Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
New outdoor toproper buying cams, what sizes?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

farmerc

May 5, 2002, 10:11 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

New outdoor toproper buying cams, what sizes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am putting together a rack for outdoor toproping and my lack of a job has put some price restrictions on it. I am planning to buy only two rock empire SLCDs at first. What sizes do y'all reccomend? I primarily climb at chickies rock in Lancaster, PA, so any local climbers that could give me some educated advice on cam size that is specific to Lancaster rock would be much appreciated. Thanks.
~Chris

gumby

May 5, 2002, 10:42 PM
Post #2 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

New outdoor toproper buying cams, what sizes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris,

I would recommend that you buy a set of hexes or nuts first. For top roping that will be all you need to set up anchors for your TR.

For the price of 1 cam you can buy a set of nuts and for the price of the second cam you can buy a set of hexes.

happy crankin'

beyond_gravity

May 5, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Listen to gumby. I'm a trad climber and dont own ANY cams! You can almost allways place a nut or hex insted, it will just take longer to place. But when setting up a rope your arms aint gonna be burning out!

farmerc

May 5, 2002, 10:50 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good point, if I already had the hexs and stoppers would you recomend some sizes?

joemor

May 6, 2002, 12:03 AM
Post #5 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have your heart set on getting cams, go to the area in which u climb and try to work out the average size placement, even measure it, then you have your answer..... tho the average size may varie from climb to climb, crag to crag. also if i were u id buy camalots, a little more expensive but if you are only going to have two cams the camalots will give you more range due to their duel axel design than a similar size cam of non twin axel design. lastly....... buy the nuts and hexes first if u havent already..... as it will also be a basic trad rack, whereas the two cams will only be good as tr anchors. simple, 10 nuts 5-6 hexes vs two cams...... i know what id choose.

joe

quickclips

May 6, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would get some tricams, the're still active protection, but are much cheaper, and can be used for most top rope anchors.

dustinap
Deleted

May 6, 2002, 3:14 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

2-4 rigid friend[even though I own none] then you can't go wrong with .5-3 camalot.

gumby

May 7, 2002, 2:31 AM
Post #8 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plus you really should learn how to place passive gear before you start using cams. I know cams are the cool gear to have but your only cheating yourself out of the knowledge of placing gear.

Think of it this way: The better you are at placing passive gear, the better your cam placements will be!

Tri-cams are great for top rope anchors, they are however quite finicky to clean.

crackhabit

May 7, 2002, 5:17 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with all that was said. got passive if you havent already. i have bee nclimbing for 8 years and always try to avoid cams. their perpensity to walk must always be factored tho in TR there is less of a chance. i love setting passive pro. when it is in i know that it is bomber.

if you must buy cams and dont want to measure go form middle sizes. there are the most common. i have a #5 camalot and you know what? i have to look for placements just to use it. i like the #'s 1,2,3 of camalots. i use them the most. if i had to go with 2 i would say 1 and 2. to be safe, the suggestion of beats from the place that you climb is the way to go.

pmagistro

May 7, 2002, 5:25 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
Stick with passive pro for now, esp if you are on a budget. You can set up everything at chickies with medium nuts, big hexes, some long webbing slings and a few short slings.
As for cams, if you don't have enough experience to know what sizes you like and will use, then you probably don't need them now.
Just my two cents. CLimb safe!

climbracer

May 7, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, You could probably PM Climbinganne. She's been going there. I was at Chickies once, but it was loaded with Boy Scouts. If you want to Toprope at Chickies, there are plenty of trees on top to anchor with webbing. Go on the trail to the right to get up to set up your toprope.

Kathy

lightboi

May 19, 2002, 12:21 AM
Post #12 of 12 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At Devils Lake in wisc there are many stories of hikers, and the rare evil climber taking cams outta TOP ROPE anchors. Would you leave a fifty dollar bill in plain sight?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook