RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tyify

Aug 27, 2004, 6:05 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Rating Posts?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the purpose of this new function? Do these go somewhere special or something? I'm very confused as to why i get to see a pile of crap apear or little happy thingy's...

overlord

Aug 27, 2004, 6:20 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rating Posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, you can vote if you like the post or not.

but i dont know what it does. maybe a forerunner of some kind of index that will tell you what kind of poter a user is, eg youd be able to spot a troll.

Partner tim

Aug 27, 2004, 7:29 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1014 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rating Posts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well, you can vote if you like the post or not.

but i dont know what it does. maybe a forerunner of some kind of index that will tell you what kind of poter a user is, eg youd be able to spot a troll.

Try this.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p?p=845093&filter=-1
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=845093&filter=0
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...hp?p=845093&filter=1

There are other things it's being used for, but filtering is about to become the most visible. It's not yet to the point where I'm willing to put a little Javascript thingy to toggle it on the fly, or a user profile option to select a default level, but it's almost there.

Posts that have 2 more piles of shit than piles of trophies get binned by default. Originally I was just going to have that hard-suppress such posts, and train the spam filter (which will start automatically bouncing sewage when we get into the thousands of ratings), but it seems to make more sense to have a sliding scale.

Ratings don't apply in community, and they apply only to posts, not people. (Although users who consistently post very poor quality submissions will find that their threads have a hard time making it onto the front page...) I have no respect whatsoever for the idea of 'rating' people's worth based on a limited set of their (online) actions and expressions. Someone who I find disagreeable personally may make an extremely good post (*cough* Beesty *cough*)... the only honest thing for me personally to do is recognize the quality of their contribution and rate it accordingly. Part of the reason votes are distributed randomly and in smallish quantities is to encourage honest evaluations rather than blowing your friends in print. The rest of the reason is that most posts are pretty ordinary.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook