RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

ralphwolf

Jun 26, 2004, 1:07 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

18 foot anchor sling
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lots of even only 2 anchor set-ups need more than 10 or 12 feet to properly equalize. But I can't find a commercial 18 or 20' Anchor Runner.

Any reason a 20' rabbit runner from...say Yates or Fish... in 1" nylon or better yet 11/16" Super Tape (to handle bending at edges better'n spectra type stuff) might be a bad idea? "Excessive" length an issue?

Bulk and weight probabely not the biggest deal figuring that any extra runners don't add weight - they replace other runners. Switchin' out the single strand 20' for an open 10' is a wash.

Thanks,

Mark

slobmonster

Jun 26, 2004, 1:16 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: 18 foot anchor sling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tie one yourself.

Buy some static line.

Use an eight or ten footer on each piece, instead of one gigunda sling for all.

But if you really need a swen runner that long you can probably find a custom source... Yates might do it.

corpse

Jun 26, 2004, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have an 18' from Yates and really really like it. so very compact & light carrying up the climb, and quick to setup.. clip each end, clip the middle, equalize, tie the knot, good to go..

One thing to note I found interesting. I was looking at another yates the other day, and noticed the sewn loops were smaller than mine.. On mine, I can easily use 2 biners, but for some reason, the "almost identical" one at the stores had much smaller loops, where you can only comfortably fit 1 biner it ..

sharpie

Jun 26, 2004, 2:49 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not just use a cordalette?

corpse

Jun 26, 2004, 3:12 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the advantage of a webolette, or the yates rabbit runners, is that it has the 2 end sewn end loops, which results in 2 fewer strands you have to knot. I'm not a walking gear encyclopedia like many others around here, so there will be more views I'm sure.. The yates rabbit runner, which is identical to the mtn tools web-o-lette http://www.mtntools.com/cat/mt/webolette/webolette.html
http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/slings/index.htm#5
except mine is 18ft feet, which is useful for some of hte TR anchors I setup near the crags I go to.
Anyways, it's strong, 22kn in anchor formation.. And it's real light too..

cordalette certainly has it's advantages, like if you get in a jam and need to cut some up for a prussik or something.. But I usually carry a few pieces of cordalette with me nowadays "just in case"..

myjeepisdirty

Jun 30, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have an 18' from Yates and really really like it ...

One thing to note I found interesting. I was looking at another yates the other day, and noticed the sewn loops were smaller than mine.....

-Yates makes a RESCUE anchor sling with larger eyes for multiple attachments for rescue baskets. If you like those check out: www.pacificrescue.com and go down to webbing.

ralphwolf

Jul 12, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius is sending me a 20 ft Equalizer Super Sling at $32. I like their stuff and their webbing seems to have a good rep. Really different than anyone elses tape? I don't know, but I hear it's stronger and better with abrasion.

Yates woulda done it for $27...

Mark

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook