RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

climbingpride

May 13, 2002, 1:54 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Where should i get my starting gear?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have just turned 16 and have been climbing for 2 years. Right now I only have my own shoes and harness. So I was wondering where should I get the rest of my gear, internet or REI? I have seen some good gear on the net but should I trust it? Is the shipping for a lot of gear too expensive?

Give me some of your opinions.

Thanks and spread the sport!

ponyryan

May 13, 2002, 2:07 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Where should i get my starting gear? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread has been posted several times. I wouldn't worry too much about shipping, it's usually negligble at worst. For example. acmeclimbing.com is $4 US. For reliability, use rockclimbing.com sponsors! People will not endorse bad sponsors. Support rockclimbing.com by supporting it's sponsors (those banner ads all over). I just endorsed acmeclimbing.com because sean that works there was MORE than helpful when dealing with me, and I got a good deal on some stuff. Check out other threads for more info though.

blindslap

May 15, 2002, 2:42 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think the biggest advantage as to were you buy your gear is how fast you want it. Stick to name brands for quality and i agree about using "rockclimbing.com" sponsers. If you want your gear quickly, go to REI, or a store like that and just pick it up. it's up to you.

blindslap

May 15, 2002, 2:43 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think the biggest advantage as to were you buy your gear is how fast you want it. Stick to name brands for quality and i agree about using "rockclimbing.com" sponsers. If you want your gear quickly, go to REI, or a store like that and just pick it up. it's up to you.

jdcox_9

May 15, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to REI or any other gear sale place and try things out there and then look online. It is usually cheaper online (if you find the right places), but make sure that what you order is something that you have actually tried(in the store).

Partner tim

May 15, 2002, 3:41 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you will be very satisfied if you call up Shoreline, Tom Shores is an extremely helpful and genuinely good natured person. Before he bought their assets I would have told you "Mountain High Limited".

Perhaps you can convince him to advertise here on RockClimbing.Com. It would be a very good fit, judging by the amount of new-ish climbers here who want to move safely into easy trad climbs and such.

liudolf

May 15, 2002, 3:57 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, you can get good quality, low price gear quickly from the internet sites, but there's NOTHING like having a local dealer.

You can show up, BS a while, check things out, play with them, feel the weight, draw on the staff's (usually ample) experience with almost all the gear in the shop, etc...

I guess you COULD go into your local gear store and do all those things, then run home and screw the guy out of the deal by purchasing on the net, but I prefer to spend a few extra bucks (formerly known as shipping money) to get the more important items from my local guy.

On the other hand, there are some things (quickdraws, for one) that he just can't match the internet prices on within my tolerances. Then I go to the net. After all, a draw IS a draw IS a draw, for the most part.

Just my 2 pfenig.

Jeremy

milesdesbrie

May 15, 2002, 4:43 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the recommendation for Shoreline. Tom Shores and his employees are indeed very good people and I get wonderful service from them.

climbingpride

May 16, 2002, 11:09 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info I will be sure to go to REI before I buy online.

cragman

May 20, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just some food for thought, I bought a lot of my start out equipment from sportextreme.com, really good prices and shipment was fast, however it doesn't beat personal suggestions by qualified and knowledgeable staff. I sure wish I had known about rc.com at the time, it would have saved me some time. People here are full of good knowledge, and good advice

rock_climbin_06

May 22, 2002, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went out and bought all my wedges and ropes and such at Sun and Ski Sports. I think that place has really nice stuff. They had all the things REI did so I bought the stuff there.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook