RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

psalmadventurer

Apr 30, 2002, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

that sticky old tape...whats with it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Uh hey people,
I have heard complaints about people in gyms who don't follow the routes (in my translation this would be tape)...um why in the world would I want to follow a route? I have not once followed the tape, whats the point of climbing when there is tape that i am supposed to follow??? i could understand this for training purposes, is that all it is for? Maybe I am missing the point...lol
Jennifer (yeah yeah new at the whole climbing thing Psalm 145

paintinhaler

Apr 30, 2002, 5:31 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

that sticky old tape...whats with it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF

jt512

Apr 30, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, you're sort of missing the point. The idea isn't just to get to the top of the wall. The idea is to get to the top of the wall using just the marked holds. The marked holds form a "route" that (in most gyms) is given a rating based on the difficulty of the moves. It's contrived, but it's fun. The routesetter sets up a challenge, you see if you can meet the challenge by figuring out the sequence of moves needed to climb the route.

Following set routes also is good training, as you've suggested. It's harder than going up using any holds, so it helps train both strength and technique.

If you're new to climbing, have someone at your gym point out where the easiest routes are and start working on them, using just the marked holds. You'll soon find that this is much more interesting than just going straight up, and you'll improve much faster.

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-04-30 09:33 ]

stewbing

Apr 30, 2002, 5:11 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree you are kinda missing the point. Taped routes are specific holds that should be used to get to the top, it can sometimes be frustrating knowing that the hold just to the left is there but not "in". Challenge yourself by just using the taped holds and you'll feel great afterwards.

my thoughts

findaway

Apr 30, 2002, 5:48 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gym routes are created to mimic climbing outside. Outside you only have a certain holds available and herein lies the challange. Many people climb specifically for the purpose of overcoming challanges, using every hold possible becomes, after a while, not much of a challange. With gym routes you can assess how your climbing has improved and at what level you are climbing. So I would have to agree that they do serve a purpose. Still, if sombody wants to just climb around and they are not interfering with anybody else's climbing then they should not be criticized. If it's what they want to do so be it. Even if you don't understand how they derive pleasure from aimlessly climbing the walls, the point is they do and regardless of what they're doing they deserve respect.

psalmadventurer

Apr 30, 2002, 10:07 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay i get it, but i try not to use the holds anyways just the "natural (artificial)" rock itself. blah i still dont like routes, lemme plan it myself plz. lol.

kaptk

May 1, 2002, 6:59 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to echo findaway. When you are outside on real rock you will not be able to plan your own way. Even when you are climbing a crack there is still usually a limited number of ledges on the sides that you can use for foot placements. Having to follow a route adds more of a challenge to the climb, which is one of the main reasons for most people to climb. It is fine for people to use whatever holds they want at a gym, but they will probably get bored after awhile and want to start climbing the routes for more of a challenge. It will also begin to prepare them for climbing routes on real rock. Although there are some big differences.

PS- The most important thing, after safety, is that you are having fun.

PSS- I read Psalm 145. I liked it.

[ This Message was edited by: kaptk on 2002-05-01 00:02 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook