RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bluesloth

Jul 16, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite Camping Help!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be headed to yosemite next week and need to know where a good place to camp is (not too crowded, no reservations needed). Anyone know any spots that aren't too well known?

Any help is appreciated!

onelung

Jul 16, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite Camping Help! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On the side of any wall.

Have fun, wish I were there.

bill

epic_ed

Jul 16, 2004, 6:22 AM
Post #3 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You shouldn't have any problem finding a site in Camp 4. But I do like Bill's idea better.

gritstoner

Jul 16, 2004, 7:06 AM
Post #4 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aye, camp 4 is a peace of piss to find a site. we showed up unanounced and got a site very easily.
i got to admit any wall does seem a good idea though. a dam site cheeper.
have fun

bluesloth

Jul 17, 2004, 3:14 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks.

I've always heard camp 4 gets pretty filled up. Just not this time of year? We will probably camp there, but do you know of any places that there is vehicle parking in case a that option becomes necessary?

Partner eyecannon

Jul 17, 2004, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Isn't Camp 4 the ONLY walk-in camp?

epic_ed

Jul 17, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #7 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't Camp 4 the ONLY walk-in camp?

Exactly. Unless you are proficient in the ways of stealth car snoozing like many good seasoned-vetern Valley dirtbags, don't bother trying to sleep in your car. It's a sure way to get a short nights rest and a hefty fine from the Park Rangers. There are no spots in the Valley to legally camp in your vehicle.

ALSO -- please be very aware that the bears are in full pillage mode this season. Heed these warnings well:

- Don't leave any food in your vehicle. Anytime. Period. Use the bear boxes provided at your camp site. Also remove anything from your vehicle that smels enticing including, but not limited to sun screen, gum, food wrappers from the road trip in, shampoo, soap, deoderant, and trash.

- Don't leave anything in your vehicle the LOOKS enticing. Even empty coolers that have never had food in them can be enough to cause a bear to break in just to investigate. The best practice is to cover up anything in the car with blankets to make it look like nothing is really there. Remove all clutter and crap from the front seats.

- Make sure your insurance is paid up, because all the anal retentive preventative measures you can take still might not be enough to keep Yogi out of your ride. They have been ransacking vehicles for seemingly no reason except to investigate. One interesting take on their break-in patterns indicates that they might be messing with the vehicles furthest away from the crowd, or those on the fringe. If you can, park close in and around a lot of other vehicles. Theory is, their predator behavior to attack the weakest, least protected straggler my now apply to your chariot.

Have fun. And don't feed the bears your seat cushions.

Ed

cgranite

Jul 17, 2004, 6:29 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be aware! they have been cracking down. I spent 9 days there last month. You better get there in the morning and pay or take your chances. They are watching. :shock:

climballnight

Jul 30, 2004, 8:02 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a bit of a drive, but as a last resort there are places outside of the park that you can camp.

We've enjoyed a place called Big Sandy Campground on multiple occasions, but it is about 15min down a dirt road and 45min from the valley floor. It is ALWAYS empty though. Never had any problems with bears either (never ever so say the rangers) and I've only had to pay for the campsites once cause the rangers never came around any of the other trips.

It is the Sierra's so I'd still be cautious of bears though. Dunno, but if it helps...

- bret

mamabear

Jul 30, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few other campgrounds in the park that are first come first serve. None besides Camp 4 are in the valley, meaning a bit of a drive. Tamarak Flat, White Wolf, and Porcupine Flat are off of Hwy 120 (toward Toulumne Meadows). Bridal Veil Creek is off of Glacier Point rd. Some of these campgrounds are dry. No water, pit toilets.

Have a great time.

freeclimberchris

Aug 1, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camp 4 is a pit, but lots of climbers stay there so that would be a place to think about.

corporatedog

Aug 1, 2004, 3:15 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since the summer heat is on in the Valley - most of the Camp 4 creatures have migrated north to Tuolumne - so finding a campsite should be a little easier. If you get a site, you can park your car in the Camp 4 lot.

If you DON"T get a site - do not try to sleep in your car at either Camp 4 or the Lodge lot across the street - the boys in green have been NASTY about this.

If it comes to down to no other options (such as quickly dating a park employee for their free digs) - then you can usually hide your car in either the Ahwahnee or the Curry parking lot and go sleep in the woods. Nice hiding spots behind the hotel towards the Arches.

Not very legal - but if you don't have an open fire and scoot out of there before 700 am - you can usually get away with this one.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook