Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ricardol

Jun 30, 2004, 7:45 PM
Post #1 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Where were YOU this weekend? ..
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

.. summer is here .. the weather is perfect .. i'd like to hear what everyone else did this weekend..

.. throw in a sentence or two about something exciting that happened during yrou climb .. or even throw in a link to a trip report if you got one ..

I spent saturday and sunday hanging out in yosemite valley .. did nutcracker (5 pitches, 5.8) on saturday (had it all to ourselves!!) .. and then linked commitment (3 pitches, 5.9) and salaginella (4 pitches, 5.8) on sunday ..

.. i led all pitches .. which was exhausting (trying to get back into shape!) .. our exciting moment came when we started going up salaginella and dark clouds rolled into the valley, we could hear thunder coming down in the distance (up in toulomne probably) .. -- luckily the storm turned directions and exited the valley over half-dome ..

.. perfect yosemite weekend! ..

-- ricardo

caughtinside

Jun 30, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #2 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where were YOU this weekend? .. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool. Selagenella and Munginella are the only Valley climbs I've done. Gotta get back for more!

Predictably, I worked saturday and sunday night, but sunday morning-afternoon Roughster and I blasted up to Auburn where I sent up Confusion Tactics, for my first 5.12.

It was a little crazy because I didn't feel so hot, and climbed like steaming poo on my first 3 climbs. 5.8, shaky. 10c, shaky, 1 fall! 10c, shaky.

Shook it off, got in the zone, and sent it up. Hope it doesn't sound too much like spray! 8^)

tarzan420

Jun 30, 2004, 7:50 PM
Post #3 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i slept.

Almost 36 hours (out of 72). Exciting, huh?

firsttraxx

Jun 30, 2004, 7:52 PM
Post #4 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great weekend, Ricardo.

I went on the next in a series of "hazardous hikes" in Aquarian Valley -- close to San Jose, CA.

Soloed a few slabs, bushwhacked through some nasty manzanita, dropped my pack in poison oak.

Dang. I look like I got caned this weekend, and I itch.

Still, I think I have a bunch more fun when I'm lost.

FT

Partner coldclimb

Jun 30, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #5 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A Picture is worth a thousand words. I climbed with Rock_Raptor on some trad, some sport, and then a few boulders. Awesome day.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=34960

sarcat

Jun 30, 2004, 7:59 PM
Post #6 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took my 9 and 6 year old kids to a 5.5 climb and started to teach them how to lead.

Watch Return of the King.

Mowed the lawn.

Went on a search up Indian Hills (Provo, UT) for a 15 year old kid that fell 15 ft. and broke both forearms. He called his parents to tell them and then his phone went dead. Did we ever start in the wrong spot.

lambone

Jun 30, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Phish- Alpine Valley. Wisconsin
http://phish.com/...r_183/20040625_6.jpg

Looking for Coventry tickets at a reasonable price...

http://phish.com/...r_184/20040626_1.jpg

:)

skateman

Jun 30, 2004, 8:21 PM
Post #8 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad climbed recom-beast on cathedral ledge in NH! 4 Pitches....5.5,5.7,5.9,5.9!

Memorable events:

1. Almost hit a moose while going down the road to Cove Campground!
2. Some party above us dropped at least two pieces of gear! What looked
like a number 3 camelot (hard to tell when it's going 100mph) made a cool
whoosing noise as it flew past me on the belay ledge!

As soon as I get around to running photoshop, I will post some pics!

Dan

toejam

Jun 30, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #9 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Saturday, I was finishing up a Needles trip with a morning at Dome Rock. Lead a fun little route called Left Crack, starts with a somewhat tricky to protect 5.8 traverse, to a beautiful 5.7 crack, 5.9ish slab, then finishes with a big runout on old bolts. This with roadside cluebies chucking rocks off the top.

Sunday was heading out to see farenheit 911 when I got a SAR call. Wound up carrying a backpacker with a broken leg out through a rocky streambed covered with poison oak. He'd been stranded there for about 36 hours before we found him.

A satisfying weekend, but I'm still itching...

watchme

Jun 30, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #10 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boating on the local river (North Fork of the Shoshone). Finally got my boat outfitted (C1) and it is super nice.

This weekend: Wild Iris near Lander.

Wyoming is a nice place to live.

Partner wormly81

Jun 30, 2004, 8:37 PM
Post #11 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yippe! I get to relive last weekend.

On Thursday night I met my buddy Yann at rock and snow in New Paltz before heading over to the multi-use area for a little pregame. Woke up the next morning, made the long drive over to the Trapps , and proceeded to climb Raubenheimers Special. Followed that up with a little bouldering around the budda and then toproped Pheobe <10b> and CC <5.7>. All in all a beautiful day at the Gunks followed by a little party back in Jersey. On Friday we stopped by the New Jersey Rock Gym to get a quick workout and then relaxed a bit more. Beer-b-ques consumed the rest of that wonderful weekend.

This next weekend is shaping up even better with a day planned at Rumney to be followed up with a day at Cathedral Ledge. Can't wait to get the boat out on Lake Winnipisauke for a little sun and fun. Whoohoo. Life is great.

Jeff

ropeburn

Jun 30, 2004, 8:39 PM
Post #12 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three hours of sleep and a killer hangover left me more nauseous than normal three quarters of the way up a pitch in Shenandoah. The supposed 70 degree day had turned for the worse and at least 20mph winds and what felt like forty degree weather didn't make for a comfortable time bringing up my partner.
But the day got sunnier, hangover got lighter, and beers at the end of the day were still cold.

atg200

Jun 30, 2004, 8:49 PM
Post #13 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i went surfing at huanchaco near trujillo in northern peru. nice waves, great ceviche, and the beer was cold at the nightclub in trujillo saturday night. it was a bummer to head back to cajamarca to work in the mines on monday.

nnichols

Jun 30, 2004, 8:56 PM
Post #14 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
.. summer is here .. the weather is perfect ..

17 days straight of rain in June - a new record for Central TX. Got caught in a thunderstorm hiking out of Enchanted Rock after climbing 4 routes on Sunday.

Worked on Saturday (it rained all day), had my tires rotated and balanced, watched a movie at home, drank some beer (at home), and read a little bit.

Looking forward to climbing this weekend (only 10% chance of rain!)

bandycoot

Jun 30, 2004, 9:06 PM
Post #15 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had LASIK eye surgery. I didn't hit the rocks but next time I do I'll be lookin at them with 20/15 or better! I woke up 24 hours after the surgery with 20/15 vision and I think it improved a little since then. :D

ctclimbz

Jun 30, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #16 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was also in the Valley this weekend. Left Berkeley at 6:00 Saturday morning, got to the Middle Cathedral pullout at 9:30. Started climbing the East Buttress at 10:00, topped out just before 3:00. Tried the original '10c' variation for the second time, peeled at the 4th bolt, still feels like the hardest 10c I've ever been on! The view from the top was incredible, even after climbing 1100 vertical feet, we were still only about halfway up the flanks of El Cap, looming at us across the Valley. Topped out, sat and admired the view with some fine 'long bottom leaf...' and grubbed some food. Descent was the usual slog, although somebody did a great job of cleaning up the rappels in the gully, and we made it back to the car just after 4:30. Plenty of time for a few beers and back to Berkeley by 10:00. Incredible day, the weather was absolutely perfect. Sunny, but with just enough breeze to keep comfortable. Plus, amazingly, there was nobody on the route! I also saw the clouds ominously gathering over Tuolumne and was glad to be in the Valley. Great weekend, hopefully will get up to Fairview dome next weekend.

ikefromla

Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 PM
Post #17 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed at Mt Chizelton. I got on a few hard rock climbs. I will do them.

beth23

Jun 30, 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #18 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rolled into C4 around 4am Saturday. Bivied at a friend's site. Woke up and found more friends, seeing who was climbing what that weekend. A few of us decided to head to Tuolumne for the weekend since the valley had been hot. Went over to the pizza loft and visited a buddy and got some grub before heading over to the eastside. Put up a TR on Do or Fly on Puppy Dome and got spanked. My partner and I decided to do RR of Fairview Sunday so we headed to the Cottage Dome area and hiked to the top for a great view of Fairview in the early evening light. Drew our own topo for RR, had a couple beers and stared at the beauty of nature among us. As darkness crept in, S and I headed down to Lee Vining to see my friend Valerie in town. She wasn't around though so we headed up the pass again to a favorite bivy site. Rolled in there and found only 4 other cars, 2 of which were occupied by other friends of ours. Slept under the Lee Vining Canyon stars. Woke up, made coffee, hung out with friends...one of which is an excellent guitar player....he played his guitar and sang songs as we drank coffee, talked upcoming climbs and racked up. S and I headed to Fairview Dome around 10am. All went smoothly until about halfway up the route when some thunderstorms threatened us nearby. Bolts of lightning hitting in plain view, was kinda heady. We started simulclimbing the route at that point to make speed and get up and off the dome without being turned into human lightning rods. By the time we were within 200 feet of the summit the storm subsided, the lightning and thunder stopped. When we topped out we took a minute to enjoy the remarkable view from up there. Hiked off, hung out at the car and told stories and talked and enjoyed the magical nature of Tuolumne. Eventually headed back to C4, along the way saw one of the more remarkable sunsets I'd seen there in awhile. We pulled over and watched the colors in the sky for about 40 minutes til darkness overcame them. Eventually returned to C4, had a beer or two and went to sleep. Got up Mon. AM and returned back here to work.

Typical weekend for me in other words.

petsfed

Jun 30, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #19 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Green River/Rock Springs area. Natural Corrals. (Apparently) Unfinished line. Needs bolts for the lead.

zeta

Jun 30, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #20 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i did have a super exciting weekend b/c i was in tuolumne and spent two days climbing and getting chased off as impending storms approached. Saturday was Matthes Crest--did the first mile to the notch, then started on the next section--which has some 5.8 downclimbing moves with little (if any) protection. Storms start to come, we're desperate to get off the ridge--we were so happy to find some bail slings to rap off of.

Sunday, we go to do Cathedral and we get wet snow on us the last pitch, with lightening and thunder coming closer and closer..."climb faster!" scurrying as fast as possible to get back down to safety.

all in all, a great weekend, but a little too close to the storms! Always love being in Tuolumne, though.

rmiller

Jun 30, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #21 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spent both days in the ER while my girlfriend was having a rod and 4 screws put in her leg due to a skydiving accident. Well, I guess I did some skydives too, but they seem so long ago.

phugganut

Jul 1, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #22 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A Picture is worth a thousand words...

No doubt! Last weekend we packed into the Grand Canyon and climbed Mt. Hayden.

http://img28.imageshack.us/...8/6721/MtHayden2.jpg

The approach was absolutely heinous, but the rock was nice, the weather perfect, and the scenery sublime. Yep, it was a good weekend. :)

boretribe

Jul 1, 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #23 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cheering on my daughter's softball team as they came in 3rd in the Northern California Championship and qualified for the California State Games.

Probably the most fun I've had sitting on my ass for 2 days straight.

Partner costellobr

Jul 1, 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #24 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at good ole Seneca, WV on Saturday doing some multipitch on a beautiful day.

karmaklimber

Jul 1, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #25 of 59 (5278 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tuolomne!

Saturday I did my first multi-pitch climb: Needles & Spoons on Pywiak

Also played on some sport routes on Meldicott Dome (the same area where Peace is). Sent my first 11 on sport.

Headed on over to Puppy Dome to flail all over a 12a finger/hand crack.

Great weekend.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook