Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
TR soloing w/ petzl microcender. Who else does this?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

climbin_moo

Jul 17, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1344 views)
Shortcut

TR soloing w/ petzl microcender. Who else does this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I got a petzl microcender today for TR soloing. I tried it out on some easy routes. In mysetup a use a quicklink (petzl speed) to attach the microcender to my belay loop. Does anyone use a similar setup? Any tips? Do you use a chest harness to have less slack in the system?

I plan on only doing routes that are around 30m so I can weight one strand with my backpack and use the other strand for backup knots.

Thanks
Moo

tedc

Jul 19, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Re: TR soloing w/ petzl microcender. Who else does this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I often use my rescusender to TR. I just use a locker. (I'm not too worried about crossloading because of the minimal forces.) I don't use a chest harness. The 6" of slack is minor.

ONE CAUTION:
Be sure that the little cable (that retains the cam) is acting like a spring and holding the cam against the rope and not AWAY from the rope. Once I rigged the rescucended on the rope and I believe I got that little cable with one twist in it. I climbed a bit and was giong to "sit" on the rope and tie another backup knot. As I sat, I realized that the cam was not engaging the rope. I manually engaged it, tied off on the second rope and when I de-rigged the rescucender I found that the little cable was not bent properly. I think this could actually cause the device to fail to lock off at all. It is not an issue if you pay attention to the rigging before you start up.

BE SAFE.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook