RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climbingfreak

Aug 14, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Pain in lower left back
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last week I injured my lower back, bouldering in the gym. I think its the lats? I climbed the next day, then took the next day off and have been on and off for the rest of the week. How long should i take off. It hurts to use side pulls or pull down on it. How long is the downtime for this type of injury?

no-brakes
Deleted

Aug 14, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Re: Pain in lower left back [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no doctor, but...

Depending on the injury, I imagine a few days off and then climbing a few grades easier would help. Trying to climb through an injury never works for me and I've had to take several months off (which really sucks) to allow myself to heal from climbing related injuries. Your body will tell you when it's ready to start cranking hard again.

If the injury feels serious and doesn't improve within a week or so, see a doctor. Nothing's worse than further injurying yourself just because you didn't take enough time off to heal properly.

Whatever the injury is, hope it doesn't keep you down for long.

roboclimber

Aug 14, 2004, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Strains are small tears in the muscle fibers or small tears in the tendinous insertion at the bone. If the strain is very severe, then you may need several weeks off (four to six weeks; you may need evaluation to differentiate a strain from a full blown rupture or tear). If the strain is more minor, then take it easy for one week, and then slowly ease back in to your old workout. Do not push through the pain of the injury. Your body is hollering at you for a reason. If you have insurance, go see a physician. The injury may be musculoskeletal dysfunction that can be treated with massage therapy or PT (it may not be a strain at all).

climbingfreak

Aug 16, 2004, 2:04 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for your help, however what should I do in the meantime? Massage, crunches, back strengthing exercises, or heat? Thanks

climbingpride

Aug 16, 2004, 4:35 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Something like this recently happened to me, but on the bottom right side of my back. I was leading outside on a set of 5.11c and 512a routes where the cruxes were strong moves on crapy crimps, at a wierd angle, always with the right hand. Now I am one of the weaker climber out there, i just know how to manipulate this 6'5" 160 lbs body. :lol: Anyways, driving back home i realized that when i flexed my back.... it moved up. :shock: Now this was new to me. It hurt a little bit every time i flexed it but it stopped moving and felt good 2 days later and i went climbing again a week after that. I didn't want to break my body again.

BTW, did I just pull something or what?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook