RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

vashie

Jul 4, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Helpful hooks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I ran into my first aid experience by accident just recently. A once nice crimp hold on this short sandstone trad rout has been sheared off and was way too small to hold on to. I thought of using my nut tool as a hook and aiding the move, bad idea. What would be a good general hook I could take on my rack for just such an occasion? pleas help I am scared.

Partner coylec

Jul 4, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Re: Helpful hooks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first reply is not the best reply.

I'd argue for the talon . It's three hooks for the price of one. The tripod shape provides additional stablity and its the most clusterf--- free of the hooks that I have.

It's large enough to be comfortable, but small enough to work in many places. The three hooks give you variety in placement options.

I'd recommend it because its my personal favorite, though.

A word of warning: the use of hooks on delicate holds is, as Bender would say, "counterindicated by my manufacturer's instructions". It applies the entirity of your bodyweight + gear (usu. a lot), into a very small point. In weak rock, you can shear off more hold and damage a route. I don't know the proper etiquette regarding aiding free routes in your area, so I'll default to your judgment on whether you should or not ... I'm merely offering advice regarding how you could.

coylec

edit: "a word of warning" added.

Partner coylec

Jul 6, 2004, 5:22 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche - i was playing around with my BD nuttool ... its very unstable and has a tendancy to rotate ... unlike hooks, which typically have two point at the base for stablity, a nut tool is only going to have one point. i'd add something about "manufacturer's instructions" except jerry-rigging seems to be a fact of life here in the aid forum.

vashie - you may want to do some searches for favorite hooks in the forums search and read through the gear reviews. Hooks are listed under passive protection (cause that's what they are).

coylec

tradmanclimbs

Jul 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the talon feels a bit more stable to me and i prefer it for thin hooking but the talons large radius lets you hook larger features.

Partner coylec

Jul 7, 2004, 1:54 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been getting bored here in portland ... i may have to take up welding :twisted:

coylec

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook