RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

pico23

Aug 7, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

why film sucks!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

a rant is in order. my wife and I were paddling this weekend and after a long slog up a beaver dam and blowdown choked outlet we made it to a spot that just happened to have a photo i've been visualizing in my mind throughout paddling this summer.

So, the light sucked when we got there but I wasted a few shots just fooling around and it just happened this spot was actually perfectly accessable by car. I decided we'd hit it on the way home today in the early evening light.

So, tonight we arrive there at around 7pm. It's drizzling a little but it stops. the light wasn't perfect but better than the previous day and there wasn't any wind which was a big plus.

I have one roll of Elite Chrome left and I decide to get down into the water and shoot. I spend an hour getting eaten by mosquitos while standing in knee deep water as I carefully compose, focus, check DOF, and expose. I do this 24 times at various focal lengths using a 24, 50, and 135mm lens over about an hours time. Overall I took about 8 bracketed shots.

I hit the rewind release button but decide not to rewind in in the water because I've already taken enough risk with my gear and at this point I'm ready to go. Simple I say, I'll just rewind when I get in the car.

Oooops...I get back in the car after loading everything back up and for whatever reason I just pull the film cover release, before rewinding, and my whole roll is ruined in an instant.

My heart just sank as I saw the film in the camera. Well, there is always next year.

I guess it's not really the films fault but rather my own ineptitude.

Just thought I'd share my stupidity.

tchamber

Aug 7, 2004, 6:36 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Re: why film sucks!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd like to say that you were an idiot and how could anyone ever forget to rewind the film before opening the chamber.... but I've done it... more than once... probably more than a dozen times... every time it sucks. Glad to hear your equipment made it through the venture, that's the important part... could have tipped the tripod in the water, would have been much worse... not much consolation, but... well, sorry man...

Partner coldclimb

Aug 7, 2004, 7:41 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ooooh man, that's gotta suck. :( I personally wouldn't want to live without my digital. It would be devastating to lose my pics though, and would really suck to lose just one really good one like that. I feel sorry for you.

bauerbrian

Aug 7, 2004, 10:49 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a Nikon D100!

veilneb

Aug 7, 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why was the whole roll ruined? If you opened the cover, you should have lost one shot plus one or two previous shots but the rest should have been all right and were salvagable.

tradmanclimbs

Aug 7, 2004, 12:12 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a working pro and I have to tell you that if you shoot film long enough you WILL open the back o the camera. It sucks and is also realy embaresing when it happens on the job. Fourtunatly the bosses I had while shooting film had seen it all before so usualy it was not a fireing offense :shock: Usualy you only lose about 6 frames but it can be worse. depends on how bright it is and how fast you get the back closed again. Now that I am digital I suppose it is possible to lose a heck of a lot more than 1 roll :shock:

csoles

Aug 7, 2004, 4:12 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry, there are just as many ways to screw up digital ;-) Indeed, the results of a digi disaster can be far worse...loose a gig of data and it's 3 rolls of film at once! Don't believe for a second that it can't happen -- never buy 4 gig cards. And dust is a problem a thousand times worse for most DSLRs (not mine). Film still has major advantages but it's slowly losing ground.

ratstar

Aug 7, 2004, 4:54 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats why my nikon is great as you take pics it rewinds them into the canister. so maybe half a frame would have been gone but not a full shot. and deinately not a whole roll.

pico23

Aug 8, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the encouragement. oddly, i've been lucky. i shoot a lot of stuff with my manual gear (especially when backpacking or paddling) and i've probably only done this less than 2 times in 10 years. usually if anything goes wrong though it's just a roll of snapshots or at best glorified snapshots. it sucks when it was planned so well and so much time was spent. not the end of the world though and i'm sure it won't happen again for a long time, hopefully till film is completely dead.

in anycase, i've often wondered what happens when when of those 4 Gig micro drives goes bad with 10-20 rolls on it. and how easy is it to accidentally format the drive. thats why i tend to stick to 128-512 cards for my digital.

Btw, do those image recovery tools work for the cards? i've seen some stuff that claims to recover a formatted drive or a deleted file but am a little skeptical.

tankgrl

Aug 19, 2004, 5:39 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time you get a camera get one that works the opposite way. My camera, when loading the film, unloads all the film to the inside of the camera. When I take a picture that shot goes back into the cannister. This way if something happens I can always save the shots I already took.

And don't sweat too much about it...it happens to all of us.

overlord

Aug 19, 2004, 5:53 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ ditto that.

i think cannon eos series has that feature. and probably nikons too.

pico23

Aug 21, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
^^^^ ditto that.

i think cannon eos series has that feature. and probably nikons too.

believe it or not your $2.50 disposable works the exact same way.

matttracyg

Sep 13, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some 35mm cameras will pull all the film out of the cassette and then expose an image and suck it back into the cassette, thus rewinding as it goes.
120/220 film essentiall does the same thing so that when you've shot the last image, it's already rewound.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook