Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Anyone tried rubber bands on rope end of slings?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

glowering

Jul 8, 2004, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Anyone tried rubber bands on rope end of slings?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've noticed the rope end biner on a sling often gets turned upside down or possibly cross-loaded as you pass it or the rope moves it. I was thinking about putting a rubber band to hold the biner in place (like on a quickdraw.)

Anyone tried this?

Any (safety) reason not to?

saskclimber

Jul 8, 2004, 7:55 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone tried rubber bands on rope end of slings? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it should work if it's used on a locker. I dunno how good it would stay in place though. Try cutting a small piece of shoelace, and tying both free ends next to each other on the sling side of the biner. Then put the sling through the shoelace.

petsfed

Jul 8, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It can be inconvenient when you want to use the sling for more than just a really long quickdraw. But its just a rubber band, so if you need the thing that much, just take the band off.

dorkmaster

Jul 8, 2004, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, its fine, but if you need to extend the sling, it might be a tad more difficult, and you will lose the elastic...
when I'm sport climbing for the day, I use rubber bands on both ends of my trad draws so that the biners dont flop around.

climbersoze

Jul 8, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no safety issues there... of course, I would be more prone to just use a small strip of athletic tape. It is easier to keep track of one roll of tape than to keep track of a rack of rubber bands :P

Also, the tape wont break as easy as a rubber band (taking off and putting back on). There is also the litter consideration... but that is also possible with tape....

I thought about this way too much...

climbhigh23

Jul 8, 2004, 8:03 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i used to use rubberbands for this, but they dry rot too quickly and end up falling off. what i've found that works well for me is the elastic hair things girls use to pull their hair into a pony tail. they are cheap, and last a hell-of-a-lot longer than a rubberband does.

in regards to extending the sling that dork mentioned, as long as you only want one of the biners to be held tight (the rope end like you mentioned), put biners on both ends of the sling, put the elastic on the end with the biner you want to keep from spinning, and then double your sling. you can still extend the sling, and not have to worry about removing the elastic.

tigerbythetail

Jul 8, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Petzl makes one called the String, and they retail for $1.10 each. It's the same thing you'll find on their quickdraws.

pancaketom

Jul 8, 2004, 8:23 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rubber bands work, but they rot (as mentioned above). Hair ties work, but why use something you have to buy? Get an old bicycle inner tube and cut it up into lots of little loops. depending on how fat the inner tube and how you wrap it on the 'biner and draw this can work very satisfactorily and they last at least a year or 2. I usually put the band on the biner, then twist it, put the draw on through the band, then twist it again and stretch it to clip it back again onto the biner. This takes a mountain bike tube sized band. Make sure it is tight enough that the band won't slip down and possibly hold the gate open, or slide around so that it keeps the 'biner in a cross loaded position.

Nearly any bicycle store will give you old flat inner tubes if you ask nicely. They also can be turned into bungie cords.

As an added bonus, for stick clipping you can stick the end of a stick through the band and put a twig in the gate holding it open, and voila... you have become a real sport weenie or hard core aid fiend without having to carry around or buy a specialized stick.

climbhigh23

Jul 8, 2004, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rubber bands work, but they rot (as mentioned above). Hair ties work, but why use something you have to buy? Get an old bicycle inner tube and cut it up into lots of little loops. depending on how fat the inner tube and how you wrap it on the 'biner and draw this can work very satisfactorily and they last at least a year or 2. I usually put the band on the biner, then twist it, put the draw on through the band, then twist it again and stretch it to clip it back again onto the biner. This takes a mountain bike tube sized band. Make sure it is tight enough that the band won't slip down and possibly hold the gate open, or slide around so that it keeps the 'biner in a cross loaded position.

Nearly any bicycle store will give you old flat inner tubes if you ask nicely. They also can be turned into bungie cords.

As an added bonus, for stick clipping you can stick the end of a stick through the band and put a twig in the gate holding it open, and voila... you have become a real sport weenie or hard core aid fiend without having to carry around or buy a specialized stick.

good idea...i like this one. i'll have to give it a try, it sounds like it'll last even longer than the hair ties.

if you have a girlfriend like mine, you never have to buy the hair ties....you'll find them absolutely everywhere :)

tarzan420

Jul 8, 2004, 8:41 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you have a girlfriend like mine, you never have to buy the hair ties....you'll find them absolutely everywhere Smile

amen to that.

andy_reagan

Jul 8, 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

could binding the rope biner to the sling possibly transmit more tension to the placement perhaps dislodging it? I always thought one of the reasons trad draws are loose is to limit the tension exerted through the system when pulling up rope for the next clip, etc.

kbearchk

Jul 8, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So THAT's where all my hair ties have gone! And I thougth they were all in the vacuum.

:lol:

isenforcer

Jul 8, 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would be more prone to just use a small strip of athletic tape. It is easier to keep track of one roll of tape than to keep track of a rack of rubber bands

Using athletic tape is not a good idea in the long run. The adhesive from the tape will pull dirt and grit into the fibers which will act like sandpaper everytime the sling moves and bends.

isenforcer

Jul 8, 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tried to add the first line above as a quote but I didn't see the big button marked quote.

Now I just sound like a schizophrenic bonehead.

nolan14

Jul 9, 2004, 2:34 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the toy biner thread oin the general forum, it may take a while to find but you will definently get the anwer that I am too lazy to give.

ajkclay

Jul 9, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
could binding the rope biner to the sling possibly transmit more tension to the placement perhaps dislodging it? I always thought one of the reasons trad draws are loose is to limit the tension exerted through the system when pulling up rope for the next clip, etc.

Yes, that is why I don't have them on all quickdraws when TRADding. I do use them at times, mostly sport, but for TRAD I prefer quickdraws to be nice and floppy.

Oh, and the bike inner tubes work best, get small diameter tubes from road bikes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook