RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

overkill

Jun 22, 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Gri-gri lead soloing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've read a couple of posts and articles about people who lead soloed with a gri-gri and i searched the forums and articles on this site and couldn't find anything. My question: How do you lead solo with a gri-gri? Someone said that you tie one end of your rope to the bottom of the climb and feed the rope through your grigri but i can't imagine that wuold work. Wouldn't it always lock of especially when you pull slack through to clip? Is it even possible to grigri lead solo? If this has been covered can someone give me the topic link?

jumpingrock

Jun 22, 2004, 1:17 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gri-gri lead soloing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Learn how to use a gri gri. That's all I can say.

Partner chugach001

Jun 22, 2004, 2:00 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The real understanding is in knowing how to lead solo by traditional means and then substitute the Gri-gri for your regular self belay (clove-hitch, figure 8, Silent Partner, etc.).

Lead soloing cannot be understood starting at the grigri and working backward.

Please make sure your sh*t is wired tight before soloing on lead.
Good luck,
Jeff

roadman33

Jun 22, 2004, 2:47 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Their are a few ways to make a gri gri work really well for lead soloing(not that safe ways) but I'm not going to tell you how to do that.

I think it's great to learn to lead solo with the clove hitch before you try using the gri gri. Start out by aid soloing a pitch with the clove. THen try the gri gri, and then try the one you like better on an easy climb. Get the book Advanced Rock climbing. It's great, and shows you some of the things you'll need to get started.

But really why solo? Find a partner, or hell go to crags in your area with out a partner, you're sure to hook up with some great folks. It's worked for me all over the world. Remember most of life is just about showing up! If you're sick of climbing with a partner and are looking to expand your climbing to being able to go it alone. Then I comend you for learning about rope soloing, and not just trying things with out the cord all together.

Hope that I've helped a little.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook