RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

bluetrout

Jul 22, 2004, 8:53 AM
Post #1 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Need Ice Tools and Warm Clothes Advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody have any recomendations for Ice Tools? Here is my question, are there any tools (axes) that are lighter and smaller for women? Also I find I get REALLY cold belaying my partner when we are doing ice. Last year I wore some expedition weight capaliene, windproof fleece, gortex pants and I was freezing. (I'm pretty low on much insulating body fat) Later I saw a gal with a nice set of down pants on, was wondering if I need to invest in a pair of those or is there something else just as warm for less money? I'd appreciate any feedback.

tavs

Jul 22, 2004, 3:32 PM
Post #2 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Re: Need Ice Tools and Warm Clothes Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In terms of tools, I've got the Petzl Aztars and I love them. They're light, have a relatively small grip that fits my hand better than many other tools, and have the right amount of curve to the shaft. The other female I generally ice climb with also has them and loves them.

As for staying warm...What are you wearing on top? Obviously things change for alpine-style stuff, but when cragging (when I tend to get colder from moving less) I always have a down jacket with me to wear while belaying, and in really cold conditions that's layered on top of: midweight capilene, exped. capilene, heavy fleece jacket, and sometimes my shell also. On bottom, I usually layer midweight cap, exped cap, and shell pants. Not sure how expensive down pants are, but I'm guessing very. Something else I have and love are a pair of synthetic puffball pants that Patagonia used to make years ago (the same stuff they use in their puffy down-like jackets)....they are AMAZING for warmth. Not sure if they still make them, but I'm someone makes something similar. I got 'em for $75 at a Patagonia outlet sale.

From what it sounds like in your post, you need more layers. A good layering option is a nice warm (down or fleece) vest--good extra layer without as much bulk. In general, I'd say focus on heavy layers on top to keep your core warm, and your legs should stay warmer because of that. I also swear by chemical heaters in my pockets and toes--had frostbite once and now I'm more susceptible to it. And of course a nice heavy hat.

katydid

Jul 22, 2004, 5:15 PM
Post #3 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tavs has great suggestions. As well as the Aztars, check out the Quarks. Both have small grips, and I find either one works well in terms of teeny-tiny hands (like mine) in big, bulky gloves.

To add to the layering thing, make sure you don't have any cotton on, and check into getting a pair of liners to wear under your gloves. And even if you don't feel like it, eat and hydrate a TON.

k.

dalguard

Jul 22, 2004, 5:20 PM
Post #4 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Remember that down won't stay warm when wet and that wet and ice climbing occasionally go together. I'd stick with the synthetics.

just_me

Jul 26, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #5 of 5 (548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before you buy tools, be sure to get a feel for the grips with your glove of choice on your hands. Tools will always feel different in the store if you do not have gloves on.

I second the Quarks. I like the small grips and the curve at the bottom of the grip that keeps your hand from slipping off.

Extra heater packs are always the bomb. I bought a case of them (for real) at Costco. I break them open right away so they are warm before I need them. An extra pair to stick in your shirt also helps.

Last but not least, be sure to dress/undress as needed. Don’t wear too much clothing and get sweaty on the approach. Bring extra clothes, but be sure to put them on and take them off as needed. Sweating up your under layer first thing in the morning by overdressing is a sure way to shiver the rest of the day.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook