RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

cheattaaf

Jun 25, 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Steel Frame Climbing Wall
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for building a steel framed climbing wall. I see a lot of posts about wood framed walls, but nothing about steel.

Where can I find designs/instructions? Thanks

Chuck

chuffer

Jun 25, 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #2 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Re: Steel Frame Climbing Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is one that if you have to ask you're probably not qualified to do it. I'm not trying to be an a$$, but wooden walls use standard techniques that you can pretty easily learn from books. Designing and building a load bearing structure out of steel, however, requires a lot of specialized skills that you can't learn from the internet - not to mention tools.

Having said that, if you feel you have the skills to do it just go to your local gym and ask them if you can look at the structure behind the climbing surface. Commercial gyms and manufactured walls almost exclusively use a steel support structure.

J

cheattaaf

Jun 25, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If no one ever tried to learn a new skill then climbing gyms would never have been created in the first place.

No, I've never built one, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. That's why I'm looking for some advice and mabye a lead on some designs.

Anyway, thanks for the help...

Chuck

chuffer

Jun 25, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #4 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not trying to offend. But I would suggest that you build your home wall out of wood. It will be lots cheaper anyway. Especially since the price of steel has recently skyrocketed!

The only reasons to use steel are: 1) increased strength for many climbers at once and/or lead climbing, 2) you are building a tall freestanding pillar, or 3) your wall is very tall and dealing with large amounts of weight (see reason 1). None of these scenarios are typically found on a home wall, and wood is both less expensive and easier to work with.

J

trapdoor

Jun 25, 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #5 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've looked behind the "wall" at my gym before and it looked like they kind of just built it as they went. A tube here a tube there. Not that this is the way to go. I was a little surprised though.

socalbolter

Jun 26, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #6 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as someone who has built dozens of steel-framed structures, i beg to differ with the "the only reasons to..." post above.

if you can weld (or have a friend who can) the materials usually end up only moderately more expensive on all but the smallest of jobs.

the use of steel [assuming an understanding of structural design (trusses, etc.)] provides many more opportunities for intersecting angles and bulges. if you intend to build a structure that's somewhat simple in design i would agree that wood is your best bet. if you want to branch out and make something really cool, keep researching on the steel approach.

as mentioned it's not as cut and dried as wood framing, and would be difficult to teach through a post, but once you get the basics down it's not too difficult.

my first few home walls were wood framed. now that i can weld, i probably would never build another wood structure unless it was very basic.

good luck, and don't let the naysayers get you down.

Partner p_grandbois

Jun 26, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #7 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My dad is an Ironworker and welder by trade, if you need any ideas about this, go ahead and PM me, I gave him a call and any information you need just put it in a PM, and he will be glad to help out. His main peice of advice that he gave me to tell you is, make sure you know how to weld or have someone who does, and anticipate the weight difference if you are putting this inside.

Like I said, my pops says he would be more than willing to give you his expertise. PM me and I will let get him to give you whatever info he gives me.

chuffer

Jun 26, 2004, 1:48 AM
Post #8 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the use of steel [assuming an understanding of structural design (trusses, etc.)] provides many more opportunities for intersecting angles and bulges.

That's true. I hadn't considered this one. I guess I was just envisioning your basic home wall in my head.

However, I disagree with you about the cost being about the same in the end. A year ago that may have been true, but the price of steel has risen dramatically in the last six months or so.

J

socalbolter

Jun 26, 2004, 2:06 AM
Post #9 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chuffer -

i agree that steel prices have gone up considerably over the past year. i've built several commercial gyms during this period and have experienced the increase first hand.

steel prices aren't the only increases we've suffered though. sheet goods and lumber have gone up a bunch too.

on all but simple projects, i still think steel would be comparable in cost. when designed properly, the steel spans as far (based on common sizes used for both types) and the trusses require far simpler connections and fewer pieces to accomplish the same thing.

piece for piece (and this might vary from region to region) a 2" x 2" steel angle (20-foot long) is currently going for about $18.00 and 20 lineal feet of 2x6 is going for about $16.00. as you can see, very little difference here. the big savings though comes in volume. for more complex structures you will definitely use far fewer individual pieces of steel over wood, swinging the savings back over to the steel option. most do it yourself steel structures are over-engineered, using far more tube steel ($$$) than necessary.

not trying to argue here, just stating the facts. i've built about (50) commercial projects over the last few years and have used steel structures on all but a few of them. if you aren't skilled at welding, steel may not be an option, but it shouldn't be ruled out on principle alone or based on an exaggerated cost expectation.

trapdoor

Jun 26, 2004, 3:57 AM
Post #10 of 10 (8730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want steel that is less expensive then you should go to a scrap yard. Some of the yards have stacks of good stuff in almost any length you could get new.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook