Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Anyone use this product for anti-stink factor?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

climb14er

Aug 6, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Anyone use this product for anti-stink factor?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The Patagonia Strider T's that I use are great for wicking...however, the stink factor is outrageous. And I'm not a smelly person

Supposedly this product with the VisaEndurance and silver impregnated fabric wicks and eliminates the stink.

Suggestions?

Terramar® Body Sensors® Ec2® Qwik-Dri™ Transport
Micro-Mesh Series With VisaEndurance™
Innovative products from Terramar®.
The VisaEndurance™ technology, by Milliken, eliminates 99.9% of odor causing bacteria for the life of the garment.
Bi-component micro-mesh fabric construction allows for maximum breathability and the EC2® electrostatic comfort control process by Terramar® lifts moisture molecules away from the body for rapid evaporation.
Quick-drying, perfect for travel or on the trail.
Filament and spun polyester yarn combination provides the added advantage of stay-dry comfort and low pill performance.
Import.

chalked4dyno

Aug 6, 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone use this product for anti-stink factor? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never owned any fancy moisture-wicking stuff, but I think the pit-stink is a common part of the climbing experience. We all know the feeling: it's the end of the day, you reach up for that litte hold, turn your head...and BANG! The funk slaps you in the face!

edited for spelling :oops:

a_scender

Aug 6, 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure what "product" you are talking about, but I did see an ad for Patagonia recently and it said the reason the garments stink so bad is because the anti-stink stuff is bad for the environment so they don't use it. That's basically what it said anyway. But yeah, the shirts do stink extra bad, but so do other wicking poly-type shirts that I've tried.

david.yount
Deleted

Aug 7, 2004, 3:02 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The silver fiber technology has been around nearly a decade, and it works very very well; stops stink. Most all of the major sport clothing retailers has a garment with this technology.

I didn't know about the environmental concerns; if true, that's too bad.

david yount

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 7, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what kind of sissy things are you talking about????anti-smell?????like what the hell is up with that????people don't like to get smelling and dirty......its what being a dirt bag is all about.....i personaly think its all about poor people geting sucked into this ECO, Coastmountain Sports trendy product marketing.....i'm allf or hightech gear, but i'm refering this to framing and suspection of backapcks, and cool cams, and bomber proof stuff that will outlast me...

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 7, 2004, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i love wicking shirts...but i'm a dirtbag....i think that silver fabric stuff belongs in my black suites and not in climbing

pawilkes

Aug 7, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i recently got a Mountain Hardware shirt that had ZeO2 (Zelenium Oxide i believe) somehow incorporated into the shirt for stink suppression. as i understand it this (and presumably silver) prevent the growth of bacteria which is what gets smelly. natural wool, while expensive, also works surprisingly well at not getting stinky. i wore an Icebreaker T (merino wool, NZ company distributed in the US by Gramici) on a month long NOLS mountaineering course and at the end i definately smelled but not nearly as bad as the poly-pro contingent on the trip. its times where you only have one t shirt for an extended period that stink suppressants are worth their extra costs.

climb14er

Aug 7, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been using the Fox River X-Static liner socks for lining protection the past three years and it also has the silver impregnation that definitely cuts down on the stink factor in feet.

www.visaendurance.com

Some of us began our climbing in the days of cotton and wool and the poly blends have definitely helped in the wicking to a great degree.

The Patagonia Strider T's that I wear have been fabulous for wicking and for overall comfort. However after a few days, and even after one long day of hard climbing, whew! Not all of us are dirt bag climbers nor do many of us want to go walking around with clothes that reek as a 'badge of honor' to prove that we've tough climbers.

Personally, I deal with the stink like many of us do. However, if there are alternatives, then I'm all open to trying the newer wicking fabrics that don't reek as bad.

That's where the visaendurance fabric got my attention like the older Mountain Hardward ZeO2 fabric which does work to some extent.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook