Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #1 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Publicly Posting the Contents of a PM
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, Take 2 - this time without the freudian slip and screwy choices. ;)

We've been debating the pros/cons of making a change to the TOS and wanted to get some feedback from the community at large before doing so.

Currently, the TOS says that it's in poor taste to publicly post PMs, and we're looking at upping the ante to make it officially against the rules.

What do you think?

ps. I've set the poll to run for 14 days. If we're still getting a lot of comments near the end of that period, I'll extend the poll.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 3:33 AM
Post #2 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

amber_chk moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amber_chk moved this thread from Site Administration to Suggestions & Questions.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 3:36 AM
Post #3 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Re: Publicly Posting the Contents of a PM [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From Curt, in the original thread that I inadvertently screwed up. ..

In reply to:
IMO, what this place doesn't need is some additional "rule" to enforce on the user base. Posting a PM in a public forum may be bad manners, but should hardly constitute a crime of some sort. Also, remember if you send a PM to me--its now mine. If you fear that someone might post your PM publically, and that you may be embarrassed as a result, you might want to think twice about sending that PM.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 3:43 AM
Post #4 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PPS - Those of you who voted before will need to vote again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

redpointron

Aug 11, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #5 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
From Curt, in the original thread that I inadvertently screwed up. ..

In reply to:
IMO, what this place doesn't need is some additional "rule" to enforce on the user base. Posting a PM in a public forum may be bad manners, but should hardly constitute a crime of some sort. Also, remember if you send a PM to me--its now mine. If you fear that someone might post your PM publically, and that you may be embarrassed as a result, you might want to think twice about sending that PM.

thanks amber for re-posting curt's previous post. he hit the nail on the proverbial head. now you can lock the thread. :wink:

r.r.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
thanks amber for re-posting curt's previous post. he hit the nail on the proverbial head. now you can lock the thread. :wink:

No problem, and I would offer to update the polling options to include this - but I've already messed the damn thing up once already. ;)

darth_gaydar

Aug 11, 2004, 3:59 AM
Post #7 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is the purpose of the poll?
Are you going to allow the majority to dictate?
Or just give the illusion that this is the case?
With so many registered users, how many people does it take before you feel you've reached a consensus?

This should be a no-brainer. Private means private. Ever since Clinton got away with that "meaning of is" crap, people have been pulling all sorts of tricks with meanings. Why have doors that cannot be closed?

Keep private messages private, and like communications between clergy, doctors, spouses, other priviledged people. Maintain the integrity of the communications system. Penalize harshly those that have disregard for this simple, yet so fundamental, issue, no matter what position they may hold. In fact, the more "official" a person is, the higher the standards they should be measured up against. What has happened to integrity?

roughster

Aug 11, 2004, 4:14 AM
Post #8 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted for the 2nd hardest violation (meaning it leads down the standard issue path towards banning, but is not an immediately banable offense), but also think the offending thread should be nuked.

The reason for this is simple:

It is called a PRIVATE Message. Not a personal, not a semi-private, not a "may get posted" message, but a PRIVATE Message. Considering the current wording of PRIVATE message, and if the course of action is to remain with private messages being "publishable", they shouild be changed to be called "Personal Messages". Private implies, hell not even that, is SAYS it is private.

The current rationale on "netiquette" is that publishing private messages or Emails is a no no. This is almost exclusively the rule across all websites and forums. If RC.com wants to be sleazier than the rest, so be it, but know that it is not the norm.

From Online Netiquette:

In reply to:
Keep in mind that all private e-mail is considered to be copyrighted by the original author. If you post private e-mail to a public list or board, or forward it to an outside party in whole or in part, you must include the author's permission to post the material publicly. Not doing so can get you into some deep doo-doo legally or with your friends and associates. Think of it this way... how would you feel if a personal private e-mail that you had written for a specific purpose/person is then plastered across the Internet or forwarded to folks you do not know? Always ask for permission before forwarding or posting any private e-mails!

You know how many scathing and unprofessional PMs I have from "certain" people about other people (and I think the majority of the site users would find the PMs VERY interesting) I have? How would the site Admins feel if I unleashed those in a slaughterhouse thread? I wouldn't do that, but it sure would be fun, lol :lol:

If a PM is sent to you that you find offensive, forward it on to an admin. Though I would chose your admins wisely. A few of the current ones have either directly supported or have personally published private emails, private messages, and personal information in the past to the general forums.

Partner calamity_chk

Aug 11, 2004, 4:14 AM
Post #9 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i guess i'm not very good at upholding this silly nazi reputation, but i'm not big on the idea of doing some ad hoc change to site policy without gathering community feedback first. changing the TOS affects everyone.

In reply to:
Are you going to allow the majority to dictate?
why not? posting PMs has the potential to affect everyone.

In reply to:
Or just give the illusion that this is the case?
why would we waste our time trying to come up with ways to deceive people? that's just silly.

In reply to:
With so many registered users, how many people does it take before you feel you've reached a consensus?
as i mentioned in the original post, the poll is currently set to run for two weeks (14 days). if the thread is still active at that time, i'll extend the poll. in other words, we're not looking for a specific number of people to respond. we're just providing a reasonable amount of time for people to respond. (2 weeks is much longer than the average lifespan of a thread around here.)

curt

Aug 11, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #10 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I voted for the 2nd hardest violation (meaning it leads down the standard issue path towards banning, but is not an immediately banable offense), but also think the offending thread should be nuked.

The reason for this is simple:

It is called a PRIVATE Message. Not a personal, not a semi-private, not a "may get posted" message, but a PRIVATE Message. Considering the current wording of PRIVATE message, and if the course of action is to remain with private messages being "publishable", they shouild be changed to be called "Personal Messages". Private implies, hell not even that, is SAYS it is private.

Private, in this context, merely means that when the PM originator sends the PM, it goes only to the designated private party--and not to the public at large. To expand upon this meaning is quite absurd.

Curt

Partner cliffhanger9

Aug 11, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #11 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Private, in this context, merely means that when the PM originator sends the PM, it goes only to the designated private party--and not to the public at large.

so i think what the original question is asking is when "the designated private party" actually does turn it around "to the public at large" should this behaviour be addressed??

personally i think depending on the situation and the contents of the PM it could be the middle one...where the PM could be removed by moderators and a PM to the recipient why it was removed

curt

Aug 11, 2004, 4:55 AM
Post #12 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Private, in this context, merely means that when the PM originator sends the PM, it goes only to the designated private party--and not to the public at large.

so i think what the original question is asking is when "the designated private party" actually does turn it around "to the public at large" should this behaviour be addressed??

And my point is that once you send information to someone else--you do not own the sole right to that information anymore, you and they own it jointly. You are freely giving it to them to use as they see fit. There are no copyright issues here, absent a properly executed confidentiality agreement previously entered into by both the originator and the recipient of such information.

Curt

roughster

Aug 11, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #13 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Private, in this context, merely means that when the PM originator sends the PM, it goes only to the designated private party--and not to the public at large. To expand upon this meaning is quite absurd.

Curt

Actually, private in this context does not just mean that it only goes to the designated party. Go to any other reputable website with a Private Message system and look at their TOS concerning Private Messages. You will find pretty much universally that they have strict policies regarding the publication of private messages.

If RC.com wants to change the meaning of a Private Message to a Personal Message, which more adequately describes what you are saying the current "context" of the messages by which thet are sent under, then they should do exactly that, change the title to "Personal Message".

Look up "private" in a dictionary, it is clear as to what the definition is:

In reply to:
- Secluded from the sight, presence, or intrusion of others.
- Designed or intended for one's exclusive use
- Of or confined to the individual
- Undertaken on an individual basis
- Not available for public use, control, or participation

I think that last one hits the nail on the head.

roughster

Aug 11, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #14 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There are no copyright issues here, absent a properly executed confidentiality agreement previously entered into by both the originator and the recipient of such information.

Curt

Curt,

Thats the whole point of this. Putting that "agreement" into the TOS. When you use the sytem you agree to abide by the Terms of Service, hence the agreement is made. The rest of the net does it. RC should too if it plans on maintaining is credability as a major activity web-portal.

curt

Aug 11, 2004, 5:11 AM
Post #15 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

Actually, private in this context does not just mean that it only goes to the designated party. Go to any other reputable website with a Private Message system and look at their TOS concerning Private Messages. You will find pretty much universally that they have strict policies regarding the publication of private messages.

If RC.com wants to change the meaning of a Private Message to a Personal Message, which more adequately describes what you are saying the current "context" of the messages by which thet are sent under, then they should do exactly that, change the title to "Personal Message".

Look up "private" in a dictionary, it is clear as to what the definition is:

In reply to:

I think that last one hits the nail on the head.

Yes, but that definition applies only to the initial transmission from the original sender to the original recipient as being private. After that, the recipient of such information is quite free to do with it what he/she sees fit. The recipient is under absolutely NO obligation to keep the information sent to him/her private.

Curt

Partner macherry

Aug 11, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #16 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If a PM is sent to you that you find offensive, forward it on to an admin. Though I would chose your admins wisely. A few of the current ones have either directly supported or have personally published private emails, private messages, and personal information in the past to the general forums.

I'm sorry but i take offense at this! I don't have prior knowledge as to what happened before i joined rc.com, but don't start hauling out the trash. As far as i know, all admins and mods can be trusted with questionable/personal pm's.

sorry roughster, but that's just bad form!

Partner tim

Aug 11, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #17 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sorry but i take offense at this! I don't have prior knowledge as to what happened before i joined rc.com

A lot. That's why there have been so many polls lately. Not enough input and discussion from the community at large went into some of the past decisions. This isn't a little west-coast treehouse anymore. We're experiencing some growing pains; try not to take offense -- it is after all volunteers like you that make the site function at all.

Timy Fairfield didn't deserve to have his dirty laundry aired (actually he came off looking like a pretty well considered guy, regardless of how he feels about sika; wyattearp has a history of zero personal integrity or maturity, and it showed through right from the start). This left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. The question is whether to explicitly state that, when you choose to use this site, among the agreements you make with us is "I won't go posting some guy's private messages as part of a character assassination on a site that gets several hits per second". I kinda think we should. What 'wyattearp' (note lack of real name, per standard troll M.O.) did was low class, and it doesn't help anyone for the site to passively encourage this kind of behavior.

fenix83

Aug 11, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #18 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Keep private messages private, and like communications between clergy, doctors, spouses, other priviledged people. Maintain the integrity of the communications system. Penalize harshly those that have disregard for this simple, yet so fundamental, issue, no matter what position they may hold. In fact, the more "official" a person is, the higher the standards they should be measured up against. What has happened to integrity?

The big differnce is that the conversations with the people you mentioned above are privileged for very specific resons, basically because they ussualy concern very personal matters. Tarpitting people for disclosing PMs would be like giving people fines for blabbing other peoples' secrets in real life. Unles there is a very powerful reason to do this, it makes very little sens, IMHO.

In this, like in any community, you should be very careful about whom you choose to confide in. It's like the saying goes: "If you want people to keep a secret, don't tell them!"

-F

roughster

Aug 11, 2004, 5:24 AM
Post #19 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, but that definition applies only to the initial transmission from the original sender to the original recipient as being private. After that, the recipient of such information is quite free to do with it what he/she sees fit. The recipient is under absolutely NO obligation to keep the information sent to him/her private.

Curt

Does it? Look at the bolded sections which clearly state that it is not just the transmition but also the intended use that is covered:

In reply to:

Intrusion, exlusive use, confined, not available for public participation all very clearly show that it is not just a meaning of "transit" but also in the use of the contents of the message.

If your opinion is that we should maintain status quo, thats one thing, but Private Message does not accurately describe your "interpetation" of the of the system. "Personal Message" however does.

Partner sauron

Aug 11, 2004, 5:25 AM
Post #20 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Quit being so bitter, Aaron.

There are very strong legal arguments for including verbiage as follows, in the TOS:

In reply to:
Persuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. 2510 et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities by this system for sending or recieving completely private or confidential electronic communications.

Your continued use of this online system constitutes acceptance of the above notice.

- d.

Partner tim

Aug 11, 2004, 5:28 AM
Post #21 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The big differnce is that the conversations with the people you mentioned above are privileged for very specific resons, basically because they ussualy concern very personal matters. Tarpitting people for disclosing PMs would be like giving people fines for blabbing other peoples' secrets in real life. Unles there is a very powerful reason to do this, it makes very little sens, IMHO.

At first glance, I want to agree with you. But the behavior that is encouraged (or "not discouraged") in the public forums can have pretty significant impacts on people. A number of Timy Fairfield's friends signed up for the express purpose of defending his character. Do we want people coming to the site to stem the tide of a character assassination -- is that the best we have to offer? If not, is there any reason to encourage such a negative climate?

Our existing policy should be reconsidered, in light of what's happened. Even if only to let people know that attempts to use the website as a bully pulpit for character assassinations simply cannot be tolerated. It's not decent and it's not acceptable, regardless of the mechanism. Whether through discipline or simple 'cleanup', this degree of malicious misconduct cannot be allowed to stand or the site will become a cesspool.

(more so)

fenix83

Post #22 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

There are very strong legal arguments for including verbiage as follows, in the TOS:

In reply to:
Persuant to the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 U.S.C. 2510 et seq.), notice is hereby given that there are no facilities by this system for sending or recieving completely private or confidential electronic communications.

Your continued use of this online system constitutes acceptance of the above notice.

- d.

That, I like...

-F

alpnclmbr1

Post #23 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
People shouldnt say things privately if they arent prepared to take public responsibility for their words.

That about covers it for me.

Partner tim

Aug 11, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #24 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
People shouldnt say things privately if they arent prepared to take public responsibility for their words.

That about covers it for me.

Have you ever been misquoted in a newspaper? I worked in DC for long enough to see this happen to numerous people -- the power of the press can be a terrifying thing. And with the exposure this site has, it has effectively become part of the press.

fenix83

Aug 11, 2004, 5:41 AM
Post #25 of 116 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

At first glance, I want to agree with you. But the behavior that is encouraged (or "not discouraged") in the public forums can have pretty significant impacts on people. A number of Timy Fairfield's friends signed up for the express purpose of defending his character. Do we want people coming to the site to stem the tide of a character assassination -- is that the best we have to offer? If not, is there any reason to encourage such a negative climate?

I agree that this sort of behaivour should be discouraged, but the TOS, as is, does that. It clearly states that it is frowned upon and considered rude and bad form. I belive that taking it to the next level, by actively policing it, is taking on too much of a "big brother" position.

Tim, you were a part of the M&E discussion about policing the Community forum, which later came out through one of Ambers' posts. If we as a community don't want this sort of behaviour/people in our midst, our actions, not those of the administration, should reflect it. If people who post PMs are ostricized (sp?) by the community for their actions, this would seem to be a more effective method of ending this practice. This sort of "he siad she said" finger poinitng belongs in the fourth grade, where most of us left it. In the end, I our "society" should police itself as much as possible, leaving the administration for only the most extreme cases.

In reply to:
Our existing policy should be reconsidered, in light of what's happened. Even if only to let people know that attempts to use the website as a bully pulpit for character assassinations simply cannot be tolerated. It's not decent and it's not acceptable, regardless of the mechanism. Whether through discipline or simple 'cleanup', this degree of malicious misconduct cannot be allowed to stand or the site will become a cesspool.

(more so)

What this all boils down to is, would you call the cops if a neighbor to whom you sent a personal letter passed it around to his friends? Sounds to me more like a kid telling the teacher that "Suzie showed everyone the note I sent her..."

Just my $.02

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook