RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

kozzy

Jul 30, 2004, 4:23 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Best Book on Sport Climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been climbing for a little over 2 years now. I've only done top rope so far cause of $$ issues. But I can affored the extra gear now and I have an seasoned climber to take me out with him...but I want to read up on sport climbing befor we go out, just so I have a better base of knowlege, I've been decideing between two books by John Long, "sport climbing" and "Clip and Go". Is one of these better than the other? Or is there a differant book that you think would be more helpfull?

overlord

Jul 30, 2004, 7:25 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Book on Sport Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you mean a book that theaches you knots and stuff, not a trainig book, right???

i dont know any for sport climbing, sorry to say. maybe "how to build anchors" or something would be more helpfull. you know how to clip draws, dont you???

flashsixteen

Jul 30, 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, although I generally think Overlord is a good poster, I have to disagree with him on this one. I actually have no idea what book to get, but I am sure that John Long's is going be great because every other book of his is good so that would be my vote, but what overlord failed to mention was stuff like backclipping and direction of the gate as you climb. There isn't too much to worry about, but there are some fatal issues (i.e backclipping) so I would get the book just to read through it. You can get most of the information about stuff like that here:

http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips.htm

Good website to review fundamentals and why we do things. Good Luck

mackavus

Jul 30, 2004, 1:23 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would honestly just get FOTH or How to rock climb. While FOTH is going to have a ton of info that you dont really need for sport... the latest edition does has all the sport topics covered, and you will (with the exception of a few) probably not need to get another climbing book for a long time. How to Rock Climb is almost as good, not as comprehensive but on certain topics... it goes into depth.

I could be wrong on this though, as I have never read Sport Climbing.

ottoman

Jul 30, 2004, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's the book that teaches you to Trad climb!!!

overlord

Jul 30, 2004, 2:03 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i meand backclipping and stuff when i said if he knew how to clip :wink:

and if he doesnt, he can read tons of stuff here. its not tha big of an issue.

also, IMHO a book about sport climbing techniques will be deadly boring or really short. therell be a description of common holds, footwear, harnesses, rope and knots, chalk, a short chapter of "how to clip bolts", another on "how to rig a anchor with bolts and slings and biners" and thats it. i KNOW becasue the sport climbing section of our mountaneering organization published one for its rockclimbing class (required if you want to get into the class that certifies you to establish sport routes, wich in turn enables you to get free bolts and anchors) and its very short (about 60 pages), boring and doesnt teach you a thing. the only good part about it is the part on injuries that was written by martina cufar.

IMHO a good general climbing book would be far better. FOTH sounds like a great book (from the reviews i read) and i reccomend you get it or something similar.

andy_reagan

Jul 30, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

while those book do cover some of the same ground I would go ahead and get both and read them as a primer to going out with someone experienced. Clip and Go is more technical rope tips oriented while Sport Climbing is more body technique oriented. Together they make pretty good primer material for sport climbing. As always with John Long's style they are incredibly fast reads and entertaining to boot. I wouldn't suggest buying Clip and Go, its so short, its great to read in the book store with your $2.95 coffee. :lol:

timstich

Jul 30, 2004, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say "Clip and Go" and "Betty And The Silver Spider (Doktor Krank Comics)" would both be good. I bought a copy of "Clip and Go" for some climber noobs. It's great for sticking to the subject of sport and not getting over the way into anchor building and so on. FOTH is more of a trad/alpine tome.

jt512

Jul 30, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been climbing for a little over 2 years now. I've only done top rope so far cause of $$ issues. But I can affored the extra gear now and I have an seasoned climber to take me out with him...but I want to read up on sport climbing befor we go out, just so I have a better base of knowlege, I've been decideing between two books by John Long, "sport climbing" and "Clip and Go". Is one of these better than the other? Or is there a differant book that you think would be more helpfull?

Why read just one book? Read everything you can on the subject. Every book you pick up will teach you something new. That said, my recommendation for a first book to read would be Climbing: From Gym to Crag by Lewis and Cauthorn.

-Jay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook