Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

seanbon15

Apr 28, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Maine?!!?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im going to the University of Maine next year and was wondering what good spots there were to climb around there, indoors and outdoors. Im aware they have an outing club, but any other information you can add would help. Thanks

mother_sheep

Apr 28, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #2 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Re: Maine?!!? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GO BLACK BEARS!

YAY ALPHA PHI!

Okay. . .sorry. I'm of no help! I went to UM way before I started climbing.

flexdex

Apr 28, 2004, 2:57 PM
Post #3 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived in the area for 15 years and went to Umaine. I fortunatley started climbing about 45 min from Umaine when I was 16.

It would be hard to give you directions to places ... to tell you the truth I did not know names of climbs or crags ... I have had a 4 year lapse in climbing and just started again... I rember Eagles Bluff was great. But as far as Umaine is concerned there is a great indoor wall they just reopened...lots of bouldering practice. And it is free for Umaine students. The outing club that runs it will be able to show you local stuff...

There is also a climbing store right on Main St. in Orono called "Alpenglow"
They know thier stuff and run trips.

If you get to it, I recomend a winter decent of Katahdin (SP). Great stuff.

agilbert

May 15, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #4 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in Maine is a little limited. Probably the best gym would be Portland Rock Gym on Marginal Way in Portland. As for climbing outdoors there isn't much except for bouldering (Portland Headlight, Bradberry State Park, etc...) New Hampshire is unquestionably the closest place to find any quality sport or trad routes. Pick up a thick climbing volume for either the entire country or just New England to know all the little spots, but be prepared to trek between 2-4 hours for most good trips.

tenacity

May 15, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #5 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will also be going to UMaine next year for grad school. I have been living in the area during summers for my entire life however, and I can highly recommend the Clifton areas (Eagle Bluff, Fletcher's Bluff, Park's Pond and Chick Hill). Good granite face routes, some bolted, some trad, some mixed. Some are even multi (2-3) pitch.

It's one of my favorite places to go, and it's only 30 minutes or so from Orono. There's also lots of great stuff in Acadia (Otter Cliffs, etc.), but it's slightly farther away.

Look me up if you need a partner.

sujones65

May 16, 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #6 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

definately make the trip to Acadia to climb at Otter Cliffs. It's a really beautiful setting and it's worth the trip. There are also some more substantial trad climbs on the Precepice and some other areas withing the park...you can buy a guide at Cadillac Mountain Sports which will help you make the most or your time there! AND..I'll be there this summer so if you ever want to climb or need a place to stay, get in touch!

dorkmaster

May 16, 2004, 1:00 PM
Post #7 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to Maine!
The Clifton Crags are a short ways away from the college. Go to the store alpenglow (as suggested earlier) and talk to John Tiereny. Purchase the guide book titled "Rock Climbers Guide to the Clifton Crags" it has over 200 routes ranging from like 5.3 to 5.13. Clifton is probably the most accesable place from the college for outdoor rock. UMO has an indoor climbing wall in the big white barn across from the Performaning Arts Center. Acadia is about 2 hours (i think) from UMO.
Have fun, and hope to see you at the crags!!! :D

sujones65

May 16, 2004, 3:10 PM
Post #8 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acadia is only one hour from UMO..maybe a tad longer but not two hours

dorkmaster

May 16, 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #9 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh okay, sorry, thanks for correcting me.

cfnubbler

May 28, 2004, 8:10 PM
Post #10 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing in Maine is a little limited.

Don't listen to this nonsense. Maine has tons of superb climbing. As mentioned, Acadia and Clifton are both great and close to where you'll be.

Farther away, but totally worthy, Baxter State Park has excellent adventure trad routes. Shagg Crag has fantastic steep sport routes. Wild River (OK, it's in NH, but only just) has more great climbing. Camden has decent climbing. And these are just a few reasonably well known areas with published route info. With a bit of digging, you'll find that there are tons more good crags in Maine.

This doesn't even take in to consideration the worldclass climbing in and around N. Conway, NH, which is an easy weekend trip away.

The guy posting above should drag his @ss out of the MRG and look around! Is it Yosemite? No, but it ain't bad.

-Nubbler

maineman

Jul 29, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #11 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you like less-than-vertical face climbing you're in for a treat. Clifton offers some of the finest granite face climbing to be found on the East Coast!

mother_sheep

Jul 29, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #12 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to Acadia, you'll drive right by my old house. :-( It's on rte 1 just next to Ellsworth Giant Sub and Blueberry Hill. Man am I ever homesick. Seems to always happen this time of year.

Once again, I'm no help.

jumaringjeff

Jul 29, 2004, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you going to UMO? Watch out for all the washed-up Maine highschool sports stars that become miserable drunks and potheads by the end of their first semester.

:lol:

cantdog

Jul 29, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #14 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet, a load of maine folks. I'll be finishing up my last year at Colby this fall, so I'll be an hour south of you guys. I'll be looking for some climbing partners for the fall, since I've never climbed in maine. For climbing knowledge I can exchange ski knowledge.

You guys hit saddleback or the loaf much?

jumaringjeff

Jul 29, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #15 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cantdog, I grew up in Waterville. Ahhh the memories of partying with the Colby folk. Stale beer, cheap reefer, and easy women. Good times.....

illclimbthat

Jul 30, 2004, 9:30 PM
Post #16 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i go to school in maine too at Bowdoin. It seems like people covered most of the good places in the area (besides Shag's crag which is sooo cool). One thing I'd say is that as a student you're in maine from about september to may. September and october are great for climbing, but by november it's already rainy and cold. april is a bit sketchy and may isn't bad but there are A LOT of mosquitos. it's such a short season for climbing rocks so take advantage of the fall! since school was just starting and i was but a wee freshman, i didn't get to climb much and then when i started having time, the season was basically over.

dorkmaster

Jul 30, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #17 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you go to Acadia, you'll drive right by my old house. It's on rte 1 just next to Ellsworth Giant Sub and Blueberry Hill. Man am I ever homesick. Seems to always happen this time of year.
I think I've seen that house...

thewreckage

Aug 1, 2004, 4:15 AM
Post #18 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Looking for knowledge. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am looking for help. This person "Nabbler" seems to have the most informed and unbiased opinions of climbing in Maine. I started climbing 4 months ago and have been to the Clifton area and loved it. I live in Portland and am not a fan of the gym climbing scene as it is not pure at all really. As far as additude goes mostly and also, obviously, it's fake "rock". So what i am looking to find out is where there is outdoor climbing within, say, 1 hours drive maximum. Day trip stuff. I know about Portland Head Light. Lot's of pads needed if bouldering. I am mostly climbing by myself when around home. I also went to Bradbury Mountain State Park in Pownal and found just a small ammount of bouldering (and please, correct me if i am wrong on these things). Is there much else around the Portland area? I also was informed of some cliffs in Waterboro on route 35 by a non-climber. I drove by them one day and saw that there were indeed some nice cliffs and was wondering if anyone knew if they were established or if i could get some info on them. I am trying to get a friend from Boston to come up and check them out with me and would like to know anything there is to know before i go. Thanks for whatever you've got to share.
-Derek

haroldhal

Aug 5, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #19 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also grew up in Maine (Belfast) and climbed extensively in Maine. Good advice talking to John Tierney of Alpenglow. The school year is the best time to climb in Maine. I have climbed at Fletcher's Bluff into January as long as you can drive the road or know someone with a snowmachine. Although it was cold temps, at the base of the cliff it was t-shirt weather. I find the summer to be the worst for climbing in Maine with all the humidity and bugs.
The directions I got the first time to Fletchers was to drive out route 9 past Clifton and turn left on a dirt road after a long left curve with a guardrail. Cross over the wooden bridge and drive until you see the cliff on the right. We made it. (I think that the road is "9-13")

haroldhal

Aug 5, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #20 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also grew up in Maine (Belfast) and climbed extensively in Maine. Good advice talking to John Tierney of Alpenglow. The school year is the best time to climb in Maine. I have climbed at Fletcher's Bluff into January as long as you can drive the road or know someone with a snowmachine. Although it was cold temps, at the base of the cliff it was t-shirt weather. I find the summer to be the worst for climbing in Maine with all the humidity and bugs.
The directions I got the first time to Fletchers was to drive out route 9 past Clifton and turn left on a dirt road after a long left curve with a guardrail. Cross over the wooden bridge and drive until you see the cliff on the right. We made it. (I think that the road is "9-13")

dsafanda

Aug 5, 2004, 6:47 PM
Post #21 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Even thought I went to Bowdoin way back when, I don't know much about the climbing scene in Maine. However, I recently designed a web site for a Maine guide service. Just taking a look their site, you get the idea that there is some fantastic trad climbing in Maine. I need to make it back to the east coast one day and check it out.

http://www.acadiaclimbing.com

ikefromla

Aug 5, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #22 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ya'll are making me wanna move to maine.

flexdex

Aug 5, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #23 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense ... but coming from LA HOW COULD you not want to move to MAINE..."It's the way Life Should BE"

I am jsut not a city guy...I am also not a toothless redneck barfighting type...finding the lesser of 2 evils.

cantdog

Sep 7, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #24 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just moved on back up, I'm in waterville. If anyone is hitting acadia or elsewhere this week...let me know. I havent climbed up here before.

sarcat

Sep 7, 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #25 of 42 (9737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Took the wife and climbed all over Arcadia back in June. We loved it. Since I like the ocean so much I might even trade Maine for UT. Well.... maybe not.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook