Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sun Protection - How serious do you take it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

far_east_climber

Aug 13, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #1 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Sun Protection - How serious do you take it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, how seriously do you protect yourself when outdoors in the sun? Nothing at all? Sun protection may not be much of an issue in the far N/S areas, but in most places, you have to be proactive. Also, how many of you wear sunglasses? I don't wear them as much as I could but I think they are under-rated and much less spoken of, unlike sun cream and hats.

jamaica

Aug 13, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #2 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sun Protection - How serious do you take it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only use sun screen when I'm playing in the snow or the water, but I love my sunglasses and my hat.

Jamaica

rmiller

Aug 13, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #3 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People need to take sun exposure very seriously. I developed cancerous cells on my lip due to years of sun damage at the ripe age of 31. I had them frozen off and have not had any recurrences in 2 years, but I sure have developed a lot of other questionable spots on my body. Guess growing up as a surfer and skater in Florida, Snowborder and climber in Colorado, and the same in CA has taken its tool. The AZ sun doesn't help much now, but I have become a little bit smarter. Slap on some sunscreen, it takes 2 minutes and can save you a lot of anxiety.
Ronnie
Ronnie

far_east_climber

Aug 13, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #4 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I think it's very important aswell. I know a person who has developed a red growth on the membrane of her eye because of sailing without sunglasses for 10 years. It's now spreading across the main section of the eye, however will hopefully be removed sucessfully before she goes entirely blind in that eye.

salamanizer

Aug 13, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #5 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not nearly seriously enough, but I love my shades :D

tahoe_rock_master

Aug 13, 2004, 4:43 AM
Post #6 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wear sunglasses. When it is shady or dark I just put in lighter lenses. I cannot stand being outside without them. As for sunscreen I wear it if I know I will be in the sun, like if I go out for an afternoon session. But if I go in the morning and it is shady then it gets sunny I usually forget the sunscreen in the car or something. I got a little burnt climbing today!!!

Matt

Partner eyecannon

Aug 13, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #7 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It should be taken very seriously. There is no such thing as a "safe" suntan, though getting a tan is far less bad for your skin than a sunburn. You should wear sunscreen everyday, especially on your face if you want to prevent wrinkles in the future. I wear 15 on my face every day, and 60 on all exposed parts if I'm going to be out in the sun for more than 5 minutes.

I used to not really think about it much, but my GF is a makeup artist and knows skin very well, so she has gotten me into the good habit of wearing SPF everyday.

Also, I always wear sunglasses with UV filtration whenever I'm outside and it's sunny.

Some info: http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/SunSkin.html

Partner climbinginchico

Aug 13, 2004, 4:47 AM
Post #8 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always have my sunglasses with me. Part of it is my sunglass fetish, I have Rudy Project, Oakley, Briko, Bolle, and Gucci shades. 8^)
I also lobsterfy (I know, I just made up a word :? ) fast, so I use the Neutrogena Active Sport SPF 45 liberally and often. Plus, I need to protect my tattoos so they don't fade.

onelung

Aug 13, 2004, 4:49 AM
Post #9 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a whitey working on the Big Blue Pacific for most my life, I take it very seriously. I sunscreen every morning, wear long sleeve shirts, hat and sunglasses religously.

Aloha,
bill

salamanizer

Aug 13, 2004, 5:08 AM
Post #10 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gee, would'nt it suck if someone found out sun screen also causes cancer? I can't tell what's in that stuff, can you?

shortfatoldguy

Aug 13, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #11 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SPF45 in the morning before the climbing starts. Then I smoke at the belay. :roll:

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 13, 2004, 7:18 AM
Post #12 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretty serious now...

In the last year, I've had almost 20 Basil Cell Carcinomas sawed off my shoulders and back.

imnotclever

Aug 13, 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #13 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wear my helmet all the time, when climbing, and it's mostly to keep my balding head from burning. I could wear a hat, but hey I'm climbing.

dfoerstel

Aug 13, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #14 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you don't take it serious now, you will after you've had some surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma. I can't tell you the number of times I "forgot" to put sunscreen on in my 20's & 30's. I should post some pictures from the surgeries but it's not pretty.

More info

http://www.skincancer.org/basal/index.php

Dave

jdouble

Aug 13, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #15 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the ears!!!! I saw some study that said in Australia the number one spot for skin cancer is the ears.

Banana Boat 50 in the black tube. I tested a lot in the surf and at high altitudes, that stuff won.

FarEastClimber, be careful in Hong Kong. Smog cuts a lot of the pollution, so I got lazy with my sunscreen while living in South China, then went elsewhere and got fried.

korporal

Aug 13, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #16 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is sunny out and I am planning on spending lots of time outside I will put on some SPF 30 on all exposed skin. As far as an everyday basis I don't do anything special. I might pick up some polarized sunglasses soon. And if it is raining or heavly overcast I don't bother either.

wannabelaybabe

Aug 13, 2004, 5:02 PM
Post #17 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i pretty much slather up my bod whenever i am going outside to do anything... climbing, soccer, gardening, and sun bathing even for just 30 minutes. i have 2 2-inch scars on my back from where i had two moles removed as a precaution. hate that they are there, but they are reminders for me.
i also learned (through embarrassment) to get the entire arm and chest, not just the shoulder... i had plenty of florida peninsula sunburns from where i did not get the sunscreen all over.

dlintz

Aug 13, 2004, 5:29 PM
Post #18 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More serious these days. I'm having 6 "suspicious" growths removed from my back and shoulders in a few weeks. From age 5 to 16 I practically lived at the neighborhood swimming pool never using sunscreen and all those years of exposure are catching up with me (age 34).

As far as sunglasses go........ 8^) oh yeah.

d.

youreup

Aug 13, 2004, 5:40 PM
Post #19 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always carry lip balm with me as well.

So what are people's recommendations for sun screens? I've noticed I sweat less when I use nongreasy types.

snoangel

Aug 13, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #20 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I apply Banana Boat (ultra sweat/waterproof) SPF 30 on all exposed areas, especially the ears & hair part. (Peeling on your head looks like a bad case of dandruff and is not pretty, let me tell you.) I apply before I dress so that I am sure to get the areas at my clothing's edge. I also carry a stick of SPF 30 sunblock with me so that I can reapply overly exposed or sweaty areas, like my shoulders or forehead, throughout the day. On my lips, I wear an SPF 30 lip balm, which I reapply constantly.

As far as sunglasses, I wear those all day too. When it gets overcast or shady, I change lenses. Even when there is no sun, I wear clear lenses, but that is to protect my eyes (and contacts) from getting dust in them. (Sunglasses are Smith Toasters.) Finally, while belaying or hanging out, I wear a visor to keep the sun off my face.

crossfit2

Aug 13, 2004, 6:28 PM
Post #21 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what a timely post. I literaly just got back from the dermatologist where they zapped 11 "iffy" pre cancerous legions and removed a large asyymetrical freckle above my lip for a biopsy. I look like I just got my ass beat! At 35 im too late to undo the damage that I did at an earlier age and still loathe wearing sun screen but it really is a must. Insurance covered my visit but I looked at the bill and it was around $1600.00 for a 45 minute visit. Sunscreen is what, 5 bucks? Most of my damage seems to have occurred on Alpine routes where my lips, nose, cheeks have always gotten fried. The doc recommended some new coppertone 50 that is out that apparently doesnt sting. eyes.

highminded

Aug 14, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #22 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All defference to those who have had basal cell carcinoma (any kind of cancer is scarey) but that's not the one that kills you. It's melanoma you've got to worry about. It metastasizes (spreads) to other organs... and then you die.

Current epidemiologic evidence suggests that serious (blistering) sun burns as a child or early teen predispose you to developing melanoma. You are particularly susceptible if you are fair skinned, blond and/or blue-eyed. The critical time to guard your skin is when you are young.

If you're an adult and you've sunburned seriously in the past, keep an eye on your moles and skin spots and go to dermatologist for a check-up at least once every two years.

Good information can be found at: http://www.cancer.gov/...rinfo/wyntk/melanoma

phineas

Aug 14, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #23 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, basil cell won't kill you, but it can disfigure. Not to mention it hurts like hell getting them cut out. Can't match rradam (hope I don't) but at four and counting... Take it seriously!

far_east_climber

Aug 14, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #24 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recommend using a high factor lib balm for the nose and upper cheek (below eyes) region. I wouldn't use anything lower than 40. I see some people use 15, what's the point? Put on suntan even during cloudy/overcast conditions because UV can penetrate. For the main face and neck region I find using a pasty surf cream is best. For the arms and legs use anything. Even if it doesn't look sunny, wear some anyway, just because you don't burn it doesn't mean your skin hasn't been exposed/affected.

tradbum

Aug 14, 2004, 1:55 AM
Post #25 of 31 (2479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be a dipshit...Sunscreen.

During years of ranching, we never wore it, but always wore long sleeve shirts and pants. But my hands look like they belong to a 70 year-old.

The classic ranchers' tan used to be a thing to laugh at, now it's skin that's not FUBAR'D. (Now I really have to be careful for the frostbite on the ears...)

I'm a friggin' Mick, so I look like a lobster even with spf45. My baby girl doesn't go outside without it.

Wear it.

Climb safe!

Smitty

As a caveat, anything you do will probably end up killing you, especially living. :wink:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook