Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bouldering at Roger's Rock?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jimmy

Aug 9, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #1 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering at Roger's Rock?  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Adirondack_park: Roger_s_Rock)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any beta on the bouldering scene here? I've heard there is some but I know nothing more.

I'll be staying at the camp ground this weekend and would like to check it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ben87

Aug 9, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #2 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering at Roger's Rock? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed at Rogers rock yesterday. It didn't look to me like there would a much opportunity for bouldering, at least around the main face. Most of the face is pretty slabby, and there would be no good landing areas for bouldering... many falls would result in a painful tumble, potentially down into the water. I guess you could do some low traverses and mess around a little in places where there was a littel bit of a landing zone.

But maybe there's some area of the rock that I didn't notice -- also there is a second face, closer to the campground that I didn't get a close look. only one route has been put up on that section.

But if you're down for some routes -- this area is really beautiful and really fun.

ben87

Aug 9, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But, from an old thread:

"There is some good bouldering near the dock and up in the woods near the other cliff visible left of Roger's. The last bolted route on the ri is not to be missed
~Rob H"

fireclimber

Aug 9, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #4 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ouch bouldering on rogers could be painfull, i only climbed there one day ????? I checked my Aderondack book, it shows no bouldering

minjin

Aug 9, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's some entertaining overwater bouldering all along the base of the main slab, which is a nice cooldown after hitting the 'wall' on a midsummer's day.

jimmy

Aug 9, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #6 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

latest information tells me the bouldering is at the northern most part of the camp ground past a small parking lot.

ring a bell? anyone?

ben87

Aug 10, 2004, 4:14 PM
Post #7 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well that aligns with what "roger H" says in that old post--- the less climbed "second cliff" is closer to the camp ground

sbaclimber

Aug 20, 2004, 1:09 PM
Post #8 of 8 (3473 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, there is bouldering there, though I wouldn't call it much. Just ask someone at the campground where the scuba divers go. There is a small car park before a chain across the road (normally locked if there are not scuba divers around) walk past the chain and left just into the woods right before the area where the divers launch from. There is a rather large boulder sitting in the woods right there.
If you continue straight up the hill from there (bearing a little right) you will eventually come to some short faces with a few trad and sport routes (the most direct approach will take you through a boulder field of significant proportions). Further up is the very vertical face visible from the campground. As far as I know there are only a couple of aid routes on that face, and be aware that climbing is generally not allowed from spring until about August due to Perigrin falcons, this applies to the main slab as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook