RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wvrocks

Aug 10, 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Damaged Omega Jake Locker?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all, this is my first post here. Great site. Anyway, I just ordered
three OP Jake screwgates online. They came yesterday and each one has a small divot in the rope bearing area on both ends of the biner. They are about 1.5 mm x 3 mm and sort of scooped out. They don't feel particularly sharp but i'm concerned about them causing extra rope wear when used for TR master points. Is this normal for the Jakes or is something wrong here. I'm pretty new to climbing and just wasn't sure if these were damaged. Btw, when they arrived they were all hooked together and were in with a bunch of webbing. So they were pretty well padded. Thanks for your help.

Partner sauron

Aug 10, 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Re: Damaged Omega Jake Locker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
three OP Jake screwgates online. They came yesterday and each one has a small divot in the rope bearing area on both ends of the biner. They are about 1.5 mm x 3 mm and sort of scooped out. They don't feel particularly sharp but i'm concerned about them causing extra rope wear when used for TR master points. Is this normal for the Jakes or is something wrong here. I'm pretty new to climbing and just wasn't sure if these were damaged. Btw, when they arrived they were all hooked together and were in with a bunch of webbing. So they were pretty well padded. Thanks for your help.

The marks you see, is a result of the manufacturer load-testing the carabiners during the manufacturing process, to ensure that they are within the allowable specifications.

Every single carabiner I have seen, had them.

- d.

moeman

Aug 10, 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The marks you see, is a result of the manufacturer load-testing the carabiners during the manufacturing process, to ensure that they are within the allowable specifications.

Every single carabiner I have seen, had them.

- d.

Yup. Be glad those divots are there; they show that the biners actually were tested to half-load (about 12 Kn). I would be quite concerned if I got an Omega biner that did NOT have divots, which would indicate that they did not test it. Fortunatley, Omega tests all thier biners to make sure they don't sell a biner that is weaker than it should be due to a manufactuing error.

Plus, those divots will wear down and become invisible after a couple months of heavy use of the biners. And to my knowledge, they will not damage, wear, or abrade your rope in any way.

wvrocks

Aug 10, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, Thanks guys. Figured it was ok, just wanted to make sure.

onbelay510

Sep 26, 2004, 4:50 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I acually recieved a Jake from REI that was cracked. It didn't show until the anodization wore off. They exchanged it for me though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook