First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

galf

Jun 21, 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #1 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Poll:To the Mods: Punish DJMEAT
Report this Post
Can't Post

In this thread we should vote on his future.

As a user, I'm pissed he's joking about beheaded people. I've read he had been warned, and he did it again. Good job for TOS enforcement!!

I vote for a ban (permanent or not)

styndall

Jun 21, 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #2 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Re: Poll:To the Mods: Punish DJMEAT [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As a user, I'm pissed he's joking about beheaded people. I've read he had been warned, and he did it again. Good job for TOS enforcement!!

Jimminy Christmas...

It was one crappy joke, and it's waaaaaay less offensive than some of the counterattacks that've happened. I was privileged enough to see ipsofacto's response, before penny pulled it, and it was far beyond anything that djmeat's ever posted.

Also, calm down. It's the internet. Take a tour of usenet sometime; then you'll see some great flames.

meataxe

Jun 21, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #3 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jimminy Christmas...

It was one crappy joke, and it's waaaaaay less offensive than some of the counterattacks that've happened. I was privileged enough to see ipsofacto's response, before penny pulled it, and it was far beyond anything that djmeat's ever posted.

Also, calm down. It's the internet. Take a tour of usenet sometime; then you'll see some great flames.

I remember in rec.ski.alpine (or whatever it is called) some years ago there was a guy who had a court order keeping him off the Internet due to some of his posts (specifically death threats). Now that is flaming. :twisted:

maculated

Jun 22, 2004, 12:00 AM
Post #4 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mods and admins are aware of this and your concerns.

madriver

Jun 22, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #5 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The mods and admins are aware of this and your concerns.

..shudder...

...sorry...that was just my initial reaction...

love

mr 8^)

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 22, 2004, 12:27 AM
Post #6 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input. We're definitely trying to balance some semblance of order without using the proverbial iron fist. My question to community, do you think the topic (anything related to the war) is sensitive enough that it can be more heavily moderated than the rest of the threads in community?

Personally speaking, I usually only moderate threads in community if they involve malicious threats/attacks. Otherwise, I voice my opinion and let the thread go. However, if, as a community, it's preferable that we more strictly moderate trolls, dark humor, etc about any aspect of this war, then we can certainly do that.

I dont think that it would be prudent to moderate civil debate about the pros/cons about the war, but when people are being immature or crass about an obviously sensitive subject, then they should expect that their posts will be deleted and they will receive one warning. If they do it again, then they will receive a tarpit. If they choose to continue, they'll be banned until the war is over. Or, does this sound too harsh?

Our ultimate goal is to provide a forum that is fun - while we dont want to stifle conversations between users, we also dont want to allow/condone posts that are pissing off the majority of our community.

Let us know your thoughts.

amber

meataxe

Jun 22, 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #7 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let us know your thoughts.

Speaking metaphorically, every "nice town" needs a seedy biker bar just outside of city-limits to give the riff raff a place to blow off some steam.

thegreytradster

Jun 22, 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #8 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one is free unless they are free to make a fool of themselves.

Every on line community needs at least one malignant narcisist just as every college campus should have at least one rabid communist prof. Just shows where the line of sanity and civility really is.

DJ! I support your efforts to make a fool of yourself.

The incessant prattle does get tiring though.

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 22, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #9 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree, which is why i rarely moderate here. i guess to expound upon the analogy, i'm curious to get the thoughts of regulars about what seedy behaviour is acceptable in our bar - and which seedy behaviour warrants an ass-kickin through the front door.

also, dont get me wrong, i'm more than happy to let the patrons beat up the a-holes - i just dont want the patrons to feel like they're always responsible for beating up the a-holes, especially when we have the tools to gag them with duct tape and a golf ball.

pinktricam

Jun 22, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #10 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gawd, amber, I love it when you flex like that :wink:

Anyway, let's not make him into a martyr...he'd love that. I sense him gloating already.

meataxe

Jun 22, 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #11 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I should change the metaphor to "pus-oozing boil"... :D

dirtineye

Jun 22, 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #12 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please don't protect us from ourselves.

To anyone offended by Djmeat, me, or anyone else, LEARN TO KILLFILE DA BUM!!!!

Did you get that, you overly-PC-everyone-must-think-in-lock-mind-with-me-because-I-can-tolerate-no-thoguht-sufficiently-divergent-from-my-own-and-so-must-eradicate-anything-and-everything-that-is-not-as-I-think-it-should-be small minded weak pathetic losers?

Big Brother should most often not been seen and not be heard.

climbersoze

Jun 22, 2004, 1:06 AM
Post #13 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
However, if, as a community, it's preferable that we more strictly moderate trolls, dark humor, etc about any aspect of this war, then we can certainly do that.

Despite the fact that DJ Meat is a democrat... gag... and he has a tendancy to go WAY over the top of the bounds of good taste... so what. i personally think his less than tasteful posts about the war, about the presidents, about terrorists, about religion, about politics, and about life in general make the community worth visiting.

I have personally told him how much of a jacka$$ he can be, but I know he is not *as* guilty of malicious open forum personal attacks as other people here on RC.com. So what if he has a twisted sense of humor, and so what if he is controversial... at least if you pay attention to some of his posts, you can see he has a statement to make and there is a degree of rational thought (albeit a f*d up rationale sometimes :twisted: ), and it is not the standard issue flame that is seen so much here.

That said... grow up and stop worrying about him being banned. If you have an issue with someone, be an adult and tell them to their face. Don't be a p*ssy and run to the mods, or try to rally the troops before really doing your own dirty work. That's how I found out he is not really an a**hole.... I confronted him and said "dude, wtf?!?!"

OK, Todd... I hope you are happy. You liberal, treehumping, kerry loving, wanna be finnish pimp... I got your back, bro. 8^)

caughtinside

Jun 22, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #14 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it an option to just ban everyone who doesn't climb? :P

thrasher

Jun 22, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #15 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it an option to just ban everyone who doesn't climb?

Then there would be about three registered users instead of 20K+.

mike

Jun 22, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #16 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shaking the dust from a rug will keep it's colors bright. Today's heresy is tomorrow's gospel. If community has no room for the gadfly, then the name should be changed to the Mutual Masturbation Forum. I personally have little inclination to justify my opinions or to convince anyone of anything, but I do enjoy reading the posts of those with whom I strongly disagree, it keeps you thinking.

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 22, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #17 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool, so the consensus seems to be that people are comfortable with the way in which community is moderated - or isnt moderated, to be more precise.

pinktricam

Jun 22, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #18 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
cool, so the consensus seems to be that people are comfortable with the way in which community is moderated - or isnt moderated, to be more precise.

Not so fast there, young lady! I'd personally like to be able to verbally abuse him from time to time. Obviously, this hasn't been possible for me since he began whining to the mods, but as long as I can do it in Spanish and get away with it, I'm okay with that :D

jumpingrock

Jun 22, 2004, 2:30 AM
Post #19 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Me, you and who else??? :roll:

Partner philbox

Jun 22, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #20 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Me, you and who else??? :roll:

Me.

Okay, quota is full. It`s now official everyone else is not a climber, I repeat, not a climber. :wink:

Partner calamity_chk

Jun 22, 2004, 2:42 AM
Post #21 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Not so fast there, young lady! I'd personally like to be able to verbally abuse him from time to time. Obviously, this hasn't been possible for me since he began whining to the mods, but as long as I can do it in Spanish and get away with it, I'm okay with that :D

Right, so to continue with the bar analogy. You guys would rather take on the role of beating up people with whom you disagree rather than having a bouncer step in and show them to the door.

PS - I dont really climb, which means that my infamous fall never really happened .. whew.

jumpingrock

Jun 22, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #22 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
PS - I dont really climb, which means that my infamous fall never really happened .. whew.

He estimated and said about. Therefore, we can probably fit ya in the climbing quota as well... I dunno if I would want this site to be limited to me phil and thrasher. And we like you so we wouldn't want you gone :)

David

timstich

Jun 22, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #23 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Exactly.

petsfed

Jun 22, 2004, 5:13 AM
Post #24 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

See, I understood where DJ was coming from, and halfway (his words) defended him. So if you punish him, take me down too. And everybody else that has offended you. I mean, shoot, the killfile button is all the way over there by his username. Its a lot of work to move a mouse the 3 inches it takes to move the cursor across the screen. Its easy to call the cops when your car stereo gets stolen. Its hard to lock the doors so it wouldn't happen (a good friend's stereo was stolen the other night after his window was pried open, so flame on).

Partner tradman

Jun 22, 2004, 8:48 AM
Post #25 of 190 (4416 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's hugely ironic that after all the griping about DJ's quoting of the TOS, somebody started an entire thread to whine to the mods about him.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook