Premier Sponsor:

cornelius57

Aug 1, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #1 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

OLN is Stupid
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like a lot of the shows on the Outdoor Life Network, but they obviously have some people putting together some of the shows that don't really have any idea what they are talking about. Did anyone see the countdown thing about women in the outdoors? They're talking about Steph Davis and they said that she set a record for free-soloing El Capitan, which she obviously didn't do and then right after that they show her saying that a lot of people get confused about free climbing and free soloing, and she explains the difference between the two. Why didn't the people who put the show together listen to that.

haveaniceday

Aug 1, 2004, 7:53 AM
Post #2 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: OLN is Stupid [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does it get any better than their constant coverage of bass fishing and big game hunting? :roll:

cgailey

Aug 1, 2004, 8:21 AM
Post #3 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what...what's wrong with bass fishing? don't you guys like that? :lol:

keinangst

Aug 1, 2004, 2:32 PM
Post #4 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clymbism

b_fost

Aug 1, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the cyclysm is upon us

ihuang

Aug 1, 2004, 4:33 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought it was funny that they interviewed Lynn Hill for advice on climbing Everst. I must be missing something.

climbersoze

Aug 1, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OLN is better than any other daytime or primetime crap anyway. I personally was all over it during the Tour de Lance.... who cares if it is mostly hunting or fishing otherwise. And I get a kick out of the shows that feature "extreme sports" or "extreme athletes". Of course I also own my very own copy of Vertical Limit.

I would rather watch a bad climbing movie than a good chick flick anyday... same goes for TV. Climbing is not 15 second clips to keep you interested - TV is.

climbersoze

Aug 1, 2004, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I thought it was funny that they interviewed Lynn Hill for advice on climbing Everst. I must be missing something.

Yeah, I would rather see someone interview Tom Cruise for insight on how to climb desert towers.

/irritated

climballnight

Aug 1, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OLN is better than any other daytime or primetime crap anyway.

Anyone ever watch The Outdoor Channel? It's not an option with my cable company, but I'd like to hear how it compares if anybody's seen it.

In reply to:
I would rather watch a bad climbing movie than a good chick flick anyday...

Found a new one...well actually an old one. We watched a movie called Storm and Sorrow the other night. I found the beginning of it quit intriguing with all the 1970's pre-ATC munter hitches etc. ...actually based on a true story...so the movie says.

- bret

musicman

Aug 1, 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
They're talking about Steph Davis and they said that she set a record for free-soloing El Capitan, which she obviously didn't do and then right after that they show her saying that a lot of people get confused about free climbing and free soloing, and she explains the difference between the two. Why didn't the people who put the show together listen to that.

hahaha, thats exactly what i thought when i saw it!

krestkid

Aug 1, 2004, 11:51 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like OLN but I hate The Outdoor Channel...just something about seeing Ted Nugent hunting that is not cool. We get The Outdoor Channel but not OLN, grr!

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 2, 2004, 1:24 AM
Post #12 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

amber_chk moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amber_chk moved this thread from General to Community.

pinktricam

Aug 2, 2004, 1:47 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OLN is better than any other daytime or primetime crap anyway. I personally was all over it during the Tour de Lance....

Didn't you find it just a little disappointing that, after weeks of watching the TdF on OLN, they didn't/couldn't even show Lance crossing the finish line on the Champs d'Elyse!?! Poor production if you ask me!

jpearl

Aug 2, 2004, 2:24 AM
Post #14 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OLN didn't catch Lance crossing the final line on the last lap of the Champs Elysees, but they did show him charging under the 1K to go banner where they did announce him as having at that point being the official winner. After that, all of the cameras fixated onto the final sprint, the most prestigious in all of cycling, to watch Tom Boonen take out Robbie Mcgewan, Baden Cooke, Jean-Patrick Nazons, and Erik Zabel for his second stage win of the Tour overall. Lance actually choose to sit out the ferocious and dangerous sprint and play it safe lest he get caught up in the kind of crash similar to 1991 that slammed Djamalodine Abdujaparov into the ground, fence, air, and back to the ground over and over again for a couple of times. Lance actually conceded 15 seconds to Andreas Kloden by doing that, showing even in the last kilometre of the Tour why he is the best bike rider in the world.

petsfed

Aug 2, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #15 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
OLN is better than any other daytime or primetime crap anyway.

Anyone ever watch The Outdoor Channel? It's not an option with my cable company, but I'd like to hear how it compares if anybody's seen it.

In reply to:
I would rather watch a bad climbing movie than a good chick flick anyday...

Found a new one...well actually an old one. We watched a movie called Storm and Sorrow the other night. I found the beginning of it quit intriguing with all the 1970's pre-ATC munter hitches etc. ...actually based on a true story...so the movie says.

- bret

Probably based off of Storm and Sorrow In the High Pamir. One and the same (sort of). Has an interesting cast, including Jeff Lowe, John Roskelley, Peter Schoening, Al Steck. Bad year to be in the Pamirs. 15 dead in 3 weeks time. A lot of arrogance and poor decision making, coupled with some bad luck. Kind of a Cold War Into Thin Air. Lots of old school stuff going on there.

climballnight

Aug 2, 2004, 7:44 AM
Post #16 of 16 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Probably based off of Storm and Sorrow In the High Pamir.

Yeah that's the one!..

In reply to:
Kind of a Cold War Into Thin Air.

Yup, exactly. :lol:

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook