Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

breaksnclimbs

Aug 25, 2004, 6:08 PM
Post #26 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Re: Marijuana + Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
This form has just been pass on to the DEA, All confessing parties will be investigated by local field officers.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/

Like they give a rats ass about a few internet climbing puffers, all that tax money to file a couple of misdemeaners c'mon now!! I've had cops hand my sh!t back so they din't have to deal with the paper work!! Let them investigate me they won't find anything but a waste of their time.
DEA... Yeah right don't they have bigger spliffs to fry; like real
DRUG dealers and that sort of thing??
Live and let live other than that F**k 'em
SHEEESH!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
yours FREELY
rs3

petro

Aug 25, 2004, 6:14 PM
Post #27 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Reality is for those who can't handle drugs." -from the ceiling of the inXpot at the base of Keystone, can't remember who said it, go look if you care.

"Only users lose drugs." -My climbing buddy Mike, but I think someone might have beaten him to it.

Ever watch a stoned guy untangle a climbing rope. It's good for hours of laughs.

If embibing after, make sure to pack first. uhhhhhhhhh...

Where's my... What the??? What was I looking for? Oh, there it is, I thought it was lost forever. What were we just talking about? :roll:

puellamontis

Aug 25, 2004, 6:15 PM
Post #28 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a marriage made in heaven

very

Aug 25, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #29 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all I can say, is that after getting hit by a 200 lb rock and taking a 30 footer 20 pitches up the capitan, a fatty was the only thing that allowed me to climb through a broken finger and toe during a 36 hr push-

not to mention being scared out of my gourd-

bongs are like a helmet.

courage for your head, and only tools dont use one.

leinosaur

Aug 25, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #30 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think those who sign in as dead-horse advocates must be high, otherwise they'd realize that their responses are what's keeping this thread on the board!

If you don't like weed threads, don't read 'em, and fer dang sure don't reply!

In summary:
:deadhorse:

=

:deadhorse:

:tinfoilhat:

:righton:

pmyche

Aug 25, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #31 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's with the cartoon of frowney hitting a bleeding horse in the crotch? Oh, yes, I remember that warning in Reefer Madness.

Partner drector

Aug 25, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #32 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"I feel like I climb much better"... "I've never felt unsafe"...

I you could say that you DO climb better and that you ARE safe then go for it. If it's just a different feeling you get then maybe the feeling is being altered and you are still climbing badly and you are unsafe. I don't smoke or drink because, no matter what that stuff does to you, it will screw me up.

"I feel like I drive better" would be really funny coming from a guy in the tank for DUI.

cloudbreak

Aug 25, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #33 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://headshop.hightimes.com/...ct_images/p13792.jpg

bigga

Aug 25, 2004, 9:57 PM
Post #34 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there is a fairly decent chance the follow up to this thread will be put into the "injuries and accidents" section. Cmon guys, you cant be serious.

Sure, if things are going alright and you are a regular climber then you are in the realm of habit and you'll be ok because everything you are doing is second nature to you already... but what happens when something goes wrong... you think its ok to be stoned in that situation?

Try this. Lets say you are 100 meters up on a vertical spourt climb. The climb goes up and sideways so that the inteded way of getting down is to finnish the last pitch and then rap down to bolted anchors that are set up every 30,40 meters directly under the last pitches anchor. But you're not on the last pitch... you have 2 more to go... And it starts raining heavily.
Quickly the cliff becomes a waterfall, and you begin slipping and sliding on the rock because niether your hands nor your rock shoes stick to the rock like they used to. Everything gets drenched, worst of all the rope which now weighs far more than what it used to and is much harder to drag up. You think about leading up the last two pitches but decide against it since the next bolt (as well as all the bolts after that) are run out between 10 and 15 meters and with you slipping and sliding on the rock like that the chances of you taking a serious 30 meter fall are not in your favor and you dont want to leave your partner stuck to the rock while you are hanging somewhere unconcious. Rapping down the route you came isn't a piece of cake iether since the not only are the bolts below you also run out 15 meters, they aren't below you iether, they are down and sideways so to go down that way you have to abseil and traverse at the same time on slippery wet rock and hope that you find the bolt somewhere down there.
But its your best bet so u decide to go with it. Problem is your buddies who were supposed to climb up after you with the rope you were going to rap down with were brighter than you and decided not to go, so you have to abseil down 40 meter pitches on a 60 meter so you are going to have to use single bolts as anchors. So you find yourself with your partner, both of you crowding a single bolt, both of you clipped into this one bolt while through all this mess of biners slings and rope you have to get out of the rope and set up another station for another rapel, all the while having to stay aware in all that tangle of what is attached to what so that you dont untie the wrong know, remove the wrong sling, unscrew the wrong biner or make 1 of 100 other posible mistakes that all have the same ending. Meanwhile your hands are so cold that they are shaking like crazy and it hurts when you touch something, and you are begining to loose feeling in the fingers. You find it hard to open a biners gate, never mind unscrew a biner or untie a weighted knot. And you are trying to use the friction on your feet to lean back on the sling and give you some room, but there is no friction and while you are working you keep slipping into the anchor.
To make things worse, you've rapped down and clipped into a bolt, and when you try to bring the rope down from above, you realize that because of the added mass of the water the rope doesn't budge. You even pull together with your partner and it still doesn't want to come down... So you are in the middle of a cliff that is now a semi-waterfall, attached to a bolt, your whole body is now shaking from the cold and your rope has decided to stay at the last pitch....

Is anyone really gonna tell me that at anypoint during this whole story it wouldn't bother you if you or your partner were stoned? If so... well, each to there own. Personally I think the sport has enough inherit risk without adding in stuff that effect parts of the brain that deal with, among other things, concentration and problem solving...

climbhigh2005

Aug 25, 2004, 9:59 PM
Post #35 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This form has just been pass on to the DEA, All confessing parties will be investigated by local field officers.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/

it doesnt say anything about people talkinga bout smoking pot...

scubasnyder

Aug 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #36 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic is always stated, and its kinda getting old, if ur asking you probably already do it, so who cares do what u want, its your life.

dorkmaster

Aug 25, 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #37 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You do not appear to meet the qualifications for the Special Agent position at this time. To learn how you may qualify in the future, contact 1-800-DEA-4288 for your local DEA Recruitment Coordinator. For additional information on other DEA positions visit the rest of www.dea.gov.

dang. :oops:

Partner coylec

Aug 25, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #38 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yes, you may qualify! Please contact 1-800-DEA-4228 for your local DEA Recruitment Coordinator for additional information and an application.

Cool. I can get a job with the DEA and be a special agent! And go to climbing areas and arrest climbers who are harming nobody (but possiblity themselves)! I can mess with people who are minding their own business.

Until, of course, some climber beats me to death with a #10 slung hex or a #7 tri-cam.

coylec

iclimblilrocks

Aug 26, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #39 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1st off Its illiegal.
2nd it fucks up your gudgement
3rd you could seriously injure or kill someone if not yourself
4th its not worth it
5th your retarted to touch a joint
6 if you cant drive drunk or high, why should climbing be any differant

pot & alcohal+climbing= dead climber/climbers

bouldereldo

Aug 26, 2004, 4:01 AM
Post #40 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You make me sad :cry: . Look around you and wake up. Reefer is'n't all they've taught you it is :evil:.....

wonder1978

Aug 26, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #41 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you could learn something here soggydorito, not from the people who replied (a bunch of tired, bored, exasperated, useless replies), but from those that didn't bother replying at all. You'll notice that no 'true' pothead offered any modest opinion here, and that simply because we feel that the very fact of your asking for opinion probably means you're feeling insecure and shouldn't be doing it at all.
Although I prefer smoking after a good day of climbing, I often smoke before and during climbing. That said, I also smoke while driving my car, on my work breaks, before and after exams, before meeting my banker, after waking up in the morning (with an espresso), before going to bed, and on any other trivial occasion of my daily life. I don't care whether my partner smoked before belaying me simply because I can't tell if he did, and I take it for granted he did. If it's otherwise with you, you should think long and hard about what you're doing.

ben87

Aug 26, 2004, 4:24 AM
Post #42 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think being high could possibly compliment the experience of moving well on rock, if the element of risk is removed. So I would consider it in a bomber top-rop situation, with all systems carefully double checked (perhaps a sober friend checking).

However, in any area of climbing where risk and judgement are an element, I wouldn't ever want to do it. It just doesn't go together. Yes it could add unnescessary stupid risk, but also:

the joy of adventure climbing is that it makes the whole world buzz, it puts the brain and the senses into overdrive and your perception becomes acute. I wouldn't want to dilute or interfere with that.

-Ben

roboclimber

Aug 26, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #43 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought weed was one of those things that you did for fun in college, but eventually grew out of. Maybe I was wrong, or maybe I didn't inhale?

ralphwolf

Aug 26, 2004, 4:33 AM
Post #44 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
because we feel that the very fact of your asking for opinion probably means you're feeling insecure and shouldn't be doing it at all.

Yep.
Reading this thread I thought "If anybody with a truthful insight based on experience rather than blind panic or clawing for coolness posted it would be a Wonder(1978)".

A CLASSIC case of 'If you have to ask you won't understand the (ramifications of the) answer.'
Some can, some can't. Find out which one you are - or not. Either way it will be your decision... just like climbing and any number of things in life.

Oooow. ILLEGAL! One more risk!

I can't imagine how anyone posting here, of all web sites, forgets that taking a risk of (for example) falling is very, very different than actually falling. Risk / Reward calculations extend to drugs. Personal freedom issues apply, too. To people who hold both viewpoints.

Mark

chalkyhandsman

Aug 26, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #45 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marijuana (specifically the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, THC) stimulates the buildup of serotonine, which itself is produced naturally by the body and creates a sublime like feeling or effect. Therefore, a feeling of happiness or even carelessness subsequently, justifiably or not, will occur when a person smokes marijuana. (So, it is possible to achieve a detrimental state of peace of mind, making climbing or any other inherently dangerous activity unadvisable) So, there are some facts for you to chew on. I have smoked weed just so you all know, and I know several people that have smoked weed, many of whom have gone on to other, harder drugs and activities. And PS- I choose not to sedate myself, with mediums such as weed and consumerist and conformist driven television. Thinking and doing are the two most powerful freedoms we have as both humans and Americans.

dingus

Aug 26, 2004, 4:59 AM
Post #46 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is anyone really gonna tell me that at anypoint during this whole story it wouldn't bother you if you or your partner were stoned?

Bigga, that was beautiful man, just beautiful.

Through all that shit man??? It would bother me if I WASN'T stoned.

It would scare me if you were serious, son.

DMT

pushsendnorcal

Aug 26, 2004, 5:42 AM
Post #47 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me, I like climbing in my normal state of mind, I start losing coordination and all that shit

After climbing is when it is time to bake that shit. For me it relaxes my whole body and the stress my body just went through, fades away a little more than if I hadn't smoked.

Smoking after climbing on outdoor trips also make the hike down to the camp site very interesting, especially when its night time.

Good Times

bigga

Aug 26, 2004, 6:24 AM
Post #48 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol, now that makes sense...
P.S, the word was 'story' not 's___'

nice profile pic

soggydorito

Aug 26, 2004, 6:47 AM
Post #49 of 108 (10733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Marijuana (specifically the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, THC) stimulates the buildup of serotonine"
So do most antidepressants. Does that make people that take antidepressants careless and have bad judgement?
As far as the DEA thing, that's bulls--- and even if you DID happen to be a amazing awful person (which I do doubt), they couldn't do anything with an internet posting in a forum admitting to smoking pot. In fact, I could go tell a cop right now that I smoke pot, and they couldn't do anything to me.
Now, addressing the matter of this being a popular topic, I apologize. I didn't realize and would have just read the other threads had I known. If it bothers you that much, don't read it, and definitely don't reply. But in just 24 hours there are already 4 pages, the majority of which were legimate responses. Not someone complaining about how over-discussed the subject is. So, it must still maintain the interest of others.
Speeding is illegal and can potentially have (at least in my state) the same or higher fines than for possesing marijuana.
I know most climbers smoke. I've noticed. I just wanted to hear some discussion from other climbers on the topic.
I agree that doing any sort of multi-pitch or trad climbing would be scary as all hell terribly stoned, but that's just me. If you do it, more power to you.
I'm not insecure in pot habits, if I were, why would I do it? That just doesn't make any sense.
I normally don't like the entire world knowing I smoke, so how could it be that I smoke to be "cool" Sorry, you lose on that one too.
The reason you puke after drinking and smoking pot is because the two don't mix all that well. It's called the spins. I did it once (I puked) and have heard many bad stories. I don't ever do it anymore. A little of each is excellent. Too much of either or both leads to bad outcomes.
The elaborate, drawn-out story of someone having a REALLY bad day climbing would just suck in general. I don't think being stoned is really going to make it any better or worse. Chances are you're going to be pretty shaken if you make it through that anyway.

So, I think I covered everything, let me know if I missed anything.
-Barry

valenzuela

Aug 26, 2004, 9:52 AM
Post #50 of 108 (10893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After being around marijuana smokers for 36 years, I find that some have enhanced concentration and other veg out. The vegers inherently raise the adrenalin level at your favorite crag. Have you ever witnessed stupid stuff on the crag and thought what the hell? A brain wipe is better suited for the lazy boy, on the lazy boy, not my belayer.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook