RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

suicidal_soldier

Jun 29, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

ideas on breaking into small shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i've got myself a pair of mammut pyscho, UK5.5 and realised that the size is rather loose when i wore it back at home. so i went back to the shop and changed to UK5, thinking that it should fit well since UK5.5 is so comfy. but im so wrong.. i cant get my feet into it and gotta resort to covering my heels with pieces of thin plastic sheets to slide my feet in. it's really troublesome and painful.. it's also too tight that i strained my ankle from the effort of trying to stuff my heels in...

does anyone out there have any idea on how i can break into them asap or expand the size up abit? the fit of the shoes is perfect for me, only problem lies with the difficulty of wearing them..

nzape

Jun 29, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Re: ideas on breaking into small shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I once had this problem with a pair of 5.10's, I eventually got them to fit by gritting my teeth and forcing my feet in, then hobbling around the house in pain...

After a few therapeutic sessions, I had a pair of 'hardest routes only' shoes that lasted many years of occasional redpoints.

tigerbythetail

Jun 29, 2004, 2:26 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the fit of the shoes is perfect for me, only problem lies with the difficulty of wearing them..

You may have a career in politics with your doublespeak...sounds like they're too small - ya' think?

krustyklimber

Jun 29, 2004, 4:34 AM
Post #4 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a similar thing with two pairs of climbing shoes, a pair of Reeboks, and a pair of La Sportiva Kaukulators.

The Reeboks finally came around, and now fit my feet like they were made for them, they are on their second set of resoles and have had a rands done once too... they will always be my "go to" shoes.

Sportivas never did, even though they were closer to fitting upon purchasing them.

I used the same method on both pairs of shoes... time, torture, tools and the tub.

First try just putting them on, and sitting down and waiting. Then lace em up, if you can.
If you need to stretch them a lot, go to a shoe shop, and buy a pair of shoe stretchers (I found a pair at the 99cent store).
Put your shoes on and soak em in the tub in lukewarm water, and then wear them until they're pretty close to dry, if you can. If not, or when ready to go to bed ;) pack some paper inside them to push out on the spots you need to stretch the most, apply a small amount of tension to the stretcher (they can tear some shoes right up) and say "see ya tomorrow"...

Repeat as necessary

There's no fast way that I know of.

Krusty http://pages.prodigy.net/.../emoticons/wave1.gif

walllizzard

Jun 29, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #5 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a tub, fill it full of, hot as u can stand, water. Place feet in water with shoes on. Wear shoes in tub till water is cold. Take feet out of water and wear shoes dry. Then admire ur wonderfuly stained feet. This is how i broke in a pair or Bambas a few yrs ago.

musicman

Jun 29, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had this same exact questiong with my LaSportiva Miura's, the best way is obviously climb in them because that will strecth them the way they were meant to be used. I read alot every night so i wore them in my bed for 15-20 minutes strait while reading, pretty painful, but stretched em good. i also would throw em on around the house when watching tv or something. also, if you can, get a pair of socks on so it will have even more tension (and pain :shock: ) in them. it will hurt, and you may not notice the stretch at all for a few days, but then one day your foot will just slide right in and everything will be perfect and the world will be a better place.

p.s. i really don't think using water/bath is a very good idea, people told me too but the effects of that just seem to risky and uncontrolled, when the shoe is on your feet the way it would be climbing it will stretch the way it will when you climb, you don't climb underwater, it also seemed a little bad for the shoes

just my 2 cents

simianboy

Jun 29, 2004, 7:17 AM
Post #7 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, what you do is....

1. Find a noob that has feet about your size or maybe a little bigger even
2. Take him climbing and lend him you shoes
3. Send him on some hard routes, pump him out and take your shoes back
4. Eat a Mentos, give a thumbs up sign and smile at the camera

calfcramp

Jul 1, 2004, 2:09 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have Anasazi Velcros. When I got them, the left shoe was REALLY tight. My big toe was a little bent and when I put all my weight on that foot, I felt a lot of pressure on the big 'knuckle' on my big toe. I was worried they wouldn`t stretch due to the fact that they`re synthetic uppers. I bought em anyway cause I got em cheap...

Anyhoo, they did stretch. Probably only took 4-5 days of climbing in the gym. Now they fit like a glove... For feet...so I guess that would be more like a sock than a glove. Or perhaps a slipper..... but I digress.....

THE POINT: They'll stretch, but you gotta work for it.

omenbringer

Jul 1, 2004, 2:51 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as long as they are all leather, wearing them in the shower then keeping them on until they dry works wonders. I've used this method on 4 different pairs of shoes with great success. If they are synthetics you'll just have to suffer thru them while climbing, but dont expect them to stretch much. Dont expect miracals though, most of a shoes stretch will be in width not length.
P.S. if those shoes are synthetic then you should probably just go and get another pair cause they wont stretch much.

flipnfall

Jul 1, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Take a tub, fill it full of, hot as u can stand, water. Place feet in water with shoes on. Wear shoes in tub till water is cold. Take feet out of water and wear shoes dry. Then admire ur wonderfuly stained feet. This is how i broke in a pair or Bambas a few yrs ago.

I second that! It's about the only way. However, make sure that you didn't get shoes that are too tight. I did this when 5.10's UFOs came out and despite the fact that I soaked them, I lost permanent feeling in both of my small toes. This was probably due to the fact that I was climbing in Eldorado Canyon on hanging belays and didn't want to accidentally drop them (like I did with our water bottle), so I never took them off. My climbing grade did not suffer when I finally got a 1/2-size larger (I was still flashing 12b and redpointing some 13a at the time...not anymore) and I wasn't in so much pain.

GT

gds

Jul 1, 2004, 3:52 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've noticed that climbers divid into two groups.

First, there are those who are always hobbling around in too small shoes and waiting for them to break in.

Then there are those who just buy the right size.

I haven't noticed that group #1 climbs any harder than group # 2 but they do tend to be younger.

I've also noticed that almost all trad climbers fall into group # 2.

slablizard

Jul 1, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wear them while you watch a movie. Or in your office. Repeat until they fit. Then start walking in them in the house. Repeat until they don't hurt that much anymore.

musicman

Jul 1, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've noticed that climbers divid into two groups.

First, there are those who are always hobbling around in too small shoes and waiting for them to break in.

Then there are those who just buy the right size.

I haven't noticed that group #1 climbs any harder than group # 2 but they do tend to be younger.

I've also noticed that almost all trad climbers fall into group # 2.

see, if you by shoes that fit real snug at the store, then you climb, and they'll still strecth abit, then they no longer fit perfect, its different with all shoes, but, i guess its mostly preference,

yosemite

Jul 1, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife's great grandmother could have used your shoes. She had bound feet, but alas, she is no longer with us.

Turn your shoes over and beat them viscously with a hammer. It breaks down some of the interior adhesions and makes them easier to stretch.

chalked4dyno

Jul 1, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first got my Zens.. I put them on and had to take them off within 5 minutes. I just kept wearing them for as long as I could bear it. I also took a couple hot showers in them. Now they fit like a glove (or a tight climbing shoe)!. You can get some speacial stuff (i think it's alcohol based) to break in leather (shoes, baseball gloves etc..). Your best bet is to just be patient. If you can never actually wear them, you'll know to get bigger ones next time!

cg

Jul 7, 2004, 5:10 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine stuffs a golf ball into the toe and jams a stick into the shoe along the vertical length. It's kinda like a makeshift version of one of those devices some people use to keep the shape of their shoes.

vegastradguy

Jul 8, 2004, 4:06 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i always wonder at these threads with people crying about their painfully tight shoes.

so, i'm starting to look for a sport shoe thats a little more snug than my trad shoes, and i discovered that my foot doesnt fit in just any type of shoe. i also found that in shoes its painfully tight, a half size bigger, they tend to be very loose. this turned out to be because of my toe profile. i cant wear a shoe with an asym toe profile without my toes knuckling. this bummed me out a bit, but it also let me focus on finding the best shoe for both the climbing i want to do and that fits my foot well.

i suspect that alot of people are wearing the wrong shoe for their foot. I also suspect that many people think that the tighter the shoe the better (which is not the case at all).

anyway, perhaps you should spend a bit more time looking for the better fitting shoe and less time trying to stretch out a shoe that obviously doesnt work with your foot shape.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook