Forums: Climbing Partners: US - South:
Sport Climbing Guidebooks (worth spending money on)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

andy_reagan

Aug 20, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Sport Climbing Guidebooks (worth spending money on)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone! I'm interested in hearing your opinions on what guidebooks are worth spending my limited funds on for any and all areas in the South East. At this point, I am only looking for sport climbing beta, but I understand there will be some cross over.

What guides are good? Which ones suck? I'll be mainly climbing in North Carolina, as well as New River Gorge, Obed, etc. Any and all quality sport climbing areas somewhat within range of NC are on my list.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any input. 8^)

lordjim

Aug 20, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #2 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sport Climbing Guidebooks (worth spending money on) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the Red! Depending on how hard you send there is sport here. But don't spend your $ on a guide book for the red since they are all out of print(?). Slide on over to redriverclimbing.com and pick up the topos from there. Once the new ed comes out then get that one since the RRGCC is putting that one out.

Dixie Craggers Atlas for TN, etc. is a good one but it's not a sport only, and I think it's out of print as well. Though the rumor is that someone is working on a second ed., the author maybe.

fredrogers

Aug 20, 2004, 4:08 PM
Post #3 of 3 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sport Climbing Guidebooks (worth spending money on) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some free topos you can download and print from www.DrTopo.com to some of these areas. I know they have stuff from Obed, New, Red. That should be enough to get you there and enjoy one weekend. Then you can ask the locals what guide is best while you're there.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook