Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

fugsco

Aug 23, 2004, 2:35 PM
Post #26 of 30 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Re: Thinking about opening a gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm also thinking of opening a gym. I don't think $1,000 a month for insurance is really that big of a problem, considering other operating expenses. Rent and labor and advertising will be far more expensive.
I'm also not sure that maintenance will cost that much. Compared to other businesses I've considered (coffee, food), the initial opening cost of a rock gym is a bit higher, but after that reinvestment is minimal. For anyone but a professional, it sounds like a lot of money to have to replace three or four ropes in a given month. But a few hundred in upkeep is nothing when ads cost you $3000 every month your first year.
I also wouldn't worry about competition, either from real rocks close to the gym or from University or other non-dedicated facilities. My experience while I lived in California was that my local gym competed with two others within an hour drive AND a wall at the U only a few minutes away, not to mention the Sierra Nevadas two hours away. they were doing pretty well. A huge part of this business will be creative marketing: corporate team building, birthday parties, kid clubs. Soccer moms are your bread and butter. If you have a bad attitude about these types of things, get a good job and go climb in your free time. A multi-hundred thousand dollar investment is NOT the way to support a hobby. But I think it can be a fun and rewarding way to spend time, make money, and get to play around at the gym.
I'm interested in more details anyone may have about start-up costs, hard revenues and projections, especially in a mid-western (i.e. nontraditional climbing) culture.

iconaddict

Aug 23, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #27 of 30 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I for one would be part of this so called "demand" as I happen to go to school in this town. I would also be willing to help you out with everything I can, but because I am a student that "help" doesnt include money but labor, yes. I know there are a few climbers in and around mankato that have dreamed of someone putting a gym in this town.

theboss

Aug 23, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #28 of 30 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
insurance aint gonna cost squat as long as you get your climbers to sign forms saying you are not responsible for any accidents. thats what they do at my gym at least
Worthless... trust me.

G
(gym owner)

dingus

Aug 23, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #29 of 30 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only gym owner I know personally pretty much gave up climbing once he opened the gym. Had no choice you see, a mountain of debt and not enough business to hire help. He needed to be open on weekends to get the Scouts crowd. Oh, and he also worked a 9 to 5 job too, cause the gym only broke even after servicing debt.

We all went out climbing. He went down to open up the gym.

We climbed all day. He watched birthday parties for ten year olds cause he couldn't afford to turn away cash business.

We came home and bragged the next day about what we'd done. He tried vicariously to live through our adventures.

As far as I know, the situation is unchanged.

Being in business for yourself means BEING IN BUSINESS ON YOUR OWN. All the time. 24. 7.

Do you really want that?

DMT

cin

Aug 23, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #30 of 30 (4336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

about competition...
I think that if the local University opens a wall it will only bring you business and increased interest. Lots of college kids have rich parents$$$$

It would definitely be a $hitload of work.
Prepare to ONLY climb indoors.
(At your wall )
The $$$$ is in the parties!
Let me repeat that...
THE $$$ IS IN THE PARTIES! ! !

If your OK with living like that so that you can bring rockclimbing to the masses single-handed than my hats off to you bro your brass cajones are bigger than ours!
And I salute you. And if I'm ever in Mankato (sp?) I'll climb at your wall!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook