Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sun Protection - How serious do you take it?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

davisjl1979

Aug 14, 2004, 1:57 AM
Post #26 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sun Protection - How serious do you take it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I try to use sunblock whenever I can. I mainly use SPF15. Gotta even out the farmer tan somehow. I also make sure I let my wife apply it so I don't get the greasy hands.

pixelguru

Aug 14, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #27 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deadly serious.

Being red-haired and fair skinned, I flash-fry in direct sunlight.
My father (also a red-head) had skin cancer (fortunately caught early), but it isn't a matter of "if" I'll get it too... it's just a question of when.

I practically bathe in #64 sunscreen.
I re-apply every 30 minutes.
I don't miss any spots.

It's taken most of my adult life to get good at protecting myself. Red-heads should really come with instruction manuals... Non-red-headed parents who have red-headed kids should have to complete some sort of training course or certificate program before they can take the babies home.

When I was four, my mother took me out into the sun a little too long and I burned so bad that my eyes swelled shut. I've burned the tops of my feet, and the backs of my knees to the point where I couldn't walk or bend my legs for 4 days. I burned my scalp so that it looked like hamburger. I kringe during vampire movies when the undead sizzle and combust in the face of the sun's rays.

My claim to fame though is that I once did a 6-hour bicycle ride at night under a very bright full moon, and I got a light sunburn on my forearms from the moonlight!!! When I took my gloves off, you could see a clear line of pink at my wrists.

You can spot me a mile away... I'm the freak sitting in the shade, wearing the hat, sunglasses, t-shirt, slathering on the coconut scented white latex house paint. Anything else would be suicide.

everestsbaby

Aug 15, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #28 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im pretty lazy abt sunscreen except in the snow...though i never forget my shades. SpF 50 for asian countries is the safest and best.

Partner tyify

Aug 15, 2004, 4:32 AM
Post #29 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Cough* I love Alaska. Where the peak UV is 4 (Hawaii is at 12 this time of the year)! Yay! Its wonderful being able to climb all day and not worry about it. You are more likely to get burned spring skiing then in the summer...sad :lol:

nmoroder

Aug 15, 2004, 7:24 AM
Post #30 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not seriously enough at all.

When I was a kid my mom would slather me in that greasy sunblock 24/7. I think I absorbed so much into my bloodstream that my body just started making it...

Honestly though, since I don't burn I tend not to use much sunblock. I really should.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 15, 2004, 7:52 AM
Post #31 of 31 (1888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I said on the first page... I have had many BSC's removed.

As my dermatologist said, approximately 85% of your lifetime UV dose is accumulated before you are 18. (I got many blistering sunburns from 6-10 years old, as my mom didn't put sunscreen on me, and I grew up on the beach.) As per the doc, with that amount of UV dose, my skin tone (light, blonde, blue), and the amount of BCS's this early, it is probably 50/50 that I will develope Melanoma, but that if detected early, it is 99% curable.

Note... I know a person who had a Melanoma removed from under his thumbnail, and my doc removed one from between the toes of a 26 year old female with brown hair and brown eyes with dark skin. It is not only caused by UV, and strikes people with dark skin also, just much more rarely.

Another note... Squamish Cell is also another cancer to look out for. Not as bad as Melanoma, but much worse than Basels.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook