RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

barkernews

Jul 16, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

WX in Huaraz, Peru
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey. Random question.
What's the weather like in Huaraz this time of the year? What are the avg highs and lows... etc. I can't find it anywhere on the internet. :oops: I'm tryin' to pack!!!!

poa-alpina
Deleted

Jul 16, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Re: WX in Huaraz, Peru [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey barkernews.

i'm in lima and i don't know exactly what the weather will be like in huaraz but i guess it should be more or less sunny during the day and really cold a night. layers are definitely a good idea.

what i really wanted to say (off topic but still valuable information i think) is this:

DO NOT FLY WITH AEROPOSTAL! i flew with them from caracas to lima and almost everyones checked luggage was left behind in caracas. my luggage arrived two days later but i had to go to the airport every night at two in the morning because aeropostal doesn't have an office in lima and couldn't say what flight our luggage would come with.
and it wasn't just the flight i took... apparently this happens pretty much on every flight and i met some people who had been waiting for four days.

anyway, i'm rambling but my climbing gear was in my checked luggage - i was quite freaked out. now it's all good though.

good luck finding more precise weather information. if you have questions about lima let me know.

happy packing
olivia

mtnbkrxtrordnair

Jul 16, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Huaraz is unique in that the tempearture varies more from day to night, than from winter to summer. Expect about 70 for a dytime high, and no lower than about 50 at night. That's why houses and hotels in Huaraz have no heat - you don't need it, just a good blanket. I was there around this time of year for two weeks and there was very little rain. If you go higher than Huaraz at 10,000 ft. expect much colder temps, obviously. It's a cool place to hang, good beer, cheap food and lodging. You could go there for a month for like $ 1,000 including airfare (from NY). The view of the mouintains from town is incredible. Enjoy.

barkernews

Jul 17, 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #4 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!
Thanks guys!
Maybe we'll see you in Lima.
Yeah... I'm taking chacos and a down jacket.
Maybe I can put crampons on my sandles. :idea:

barkernews

Jul 26, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VAGAMUNDO KICKS ASS!!!!
Thanks for the advice.
Rained Tuesday... but it's hot and beautiful.

icekubes7

Jul 26, 2004, 3:46 AM
Post #6 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, just a random question here, I've been thinking about checking out Huarez sometime soon, but I haven't really been able to find that much good info about the climbing there. Could someone just kind of give me a general response to this? mostly trad or bouldering or sport, rock type, rock quality and quantity, big walls, one pitch??????? Is it worthy of a climbing trip, espcially if I mostly like trad climbing in warm weather???

epicsaga

Jul 30, 2004, 8:14 AM
Post #7 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Peru [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning a south/central america journey from los angeles. I've never been south of Mexico.
climbing will be part but not the focus of my trip.
I will also be diving, hiking, biking, rafting and visiting the galapagos.
any help with info, contact referrals, hosting, suggestions or showing me around those countries would be greatly appreciated.
Mi Espanol es muy poquito y malo!
gracias
please email me directly at lbclimber@yahoo.com
www.jameswasser.com

e_wire

Jul 30, 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been in Huaraz back in 2003 and heading back there in 2005. It's a cool mountain town... Temp in the area, this time of year is about 77 max and in the low 50's at night. This is for the town itself. If you head in the mountains, it's another story. Rule of thumb, deduct about 12 degrees by 1000 meters of elevation gain.

Huaraz also has many big wall climbs that have not been climbed. If you go there, ask for information about climbing the walls in the Vallunaraju valley. Huge walls... Some sport crags also exist. The following links might help you:

My last year trip report: http://www.ianbergeron.com
Sport climb crag info(Monterrey): http://www.chizang.net/...ta/achiang.peru.html

A good Huaraz shop for guides and information is MountainClimb under the Hostal Quintana. The young owners are very friendly, speak english and above all, are rock climbers.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook