Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coylec

Apr 12, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #26 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Re: Non-traditional pro... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was just thinking that since Nalgene bottles are pretty hard to break, has anyone ever wedged one in some weird crack and girthed it w/ a sling or anything like that? Weird question, I know, but you never know...

Someone on this site has rappelled off a nalgene, though I can't find it using the search function. I believe it was slung and put into a crack, but I can't confirm this.

coylec

reno

Apr 12, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #27 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once did a climb with a guy who slid a small rock into a length of webbing, and tied it off above and below the rock. The rock was now INSIDE the webbing, and he slotted it like a nut.

I had concerns about the abrasion of the webbing in case of a fall, but as he didn't fall, it was a moot point.

Still and all... kinda unique.

swissy131

Apr 13, 2004, 2:45 AM
Post #28 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yo,
I’m not going to be to historically precise here (do your own research to verify what I say) but back in the day (1920's-1950's) climbers in Europe (specifically Great Britain and Czechoslovakia) didn't have premade gear and would use nuts (as in nuts and bolts) on cord as pro. Also the cowstail (Piece of rope with a knot on the end which would be jammed into cracks) used to be standard gear throughout Europe.
When you compare the gear those climbers had to get by with to the "luxurious" gear we have today you start to realize that they were Ludicrously hard core.

- The Swiss Man

summerprophet

Apr 13, 2004, 3:01 AM
Post #29 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On an aid wall once, I hooked in a crack with my nut tool. It did the job, and saved my partner from having to dig out the hammer and pins from the bottom of the bag for a single move.

J.

jt512

Apr 13, 2004, 3:21 AM
Post #30 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I once did a climb with a guy who slid a small rock into a length of webbing, and tied it off above and below the rock. The rock was now INSIDE the webbing, and he slotted it like a nut.

Actually, slinging chockstones is about as traditional as pro gets.

-Jay

vincent

Apr 13, 2004, 3:44 AM
Post #31 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the stovelegs a few have referred to were not actual stovelegs shoved into wide cracks. they were pitons made out of scrounged stovelegs. i'm sure you could find a crack to shove an actual stoveleg in though....

json

Apr 13, 2004, 3:56 AM
Post #32 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In Squamish there is a climb called march of the kitchen utensils- forget the grade, 5.8 maybe and in the smoke bluffs, anyways the FA was done using kitchen utensils for pro. A toaster, was used, knives and forks, stuff like that, made me laugh.

norushnomore

Apr 14, 2004, 9:13 AM
Post #33 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="pyrosis"]One of my favorite climbs is called Candyland, an overhanging knobby face at the Phantom Spires in near Lake Tahoe, which could have been bolted but its not. You just go right up, slinging the knobs as you go. They're bomber. I guess its not that untraditional, but its ALL the pro for the whole climb. Its the un-sportclimb.

Tavis
Goes at 10b/c, very fun, all you need is 4-5 trad slings, quickdraws won't work thus a very true trad climb all face but the last move of the shalow horisontal crack
Must do

sharpie

Apr 14, 2004, 4:48 PM
Post #34 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Actually, slinging chockstones is about as traditional as pro gets.

-Jay

He's saying that the guy put a rock inside a length of tubular webbing and tied it off then placed it like a stopper...not slung a chockstone. But, if he knotted one end, presumably the end that held the rock in place and got placed in the crack, how did he sling the other end or clip into it...Reno???

rjavery10

Jun 23, 2004, 1:59 PM
Post #35 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No sh-t, I actually used one of my climbing shoes as "pro". I took it off and slammed that bad boy into a crack and girth hitched it. I fell about 3 feet above it and it held. I didn't rest too long though. I think I fell because I didn't have the shoe on one foot so maybe I would have been better off not to have done it at all.

gritstoner

Jun 23, 2004, 2:49 PM
Post #36 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is a route in north wales that has a cordless kettle about two thirds of the way up.
suicide wall has a tent peg in a small amount of grass on a ledge as one of the few pieces of gear.

off_route

Jun 23, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #37 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always wanted to use my nut tool as pro....

Off_Route

sandstone

Jun 23, 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #38 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

placed stones, slung with runners
jammed knots, cord or webbing
machine nuts slung with cord
home-made wooden wedges
home-made steel pitons

It's pretty cool that with a little drive and ingenuity you don't have to let something like poverty stand in the way of your dreams. That said, I am very thankful I'm no longer dirt poor, and especially thankful that I now have a proper rack. I still use the pitons on some aid climbs.

mingleefu

Jun 23, 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #39 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't there some legendary off-width that was climbed by a couple of legendary climbers involving 2x4's? If I remember the story correctly, the leader climbed up with a tape measure and measured the crack, while someone else on the ground cut them to the right length and sent them up via zipline. They were slung and placed longways like a big bro, but this was pre big bro era.

I just did a google search and found something along this line called "Stahl Brothers Chimney" at The Outback-Rock Hudson.. Linked.. is that the one I'm thinking of?

There's also a TR about using a 2x4 as pro on terragalleria.com

My question about that story still stands.. I know I read it somewhere...

wlderdude

Jul 2, 2004, 3:04 AM
Post #40 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have heard of people using sissor jacks for chimney pro. I have always wanted to try it, but have never been willing to pack in anything that heavy, even for TR.

goodwill

Jul 2, 2004, 4:44 AM
Post #41 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't there some legendary off-width that was climbed by a couple of legendary climbers involving 2x4's? If I remember the story correctly, the leader climbed up with a tape measure and measured the crack, while someone else on the ground cut them to the right length and sent them up via zipline. They were slung and placed longways like a big bro, but this was pre big bro era.

I don't know about the tape measure and zipline, but Open Book at Tahquitz was first climbed using 2x4's for pro. I'd consider it a pretty legendary climb (America's first 5.9) and it was first climbed by Royal Robbins, certainly a legendary climber.

incogneato

Jul 2, 2004, 5:11 AM
Post #42 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In Squamish there is a climb called march of the kitchen utensils- forget the grade, 5.8 maybe and in the smoke bluffs, anyways the FA was done using kitchen utensils for pro. A toaster, was used, knives and forks, stuff like that, made me laugh.

Sorry dude, but that is way off!

"March of the Kitchen Utensils" is an easy off-width on the back-side of the Chief (not the Smoke Bluffs). It was named for the first nude ascent of Diedre when the climbers used utensils for pro, pots for helmets, and paper bags over their faces to conceal their identity.

ikellen

Jul 2, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #43 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This guy I climbed with told me this story that back when he first starting tradding, he would simply grab car parts from a junk yard, wedge them and then sling them, and that was his pro :lol:

qpang

Jul 2, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #44 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once tried using my nuts as "nuts", but I wouldn't recommend it. It really hurts if you fall on them, and they tend to pull out as you climb up. :shock:

Partner philbox

Jul 2, 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #45 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of carparts, check out the old engine valve used as a piton in this anchor.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=18701

mrtristan

Jul 2, 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #46 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That pic is awesome!

I've been thinking about jamming slung rocks and knotted slings into cracks and then testing them to see how well they hold... Maybe when I go climbing tomorrow... I'll keep you guys posted.

-Tristan

Partner angry

Jul 2, 2004, 1:24 PM
Post #47 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a climb called Horn's Mother in Vedauwoo that was climbed using 2x4's, in fact, some of them are still stuck back in the pod.

As far as the Nalgene bottle goes, I don't think you guys were talking about me but I have placed mine on lead. Not because I needed to but because it was funny. I placed a toothbrush to protect the final moves of some silly route in Boulder last weekend. Again, just screwing around.

I met a dude in th valley a few years back who actually had cast wallnuts out of brass. He used them like stoppers and loved them.

I talked to a guy that said a king size snickers burried in a T-trench is a bomber anchor. I called BS on him and it was summer so he couldn't prove it. Maybe it'd work.

crag

Jul 2, 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #48 of 48 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This guy I climbed with told me this story that back when he first starting tradding, he would simply grab car parts from a junk yard, wedge them and then sling them, and that was his pro :lol:

Valves made great pitons, gotta love them old push rod engines.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook