways ballet helps climbing, in some ways it hurts, and I'm not sure whether on balance ballet is good or bad for climbing. Ballerinas have phenomenal flexibility, which is good. However, all their strength is in their legs and feet. My ex couldn't do a single pull-up. Furthermore, they develop foot strength in a way that does not help -- and in fact probably hinders -- their climbing. Two dancers have told me that they have trouble using their toes in climbing because their feet are stronger while edging back toward the ball of the foot, but edging that far back on the foot is not as effective in climbing as pulling with the toes.

-Jay

Partner coldclimb

Jun 2, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #155 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I've discussed this with several ballerina-climbers, one of whom I dated. In some ways ballet helps climbing, in some ways it hurts, and I'm not sure whether on balance ballet is good or bad for climbing. Ballerinas have phenomenal flexibility, which is good. However, all their strength is in their legs and feet. My ex couldn't do a single pull-up. Furthermore, they develop foot strength in a way that does not help -- and in fact probably hinders -- their climbing. Two dancers have told me that they have trouble using their toes in climbing because their feet are stronger while edging back toward the ball of the foot, but edging that far back on the foot is not as effective in climbing as pulling with the toes.

-Jay

Now that's pretty interesting. Thanks for the post Jay. I should go take my dancer friends climbing and see how they do. Heck, if nothing else, I get to climb with a bunch of girls. :wink:

stickclipper

Jun 6, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #156 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In my not-so-brief experience, I have never fallen off a climb because I lost my balance.

-Jay

Wow. JT512 must have never barn doored off an arete.

Or come off a weird high step move.

Or climbed a hard slab.

rck_iceclimber9

Jun 17, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #157 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slacklining has helped me at least becoming a better climber. I mean i wasn't able to keep my balance on a 5.11 slab.... and you don't know slab until you have been to Squamish BC. Also Chris Sharma & Dean Potter... well they have done slacking lining quite a lot and look at how "good" they are.

jt512

Jun 17, 2004, 8:26 PM
Post #158 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Slacklining has helped me at least becoming a better climber. I mean i wasn't able to keep my balance on a 5.11 slab.... and you don't know slab until you have been to Squamish BC. Also Chris Sharma & Dean Potter... well they have done slacking lining quite a lot and look at how "good" they are.

Sharma smokes a lot of pot. That's why he's a good climber.

-Jay

Partner rocdaug

Jun 17, 2004, 8:35 PM
Post #159 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbers climb.
slackliners slackline.
hackysackers hackysack.

an individual can participate in many activities. I personaly like to rockclimb. which is why I was drawn to rockclimbing.com

I'd never heard of slacklining before I started visiting this site. The first time I saw a slacklining picture on this sight it was confusing to me. I asked myself what a picture of a tightrope walker had to do with climbing.

just an observation.
rd

rmiller

Jun 17, 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #160 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Are you trying to imply that slacklining has caused Sharma or Potter to be good climbers?

Is this really an arguement that this person is making?

Give me a break!

bler

Jun 17, 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #161 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blah blah blah.. this could be debated forever..

but fact is.. ALOT of things can help your climbing by helping your balance, even riding a motorcycle... even driving a car.. helps with hand eye coordination...

so if your arguing the fact that slacklining is MORE helpfull then other things that will help you mentally and physically for climbing, then you are right, because it is more helpful with foot coordination then say speed walking..

and if you are arguing the fact that slacklining is LESS helpfull then other things that will help you mentally and physically for climbing, you are also right, because there ARE things that help you more specifically for climbing then slacklining..

your words you choose and the way you debate this topic leaves it open for the pickings, and no one can make a definate statement, it is all based on personal experience and what works for one, may not for the other..

corpse

Jun 17, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #162 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been slacklining as physical therapy - it seems to be helping with strengthening my core muscles, which is good since I have a messed up lower back, and those extra muscle will/should help support my back - thus less pain.

jt512

Jun 18, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #163 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
blah blah blah.. this could be debated forever..

but fact is.. ALOT of things can help your climbing by helping your balance, even riding a motorcycle... even driving a car.. helps with hand eye coordination...

Clueless.

-Jay

bler

Jun 19, 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #164 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha if you think I was saying riding a motorcycle is good training for climbing your insane..

clueless as to what ???

clueless to the fact that everything you have done in life is an experience, and learning from them makes you more skilled in achieving whatever goal you are striving for..

or wait, am I being a little too broad for you ? because that could be applied to anything from climbing to getting a job...

ever heard of cross training ? just because it's not directley involved with the sport does not mean that some of the same skills are used.. even if they are very remotley involved...

darth_gaydar

Jun 19, 2004, 1:01 AM
Post #165 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slackjawing

jt512

Jun 19, 2004, 1:51 AM
Post #166 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ever heard of cross training ? just because it's not directley involved with the sport does not mean that some of the same skills are used.. even if they are very remotley involved...

Apparently, you have heard of cross-training, but know nothing about its limitations.

Now I have to go drive to the laundromat. I could wait another week, but I don't want to miss out on the training.

-Jay

bler

Jun 19, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #167 of 167 (12687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh well, i'll let your ignorance block the understanding of someone elses view...

don't we all love thick skulls....

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook