Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coylec

Jul 22, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #26 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Re: Odd climbing devices/techniques seen in movies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
The best is all the clothing was made specially out of cotton for the movie......cause they didn't like the noise all that nylon made...lol!
--MH

Why does that not suprise me. I got a copy of VL as a present because "you like that climbing stuff". Haven't watched it ... though if I ever get really drunk ...

coylec

col

Jul 22, 2004, 3:12 AM
Post #27 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I to recieved a copy of vertical limit as a present, however i have watched it, and the opening scene in particular several times, including while drunk, and i am yet to figure out what they are doing.

If i recall correctly,

The Father is at the top, at some bolts, and is setting up something, i remember seeing a clove hitch and a grigri. but hes not belaying...

the son is in the middle, tied into the rope, but only that,

the daughter is at the bottom, PLACING gear, then begins to belay the brother, even though he was already half way up the pitch.

None of that makes sense to me at all....

the bolt gun in cliffhanger is definatly the best bit of gear ever!

grabngrip

Jul 22, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #28 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys forgot mission impossible, the first one, when tom cruise gets lowered to that room with all the crazy springs and pulley crap. not really climbing, kinda decending, all hollywood cool crap!
There was also a Kevin Bacon movie where he takes a bunch of kids up to the mountains and they do a little climbing with a million tricams but he only uses like 4

rjavery10

Jul 22, 2004, 5:29 AM
Post #29 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget about the opening scene of Vertical Limit where the main character is pulling an overhang "leading". The catch is that you can clearly see the top rope dropping in from above.

Vertical Limit sucks.

Now "K2" there's a climbing movie. I didn't really see anything in there that was out of line.

rjavery10

Jul 22, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #30 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am also sickened by the crevasse scene in Vertical Limit where they cut the dead guy open and put his guts in a plastic bag, send it up through a hole in the surface, and explode it with a flare.

Yet another reason not to go Mountianeering. . .at least not with anyone who has seen that movie.

skinnyjim

Jul 22, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #31 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I am going to watch vertical limit again to see exactly what was supposed to have been happening in the beginning.. :roll:

no_grain

Jul 22, 2004, 9:53 AM
Post #32 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is one more climbing movie:

Take it to the Limit

It's actually a movie about a rough city kid moving to the mountains and is saved by climbing. The opening scene includes 'repellin' down over a road at the mouth of a tunnel and stopping a greyhound bus. Later, they are climbing (as quoted by the actor), in actuality they are rapelling off of a water tower.

There is even a bouldering section, the climber is wearing gloves...
Finally, there is a very dramatic ending where there is a speed climbing comp. and a competitor gets bitten by a rattler halfway up the route.

A must see!!

thedesertnomad

Jul 23, 2004, 4:57 AM
Post #33 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone has ever seen the movie "Wrong Turn" (should be called Wrong Movie) It has an extremely brief (90 second) climbing scene in the opening that has one of the most confused climbing I have ever seen. Two climbers, no belay, looks like a figure 8 on the girl, edge rollers, two ropes.... who the hell knows.... if anyone has caught this award winning classic please try to explain the climbing set up :? :? :? :?

Partner tyify

Jul 23, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #34 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes all those movies do suck for refernce...however they make climbing look unduely risky keeping all the weekend warriors from trying it loving it and hogging the space at the crags :lol: . The only good climbing movie I've seen is Into the Void

jerrygarcia

Jul 23, 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #35 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
..however they make climbing look unduely risky keeping all the weekend warriors from trying it loving it and hogging the space at the crags

Maybe in alaska this hasn't happened, but in the lower 48..........

Partner holdplease2

Jul 23, 2004, 7:55 AM
Post #36 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chris!

I will watch your Vertical Limit video with you because I llllove it! Its the greatest thing ever.

My favorite part is after Chris cuts his father loose, they pan to a bird circling overhead...peacefully...

You'll just have to see it.

-Kate.

saskclimber

Jul 23, 2004, 8:44 AM
Post #37 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To go the other way around, I was watching "Good Eats" on the Food Network.
OMG!! Somebody else that watches Good Eats too!!

rych

Jul 23, 2004, 9:44 AM
Post #38 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rescue scene at the beginning of Cliffhanger sets the whole movie up as S#!T when the aluminum buckle just happens to bend and then tear under a bodyweight loading! :shock: I don't understand why Black Diamond would want this product placement even if it did say (in the last moment of the closing credits) that the harness was modified (duh!).

Good part of the film is that Sly's climbing double was the legendary Wolfgang Gullich and he free-solos some crazy stuff at the start. I heard he got paid royally for doing it (though I doubt as much as Sly), and he died before the movie came out, it's dedicated to him at the end.

honeybee

Jul 23, 2004, 11:50 AM
Post #39 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there was a "horror" film out recently, gonna bug me coz I can't remember the name, (can't believe I'm actually admitting to watching it even. total rubbish)

film starts with a couple climbing, perfect end to a climb, gets eaten by cannibals. now that would be a bummer topout

mastheadmike

Jul 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #40 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nostalgia wrote:

In reply to:
To go the other way around, I was watching "Good Eats" on the Food Network.

I am surpirsed as well, the only two forums I ever frequent on the 'net is RC.com and the GoodEats Forum on the food network website. They are the only ones WORTH going to.

Oh, but to add to the post, not really a movie and I borrowed it from a post I did pretty much right before I found this one, but it fits:
There was a great MacGyver episode where he "solo" climbed a cliff, to save an eagle, using old dog leashes as draws, tent stakes as pitons and some magical belay device/system that alowed him to go out as if on lead, take a fall, regain his positioning and get slack to keep moving (on a roof nonetheless!), oh and then the old school body rapel to get back down: CLASSIC. I loved that episode. I'm not suggesting anyone do that but the way I see it, if it was on TV then it has to be true and safe...right?

Partner packclimber

Jul 23, 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #41 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the scene in k2 where the guy just climbs up the side of a building to see a girl. If one of us did that w/o permission you know we would be in jail, but cool scene none the less

markc

Jul 23, 2004, 2:09 PM
Post #42 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think I am going to watch vertical limit again to see exactly what was supposed to have been happening in the beginning.. :roll:

I've watched it multiple times, and I still don't have a clue. It's utterly incomprehensible.

The best part of the scene (of which col's analysis seems sound) is the 2 vs. three cam debate. The father is at the highest point, fiddling with gear. The son is mid-pitch, but the father isn't belaying. The daughter is down low, theoretically at their last anchor. I forgot she was playing with gear. What's up with that?

The son jokingly yells up to the father, "Dad, she only has two cams in!" The dad lectures the need for three cams (and apparently no other type of protection). If the dad or brother already climbed past her, they would have been able to inspect the anchor at that point. If she hadn't led to that high point, the anchor must have been built by one of them. Confusing stuff. Vertical Limit may be the best bad climbing movie ever.

qwert

Jul 23, 2004, 4:27 PM
Post #43 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is another bolt-gun type device in Star Trek, I think voyager.
I think it was in the episode where they went into an old mine on an uninhabited planet, to find dilizium or how its called, and B'elana went er.. wild, since she had to have sex, because she was infected by an vulcanian or something.
as you see, the episode was strange as it could be, and the strangest thing was the bolt gun.
to get into the mine, they had to rappel, and for this purpose they had this gun. it was so cool :lol: :lol:
there are those 24st century guys, with all there future stuff, and they have this gun, all futury and blinkin, place it on the rock and bam, release the trigger. Next scene: theres somthing in the rock. its all blinkin future style. the camera zooms in, and its an 1969 or something BD angle, with two blinking LEDs glued on :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And they are going faster than the light? :shock:

qwert

kevindubrau

Jul 23, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #44 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The rescue scene at the beginning of Cliffhanger sets the whole movie up as S#!T when the aluminum buckle just happens to bend and then tear under a bodyweight loading! :shock: I don't understand why Black Diamond would want this product placement even if it did say (in the last moment of the closing credits) that the harness was modified (duh!).

Didn't BD sue about this?

scientiffikk

Jul 23, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #45 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best climbing scene I have seen in a movie is the one in Deliverance where Voit's character has to climb the river bluff to get there before the killer. It's good because it's not filled with magic climbing stuff, just a non-climbing, out of shape man soloing to save his life. It's also good when he tries to descend with the body and the rope breaks halfway down.

Partner nostalgia

Jul 23, 2004, 5:12 PM
Post #46 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OMG!! Somebody else that watches Good Eats too!!

You kidding?? AB is DA MAN!

His cookbook rocks, too.

-Joe

lemmon_squeezer

Jul 23, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #47 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno the whole "climbing with nitro strapped to our backs" seemed like the most brilliant climbing idea ever. So what happens when after they blow the crevasse open they get buried by another avalanche? Or am I wrong in supposing that a large scale explosion on Everest would trigger an avalanche?

mackavus

Jul 23, 2004, 6:00 PM
Post #48 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this thread was originally about strange devices/methods, but another cool scene I always liked was at the end of Bladerunner when Harrison Ford is soloing/buildering high up on top of that building when his hands are all frigged and he can only use two fingers. That is a fave.

dredsovrn

Jul 23, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #49 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess this would come under the heading of technique, and is not from a movie. I remember a PC game years ago that was called Prince of Persia. This guy could jump across a 20' pit and grab the ledge on the other side and stick it. In fact, he could fall 50' and grab a ledge and hold on. That must have been some training program he was on.

markc

Jul 23, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #50 of 67 (7529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know this thread was originally about strange devices/methods...

I think all of these scenes feature "odd climbing techniques," so we haven't drifted too far yet.

mark

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook