Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pixelguru

Jun 24, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Magnets?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really don't know how I feel about this...

http://www.spiderclimbing.com/

gds

Jun 24, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Re: Magnets?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I really don't know how I feel about this...
I know how I feel about it!

gds

Jun 24, 2004, 8:08 PM
Post #3 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wasn't there some sort of game a few years back in which you donned a velcro suit and threw yourself at a velcro board?
Don't remember the point (probably was related to alcohol consumption).
This brings that to mind.
More proof that ideas- are not all good.

pixelguru

Jun 24, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #4 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...but what I still can't quite wrap my brain around is how a couple of strapped on magnets can possibly hold an adult to a wall. The physics just don't make sense.

I would think that magnets that strong would begin to pull the iron out of your blood... or at least make you wet your pants and forget your name for a few days. God forbid you have a pacemaker!

Climbing head first DOWN a wall or completely sideways must feel really strange to someone used to rock climbing thought... although some of you out there can probably do these feats without the aid of magnets.

...I mean we all know it's an abomination, but it does look like fun.

gds

Jun 24, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #5 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're making the assumption that it makes sense and actually works. That may be tenuous.

saltamonte

Jun 24, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #6 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Sheer novelty appeal [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would get old fast!

it looks like fun and I think adults as well as kids would enjoy TRYING it. but it wouldn't take too long before it would get boring the challenge would be over since you don't have to reach for a hold everywhere you put your hand is a hold! I would be surprised if you couldn't build a really great climbing wall for the price of one of those and the climbing wall would be easy to change and keep fresh and above all CHALLENGING

that spider wall looks like it would be cool at the county fair where lots of people would get to try it for the first time. but having one of your very own would probably get old!! and it would go the way of so many fancy workout contraptions and go into storage

of course if the gloves would work on just any old building downtown then you would be on to something REALLY COOL

thegreytradster

Jun 24, 2004, 8:36 PM
Post #7 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're making the assumption that it makes sense and actually works. That may be tenuous.

If you dig down in the site he claims that Congressman John Dingle (one of the nuttiest) was trying to get DOD interested. That in and of itself ought to answer the question of if it works. :roll:

There is a guy that makes a magnetic boot/handgrip that is used in the shipbuilding, tank building and maybe some military applications that does work. A lot more complicated than what's shown here.

A 1000 lb electromagnet can lift tens of tons of steel plate. You don't want to be anywhere close though when someone kicks the circuit breaker. :shock:

zen_alpinist

Jun 24, 2004, 8:38 PM
Post #8 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I would think that magnets that strong would begin to pull the iron out of your blood... or at least make you wet your pants and forget your name for a few days. God forbid you have a pacemaker!

They are using the super-strong rare-earth magnets. (neodymium) I believe I've heard that these can actually stimulate good health. Alot of people swear by them, fixing all sorts of ailments. Of course, it probably is just the placebo effect...but you never know.

In reply to:
of course if the gloves would work on just any old building downtown then you would be on to something REALLY COOL

Why wouldn't they? Their website mentions having climbed other metal structures. We're currently making a similar system for climbing metal light posts using similar magnets. Just don't let two of these magnets clack together...especially with skin inbetween them, I've had skin taken off by that method. Damn strong though.

robmcc

Jun 24, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #9 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...but what I still can't quite wrap my brain around is how a couple of strapped on magnets can possibly hold an adult to a wall. The physics just don't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. People aren't very magnetic. The magnetic field in an MRI is pretty strong, but you don't even feel it. Much as I like playing the sceptic, I have pretty much zero doubt that this would work.

In reply to:
...I mean we all know it's an abomination, but it does look like fun.

It isn't an abomination at all. Nobody said it's rock climbing. It's a different way to have fun. I bet kids would love it.

overlord

Jun 24, 2004, 9:24 PM
Post #10 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but if the magnest are able to hold you to hte wall, how are you able to move them?????

especiaqlly if storng enough to hold a 280lb adult and youre just a little kid.

saskclimber

Jun 24, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #11 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but if the magnest are able to hold you to hte wall, how are you able to move them?????

The way it probably works is that a single magnet isnt strong enough to stop you from pulling it off. You'd pull it off, replace it, and then do the same with the other 3 individually.

I wonder if you could pull off a dyno?

Partner coldclimb

Jun 24, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #12 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Screw the climbing and entertainment aspects... this looks like it could be pretty useful as a workout machine. Rig your magnets to holds of your choosing, and train on any angle of terrain you'd like. Slabs, overhang, vertical.... Interesting thought.

cabal666

Jun 24, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #13 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How would one rate these climbs? :D

saskclimber

Jun 24, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #14 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so make the back of the holds out of magnets, and instead of using t-nuts, just stick them on the wall?

ironmonk

Jun 24, 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #15 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How can you possibly say it wouldnt be fun to just crawl up the side of a sheer smooth wall, sure the novelty would wear off but it'd be fun for $5. and if you could use them to climb just any building... what a blast
Robert

kman

Jun 25, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #16 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
develop coordination and personal confidence as they push the limits of their own abilities...

Yeah you're sure pushing the limits there.

They have a message board on the site

In reply to:
Very technical climbing with this new technology in climbing. I have experienced many differant forms of thrill seeking and this is definately a challanging and new way to push yourself to the limits. I have climbed 24 feet on a 75 degree slope and then 7 more feet pure vertical, hanging on magnets.

:lol: :roll: So technical.

no_limit

Jun 25, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #17 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like it would be fun for most people, but really boring for us.

It would probably be fun for us the first couple of times, too, then we would realise it isn't.

b_fost

Jun 25, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #18 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It looks like it would be fun for most people, but really boring for us.

meet...'us'. we're better than you, and we know it!

:roll:

badass

Jun 25, 2004, 2:21 AM
Post #19 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scientists are modeling gloves and socks out of gecko's feet that will form a molecular bond with whatever they touch. If you don't believe me look it up in Climbing or Smithsonium. They are also making reuasable tape.

summit_plumit

Jul 1, 2004, 4:58 AM
Post #20 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This kinda scares me

tech_dog

Jul 1, 2004, 5:32 AM
Post #21 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll bet that it's a major pain in the ass to move. If the magnets are strong enough to keep you from sliding, it's got to take a lot of pulling to get them off the wall.

It's kind of like climbing, only much worse....

spider_climber

Aug 3, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #22 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello All,

In reviewing our web site stats, I saw that many of you have questions, false assumptions, and curiousity about our new climbing systems. So I thought maybe you might like to hear from the source. After posting this reply I will start a new string where you can at least get the facts straight from us. Because of the amazing web technology available now for web developers, we're able to see just how many of you come to our site (of course we don't know who you are, just where you came from) but only one actually posted comments on our forum page, and that was a bit negative. So I traced the link back and found your discussion string here.

Please understand we have no intention of comparing our sport to yours. I'm an avid rock climber too. (Tetons last summer) The sports are completely different and yet I think you'll find enough "cross-over" to find it facinating at least. For those of you who practice at indoor climbing centers, you'll probably see our systems show up in the facilities in the near future, so you might get the chance to try it. You may think it's not demanding or even technical... but think again. Have you ever tried to hold yourself in a horizontal plane on a rock face? Let alone move in a horizontal line? Because of the way our equipment works, spider climbers have to plan their next move just as much as any other climber does. The planned move is different in dimension though.

Anyway, let me start the conversation by addressing the climbing gear topic. We do use specially designed magnets of extrordinary strength. However it's not just one great big magnet that holds up all that weight. It's a series of small ones in a specific pattern. The gear is designed to incorporate physics not defy it. (the gear was designed by a physics teacher) It does take about 5 minutes of practice to learn how the gear engages and disengages the surface. It's kind of a peeling motion. Using the torque and leverage of natural body movements the gear easily disengages, yes, even small kids can do it. However, once the gear is engaged to a ferrous surface (yes, any ferrous surface), we use a rubberized coating to increase the friction coeffient to prevent the magnetic gear from sliding down the wall. The climbing gear is based on climber weight and comes in different sizes. (Check out the new online video)

Finally, we do have a patent currently pending in the US and Internationally, and have started to deliver systems to amusement parks, climbing centers, event rental operators and the like. Our statement that the gear is only approved for use on our wall systems is totally because of liability issues. We started testing our first prototypes on the local water tower....ever thought about climbing up the side of one of those?? Because of our simple design (it's not electro-magnetic) we have been developing an industrial version and military version... I think the coast guard and navy likes the idea of sending someone up the side of an oil tanker.

Thanks for your interest, we really do want your input and I'm also available for your questions. We are current working on mobile and fixed wall designs that will incorporate all kinds of angles and challenges, and we would truly welcome your ideas and thoughts in the process.

best regards,
Spider Climbing Inc.

Partner cliffhanger9

Aug 3, 2004, 2:30 PM
Post #23 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

you mean you havent seen the video!!!?

haha here...

http://www.spiderclimbing.com/Product_Video.htm

:mrgreen:

spider_climber

Aug 3, 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #24 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

...different size climbing gear. You don't all wear the same size climbing shoes do you???

overlord

Aug 3, 2004, 2:58 PM
Post #25 of 34 (5387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

...different size climbing gear. You don't all wear the same size climbing shoes do you???

i see...

i saw the video and see how it works. an interesting idea.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook